UART between 2 PIC16LF88's

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Re: UART between 2 PIC16LF88's

Post by DavidA »

christoph wrote:
Thanks for that - couldn't follow up yesterday cos major boiler problem but I am about to check it out now but I can't find a v4/FCD folder. Where do I find it?

Chris
Hi Chris,

The default location for the Flowcode install is: C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD

If you are using a 64bit machine it may be C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\FCD

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi Dave,

I copied the download to the v4FCD folder but access STILL denied whatever way I try to open it and then I find that access is denied for EVERYTHING in the FCD folder!!!

Can you tell me what to do please?

I really need to get this up and running asap,

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Chris

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Chris,
The .fcd file that is posted, is just all the data information Flowcode requires to be able to compile to hex or to chip.
You don't need to open 16LF88.fcd as Flowcode just reads it.

Its as benj said.
When a file is placed that has a .fcd extension in /FCD folder then the name of that file will be available in project options and target for selection.
E.g using a made up chip. if you place a file called 16LF12345.fcd in the Flowcode V4\FCD directiory then in project options you will have 16LF12345 available for selection

As for access denied. I'm not an expert like David, but it could be due to administrative settings since Program Files is in a protected area.
In saying that you managed to copy the file there. And

The most common cause for access denied is the file is already being used by a different program.
Or the reader you have asigned to .fcd extensions is not allowed to open?
You could try to right click on file and select open with...
and change with file editor you use.
I Will leave this bit to some ones else to explain as im not an expert on why this is happening.

So all you need to do is run Flowcode and select the 16LF88 in project options.

Martin
Martin

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Chris,

Early on in the thread you mention the 16LF88 being 2.5 to 3.3V only, that is not the case, they are rated 2.0 to 5.5V. For testing you can replace one of them with a 16F88 and feed the circuit 5V just like when you are using both 16F88 chips. Could you try that?

Best regards,

Jac
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

OK Benj,

I follow what is going on now - sure enough I have found it added to the device list when I go for a new flowchart. I will post how I get on.

For general information, I find I can use the F88 at least down to 2.43 volts because I have them running OK in hard-wired configuration but I am interested in the 1.8v of the LF88's to give me better battery life.

To Martin and others who have also been helping with the (L)F88 situation, I will give the LF88's a whirl with same flowchart ingredients using the download from Matrix M. and see what happens, before launching into timing issues etc.

Best regards,

Chris

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

christoph wrote:... but I am interested in the 1.8v of the LF88's to give me better battery life.
Chris,

Please note the data sheet lists 2.0V to be the minimum supply voltage for the 16LF88 devices. For 1.8 volt you will have to choose a different device. (You can use the product selector to find them)

Regards,

Jac
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately, although I can now pick the LF88 for a new flowchart, NOTHING else recognises it. Even on the new flowchart; the LF88 is shown but if I go to 'CHIP' it is not listed and just says chip has been changed to F88 (although it still shows 'LF88'. It doesn't appear in advanced config.. It doesn't recognise it when I try 'autodetect' and it isn't anywhere in pppv3. So when I try to programme it hangs upso I have still not been able to try it.

How can I get round this problem??

Regards,

Chris

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Chris,

I would make you a new definition file for PPP but looking at the microchip datasheets there is no device id value given for the 16LF88 device. Is there an ID coming up I can use when you try an autodetect in PPP? Should look something like this,

0x2006 - This is the 16F88 device ID.

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi Ben,

Autodetect in PPPv3 gives the same ident as F88 as it says chip changed to F88 when I use an FL88! Is there a way round it?

Best regards,

Chris

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Does PPP program the LF device ok when it thinks it is a 16F88?

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi Steve - yes it does. (I would have answered earlier - cos I am anxious to get this going - but had problem with router). OK now and do hope a solution can be found.

Best regards,

Chris

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi Steve,

Any possibility of getting the LF88 onto PPPv3 yet?

I need to make decisions on this project today as it is heading for a commercial application and I need to finalise all the detail for prototyping.

Many thanks,

Chris

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

If they share the same ID, then there is no way for PPP to differentiate between them. But as far as I can see, there is no problem. The device can be reprogrammed ok. Or am I missing something?