programming

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

phil..c

programming

Post by phil..c »

can a microchip pic start plus programmer be used with flowcode. its not usb it has a usb to serial adapter. i have tried and can not get it to work. thanks

JonnyW

Re: programming

Post by JonnyW »

Evening. Can you get your programmer to work stand-alone OK from the command line with a HEX file as input to the programmer?

If so, if you post the command line perhaps we can help (also, what have you tried so far?).

There is no reason Flowcode can not use this based on it not being USB - all Flowcode does is launch the program with command line parameters.

Cheers,

Jonny

phil..c

Post by phil..c »

Thanks for the reply. I have tried as a stand alone with the hex file but it comes up with all sorts of errors. I will try again, maybe i,m not doing things correctly. I take it i will have to use mplab and then load the saved hex file from flowcode. I have used mplab before for writing simple programs and have sent to the chip with no problems. I have ordered a USB programmer from your web site as it seems its going to be easier, but it would be nice to get the pic start programmer to work.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

It seems the PICstart programmer is a bit of a legacy device now and isn't supported that well.

There is a command line tool available from here.
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m482481.aspx

Apparently the chip support isn't great though.

Programming via MPLAB should be a viable option for you.

phil..c

Post by phil..c »

Thanks for the info. I think i'll just wait till the usb programmer from Matrix arrives and program directly from flowcode.

arizawilmer

Post by arizawilmer »

I test the pic start plus programming directly since flowcode v4 and it works.sometimes you have to said to flowcode where is the software of microchip.

phil..c

Post by phil..c »

i have just received my e blocks usb programmer. But im now at a loss. the flowcode compiles ok but when i send it to the chip it fails on <config1> i have configured the chip in the options menu, i now have no idea. Any help much appreciated. pic is 16f716 config is LP and everything else is off.

phil..c

Post by phil..c »

phil..c wrote:i have just received my e blocks usb programmer. But im now at a loss. the flowcode compiles ok but when i send it to the chip it fails on <config1> i have configured the chip in the options menu, i now have no idea. Any help much appreciated. pic is 16f716 config is LP and everything else is off.
I have managed to get my pic start programmer to work, i used flowcode to do the program turned off the config part of the build as this seems to be what is causing the issues then built it to a hex file. Loaded it onto MPlab then sent to the chip. Program is now sucessful. as for the e block programmer, i;ll just have to see how to get that to work. it would be nice to use everything from flowcode. Someone out there might have the answer. i think the problem is in the configuration but i'm far from experienced enough (yet) to solve it.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Phil,

Which chip are you trying to program with the E-blocks programmer?