Connection Points Bug - Resolved

Moderator: Benj

DCW

Connection Points Bug - Resolved

Post by DCW »

Hello guys... please can you fix this soonest - it is stopping my further development..!!!

using the JUMP to icons... you can create all A -> Z... okay...

Then try to create another JUMP to - it claims to be AA:AA ... and when you try to program the JUMP FROM ... icon...to AA:AA ... it doth not accept the instruction...!!!
I have tried - even a plain name... OKAY - and soon as you try to program the JUMP FROM ... icon... it just puts in an A...

So can this be fixed - ASAP.. please....??

thanks guys...
regards

If I done something wrong... please leave millions of messages.... that I DONE SOMETHING WRONG.... thanks...

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re. Connection Points Bug

Post by Benj »

Thanks for letting us know, that does sounds like a bug. I'll see if we can replicate the problem here and get it fixed.

In the meantime if you want to share your program or send to me via PM I'll have a look and see if I can suggest an alternate way of doing the same thing without using so many connection points.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: Connection Points Bug

Post by Steve »

Flowcode supports only 26 connection points per macro. If you require more, then I guess your macro is very long and complicated, and you should perhaps rewrite it and/or split it into smaller macros.

There are many debates about good programming practice, and some programmers recommend functions should be no more than 20 lines of code. This is not always practical, especially in an embedded context with limited chip resources (especially the depth of the call stack), but it does help understand the program's code when you can see the whole function on the screen at the same time.

Regards,
Steve.

DCW

Post by DCW »

Hello Benj... and Hello Steve....
So I did a bit of 'digging'... (not inside FC... ) but after some logical thinking... and I found something real interesting...!!!..
So just go create a flowchart like the following...

Make up a program... use build function to set a processor like PIC16F1936... running an INTERNAL clock of 16000000 Hz... with the normal settings for the CONFIG BITs... like one would start a program..

1) Then start with placing... a connection point (declare connection point).. between the BEGIN and END icons of the flowchart.

2) Then place ... a connection point (Jump to Connection Point).... just above the first icon...

3) This will give you two connection icons... one above the other... showing up in the flowchart... as A (Goto Connection Point) jumping off ... to connection point [A]:A ... (Connection Point) .. with a break.. like it should...

4) NOW... place another connection point (declare connection point).. just below the [A]:A ... now on the flowchart..

5) This will cause.. :B (Connection Point) to be on the flowchart..

6) Then.. place another icon .. (Goto Connection Point) ... between the [A]:A ... and the :B icons... this will cause a B (Goto Connection Point) to become positioned between the two icons [A]:A ... and :B.. and the flowchart will now show A jumping off to [A]:A... then B jumping off to :B

Go back to 1) .... and fill the program all the way to [Z]:Z ...

7) Now.... just carry on filling in icons...WOW ... all of a sudden you see the following....

8) [AA]:AA ... (Connection Point)... to be jumped from AA (Goto Connection Point) ... and going further you .... get...
9) [AB]:AB ... (Connection Point)... to be jumped from AB (Goto Connection Point).... and then it appears that all is great..!!

10) However ... DO NOT TRY TO EDIT the 'naming' of the icons... like [AA]:AA ... or AA ... or [AB]:AB ... Oh then you spoiled a friendship...!!!!

11) The (Goto Connection Point) icon....!!! will not be edited...!! you cannot change the 'naming' of the (Goto Connection Point)....!!
THIS SEEMS TO BE THE BUG...!!!

12) So I found that nothing you can try will assist you to EDIT / CHANGE the 'naming' of the JUMP icons... what I did was to simply delete the two problem icons... and recreate them... in place... (YOU CANNOT HAVE ANY JUMP ICONS AFTER THE ONES YOU ARE TRYING TO EDIT... YOU HAVE TO DELETE ALL SUBSEQUENT JUMP ICONS... AND PUT THEM BACK IN PLACE AS YOU GO ON IN YOUR PROGRAM... (Ben .. this may help you guys in debugging the fault..??)

Thanks ALL... and Benj.. I think I also found something wrong with the 24C32 component... ??? it ceases to function correctly after some loops....

I created a PCB with the components on board to allow me to attempt to program texts into a 24C32 chippy... just random texts... (however this will be used in a real live project later - considering a $23 trillion project for renewable energy)...

So the problem is - is that I trying to write strings of text of 31 characters MAX.. most are shorter.. into a 24C32 chippy... but after... say some high address ... like index position... of say 576 ... followed by the string of text... the values seem to be failing to write into the chippy...

I have attached the program... it's really simple... you can see from the program that it's not too complicated.. you may have to change the output away from the UART to something else... BUT that might detract from the actual problem.. cause who knows.. maybe the UART routine... is fighting with the EEPROM routines...

Okay .. thanks folks....
regards...
Attachments
EEPROM 24C32 writer program-PIC16F1936-for 8 port alarm-FC-8.2.fcfx
(117.65 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

DCW

Post by DCW »

Hello guys... okay so at 3 am... I even tried the 24C16 component... hmmm... even worse...!!.. so 24C16 component is also "broken"...

Also when you "download" the 24C16 icon to say the 2D dashboard panel.. it reports itself as a 32K EEPROM... surely this should rather be... 16K EEPROM..???? (another bug).

I looked at the two datasheets.. of the 24C16, and the 24C32 ... basically if you use the basic chips... (not the W type chips)... their pins.. are really the same... so basically the 24C32 chip I have... should work the same... just half the chip be used... and my lil program, only uses part of the chip...
In the way I am using it... I should be able to have 128 .... 32 byte segments.... inside the 4096 bytes... of the 24C32 EEPROM...
I also am using the software option for the EEPROM access... ??? I cannot change to the hardware option... the circuits are already cast.. (the software option should work... well part of it is working...)... so the bug must be a minor problem..

So I have tried everything I can.. and so must declare that both 24C16 and 24C32 components are "broken"...
I cannot change the project options in any way... like the "clock speed"... since then my software UART's will stop working... so the PIC clock frequency has to be 16000000 Hz...

It seems that from my program... some of the 24C32 is working... whilst nothing in the 24C16 works...

Over to the powers at be... please...???
Thanks folks..
regards

mnf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mnf »

Hi,

Try the component I posted here viewtopic.php?f=76&t=21732 you need to set all the properties - for example your chip allows writes of 8 bytes and needs 10ms delay.
The advantage of this is it gives you reads and writes of multiple bytes..

Martin

DCW

Re: Connection Points Bug - and EEPROM writing..

Post by DCW »

Hello folks... OKAY - SO I AM the STUPID..!!!!

Whilst I wrote the little EEPROM writing program... I got up to a point in the program... when after... I forgot to edit in the loop reset instruction...
So after about index pointer... I forgot to ADD a calculation box.. and add in... variable reset instructions...

FLOWCODE is a brilliant program... for IDIOTS LIKE ME.... but we are ALL not CLEVER...

So examining the program... carefully, and copying out certain sets and checking, I found that I had forgotten to add this step..

SO now... I am just letting the whole crew know... that it seems to be working well now...!!

AND MANY THANKS TO BEN / DANIEL / STEVE... if the CONNECTION POINT ICON ... bug within FLOWCODE could be repaired... I would really appreciate it...
Kindest Regards
DCW...

Oh yes... what did the THESAURUS eat for breakfast...????

It ate a SYNONYM ROLL ...

ha ha ha...

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Thanks Spencer,

Glad you're up and running again and thanks for letting us know. It certainly can be very frustrating when things suddenly stop working and you're not sure why.