Pickit 3 ICSP

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

acestu

Pickit 3 ICSP

Post by acestu »

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody uses a Pickit 3 in circuit (ICSP) rather than stand alone, I am trying myself but I keep getting errors.

It works fine with the new Gui or MPLAB.

I think it might be how the circuit is altered on the target device ie on the MCLR you need to put a diode inline but I am not sure about caps.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks In Advance
Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Pickit 3 ICSP

Post by kersing »

Have you checked the precautions listed in PICkit3 quicksheet. It states where not to put capacitors.

Also, in MPLAB there are settings to use targer power or provide power (and what voltage) to the target. Have you set the command line switches accordingly?
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Kersing,

Yes I have diagram with Target precautions the only parts I have connected on MCLR are a 10k resister and a schotky diode, the power is used from the
targets power supply so does not need the pickit3's power switching on, Clock and Data pins have nothing connected to them.

One thing that I have noticed is that when the MCLR wire is connected the LCD turns to blocks and returns to normal when I remove the wire, I am just wondering if the breadboard power supply is insufficient to run both the target and pickit3 ?

thanks
Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

PICkit3 is powered by USB, not the target power, except for the Input/Output drivers. What diode are you using and how is it connected? Does the same hardware (PICkit3 and target board) work correctly with MPLAB?

― C.S. Lewis

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Kersing,

I have researched quite a bit on google and from what I gather from schematics etc a bat48 diode can be used, and the power on th pickit3 is only switchd on if you are programming a device that has no target power available....

I found this which has quite a bit of info: http://www.pantechsolutions.net/project ... r-pic-kit3

thanks
Acestu

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

I am using PICkit2 for in circuit programming a lot (from MPLAB) so I know how the power on these programmers works.

I am unclear on the way you use the diode in your hardware. Do you have a circuit diagram?

Reading your first message I get the impression PICkit3 can program your circuit using MPLAB. Is that right? If so, what are the PICkit3 settings in MPLAB?

― C.S. Lewis

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Kersing,

Yes the pickit 3 will work fine when I use it with MPLAB or the pickit3 gui,

I found this pic:
isolation.jpg
isolation.jpg (21.11 KiB) Viewed 6997 times
thanks
Acestu

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

The first thing I notice is the capacitor on MCLR. One of the precautions:
"Do not use capacitors on MCLR: they will prevent fast transitions of VPP."

However is the combination is working with MPLAB it should be able to work with Flowcode. Could you post the messages?

― C.S. Lewis

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Kersing,

Yes this is what I man there are different components on different schematics...I have no caps on my circuit just a resistor and diode anyway

cheers
Acestu

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi,

If anybody is interested I have found this Webpage that has all the info you need for ICSP... :D

http://www.lirtex.com/embedded/microcon ... ogramming/

Thanks
Acestu

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Very useful link stuart :)
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com