Need Help with NEW Dev board Please

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

acestu

Need Help with NEW Dev board Please

Post by acestu »

Hi,

I have just purchased a Matrix Dev board HP48800, I have had no success programming a couple of Pic18f4580 chips which are for a project on this forum, I now find that after trying to program the chips on the dev board, I reverted to my Pickit 3 programmer and MPLAB, however the chips are no longer recognised by MPLAB , I am posting a pic of the console output..

When I put the original 16f88 chip back into the dev board the LEDS flash as they should and I can program the chip fine again and again.............

I think I am going to have to ring the guys at Matrix if nobody has any ideas

Thanks
Acestu
picproblem.jpg
picproblem.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 15713 times
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Need Help with NEW Dev board Please

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Stuart

I programmed a 18f4580 last night on the dev board without any problem.
Have you got anything plugged into ports C or D as this could cause it to fail.

As long as you have the jumpers set correctly, which you must have if its programming the 16F88 ok, it should work with any device.

What program are you using with the PICKIT3?

Ive had problems when using the stand alone GUI from Microchip, but MPLAB X works fine
(Actually using the MPLAB IPE program that installs along with the main MPLAB X)
Ive not ever tried setting flowcode up to work with the PICKIT
But as for the PICKIT3 not recognising the chips afterwards that is strange.Have you tried erasing before sending the program rather that letting it auto erase before programming?

Edit
Just tried to make mine fail
I found it wont program if the RC/XTAL osc switch is in RC. (ie to the left)(top switch)
The speed switch has no effect

This is using Enamuls PIC18F4580_NO SET program
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi John,

I have not plugged anything into the board yet just used it as a programmer or tried to, I use MPLAB with the Pickit3 and have never had any problems with it, I have checked all the jumpers on the board they were the same as your post John, I have never changed any jumpers, I left them, as per pdf manual, I have tried to erase the 18f4580 chips before programming with MPLAB and that is when I get the verification fail, I really think there is a problem with this board now....

thanks
Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

What error messages are you getting from the HP488/flowcode when trying to program your 18F4580 device

acestu

Post by acestu »

I have just read your edit John, if it won't program you would get a message saying so wouldn't you, and it shouldn't render the chip useless, did you say that you used mplabx ?

thanks
Acestu

Edit Flowcode comes up at the end with "Failed To Program"

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Stuart

Unless the programmer has a MAJOR fault I would not expect it to destroy the PIC if it fails to program it.

Just as a thought.
You say the 16F88 is working ok, but you are not able to program the 18F4580.
Have you tried a simpler 40pin device such as a 18F877A with a led flasher or simple hello world to the LCD.

I suppose it is possible the PIC has failed, though I dont think Ive ever had one fail on me.

I use MPLAB X with the PICKIT 3.
Only to program the device with a hex file from flowcode. As I said earlier, I found the PICKIT3 stand alone GUI didnt always work properly, which is anoying as the PICKIT2 version is a nice little program thats works well. MPLAB X is an overkill just to program with.
Will have to try and find time to try setting up flowcode with the PICKIT as well. :)

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Its getting late and my brain is going to sleep mode, but Ive got a nagging suspicion it could have something to do with the Low Voltage Programing Mode (Then again I could be barking up the wrong tree altogether :lol: )

Have a look at pages 8 & 9 in the HP488 data sheet.

I'll check the posts again in the morning when I get to work see if you've made any progress.

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi John,

You have successfully programmed a pic18f4580 with Enamuls code and the jumpers on my board are the same as yours so they are both programming in the same mode so I don't think that can be it...

thanks
Acestu

EDIT I found this John, What do you think ? http://www.microchip.com/forums/m640643.aspx

Also:
> What is low voltage programming??
low voltage programming is a method of programming pics without the need for
a 12V supply by dedicating a line to enabling programming.

low voltage programming cannot be used to disable low voltage programming.

> there is a configuration bit in the pic that enables low voltage
> program..
indeed

> if enable will this make some pins unusable for input output..
just the one pin (PGM) which must be pulled low in normal operation to stop
the pic inadvertantly entering program mode.

note: if you program in circuit you should ALWAYS pull this pin low as
sometimes there are problems entering high voltage program mode with low
voltage program enabled and PGM high or floating.

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi

Is it me or is the Pic18f4580 not in the supported device list of the dev board ?

thanks
Acestu

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi
Either my memory is playing tricks but im sure I tested that device on my board the other evening :?

acestu

Post by acestu »

I know you did John, what I am saying is, if the device is not supported, when I get in touch with Matrix and say it won't program the the Pic18f4580, they might turn round and say well that's because it is not supported....

Thanks
Acestu

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Stuart

Ive just tried Enamuls program again, and it will definetly program into a 18F4580 device using the HP488 dev board.

If the device is supported by flowcode / PPP then It should be able to be programmed by the dev board or any version of the EB006 etc.

If you read the document carefully it says PPP currently supports the following devices, its not refering to the dev board itself.

The devboard datasheet was last updated in 2005, PPP has been updated since.

If you look at the data sheet for the EB006 V7, which is more recent, the reference to supported devices is much larger, because it refers to a later version of PPP.

Its getting difficult to suggest anything to try. Just as a thought, is your power supply working correctly?

acestu

Post by acestu »

Thanks John,

I have ordered some more 4580's and they should be here tomorrow, I think it is time to send the board back to Matrix for testing, I will ring them tomorrow.

Thanks for your help John

Acestu

Edit: Yes John, I checked the power supply

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Acestu,

From what I can tell you have some 18F devices that do not program correctly in the dev board but they also do not program when used with a PICkit.

You have a 16F88 which came with the dev board and this works correctly.

Could it just be that the 18F devices are damaged and this is why they are not working?

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Ben

The devices were brand new from Farnell, but I have 2 more coming from RS components to try, as for them not being compatible I have being having this discussion on the forum for a while now and other people have programmed the Pic18f4580 perfectly using this particular Dev board.

I will let you know the outcome

Thanks
Acestu

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Thanks let me know how you get on.

The fact that a 16F device is able to be reprogrammed tells me the board should be fine as it uses the same programming pins for all devices. What could be at fault is maybe your version of the PPP programming software. Can you tell me which version you are using? Is it part of a version of Flowcode? If so then which version.

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Ben,

I downloaded the latest ppp software and installed it to my tools folder, the version is: 3.9.12.26

EDIT: My new pics have not arrived yet, I have just remembered RS use Parcelforce and they are rubbish round here.....

thanks
Acestu

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Stuart

Just checked on my system

Help / About shows I'm running PPP 3.14.18.33
That was installed as part of flowcode 5.4, i did not install it as a seperate program.
Just checked and can confirm the version on MM website is what you donwloaded 3.9.12.26

As Ben says if it will program other devices its unlikely to be the programmer.
Think you'll have to wait till the new PICs arrive and see what happens.
I tend to use Farnell as they normally use 1st class post which goes through the letter box. (Unless it comes from Belgium then the use a courier, which has to be signed for) But thats another story :wink:

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi John,

Does that mean that the version that I have downloaded is older than the one shipped with my Flowcode 5 ?

If that is the case then maybe I should reinstall Flowcode and all of the updated files that I have added.

Also I bought the chips from RS this time because Ben suggested that the ones that I had may be faulty, I have rang Parcelforce and they said they have tried to deliver them but nobody was in ( there was no card through my door) so they will redeliver tomorow and leave them with a neighbour.

Thanks
Acestu

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi

I have just uninstalled Flowcode and reinstalled it, I remember now why I downloaded the latest copy of ppp, It is because when I try to run ppp from the tools directory I get an error message, I am enclosing a pic of this, I am also enclosing a pic of my ppp version.
Config Error.jpg
Config Error.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 15594 times
ppp_vers.jpg
ppp_vers.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 15594 times

Thank you
Acestu

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hi Stuart,

I wasn't posting anything as I don't have the dev board to look at the issue with you. But about PPPv3..I have the latest one..please download the attachment and you can use that. This will not show that registry error..
Attachments
PPP v3.14.zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 229 times
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Enamul

There is no instalation file with your archive file so I take it I can just replace ppp folders in the tools directory.

I have done this but I still get the config error message.

Surely it should not do this with a fresh install from my flowcode disk anyway.

thanks
Acestu

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hi Stuart,
If you unzip the folder and run the pppv3.exe file from the folder you should not get any error msg. I have tried couple of times and it works fine. Don't need to copy to the tools folder straight away. Try to run PPPv3 from where you downloaded it. If it runs without error msg, you can simply try to write the hex file. You can at least check it's complier/programmer setting issue or hardware issue.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Enamul,

I have checked my registry for previous entries of ppp and I can't find anything.

If I run your file from the download folder I still get the CONFIG Error, I don't know why, maybe Ben might know

Thanks
Acestu

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

That's really strange! Ben might have some answer.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com