Flowcode on an Apple computer.

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

Creative25

Flowcode on an Apple computer.

Post by Creative25 »

Hi I have one question on my mind.
I am considering to buy an apple computer.
What is the best way to run Flowcode on an apple computer?
Is there a version for apple computer?
Or do I need to install windows. On a separate partition.
Or should I use virtual box.
Is there anyone who went this road before and could share what he finds best?

Best Regards:
Uli

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Re: Flowcode on an Apple computer.

Post by DavidA »

Hi,

there is no version that will run on mac OS natively, you will either need to dual boot with bootcamp or similar, or run some sort of virtualization.

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

Flowcode runs on any Apple device through Bootcamp or (better) Parallels. By using Parallels in Coherance mode you won't know the difference from it being on a Mac - all the windows etc are Mac based.

As Ben Rowland or others in the Matrix Multimedia team will acknowledge I have run it on an Apple Mac Quadra 840AV even which was a 86000 based machine.

In fact I have never run Flowcode or the eBlocks or any other Matrix product on anything but Apple computers! I did try and run it on our Windows XP Dell at work and it started asking for drivers and things which (as an Apple user) frightened me so I just installed it on a Macbook and used it immediately ;-}

As a sidenote MPLAB X does work on Macs natively but to be honest I still use the PC version....

Creative25

Post by Creative25 »

Hi
Thanks for all the good Info.
That sounds encouraging.
Do you have any experience with Pic Kit2 on a Mac?

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

Once you have Parallels installed anything that is USB based will work perfectly and a lot of other stuff such as Parallel printer connected stuff, such as the Matrix Multimedia Dev boards that used that connection are fine with a USB to parallel port adaptor costing about a fiver from eBay.

I use a Microchip ICD 3 but the ICD 2 works OK as well - (I've tried it) so I see know reason why the Pickit would be any different but in the event it was just set up Bootcamp (free from Apple dot com) and when you restart your Mac if you hold down the Alt key it gives the option of booting natively into Mac or Windows (any version but avoid Windows 8 it's terrible) and from then on in you just have a 100% PC.

Just be aware that everything that PC users have come to know and love such as Blue Screen Death, spam, virus's, trojans, browser attacks etc etc will then be a threat to the PC partition on the drive....

Creative25

Post by Creative25 »

Hi I got a Mac Book Pro.
Installed Parallels. Flowcode and Pic Kit2 just had to enable the network of windows, for the purpose of activating Flowcode.
After that I disabled the network for windows so chances of getting viruses etc are small.
Thanks for all the good info.

Best Regards:
Uli