component Values ?

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

acestu

component Values ?

Post by acestu »

Hi,
I am building a timer which I have discussed on the forum, however I want to incorporate an ICSP socket in the circuit, I have
found a diagram from microchip but the values of the resistors, capacitor and diode type are missing, could anybody help me out please I am attaching the pic...

thanks in advance
Acestu
ICSP_Connection_Diagram.png
(15.05 KiB) Downloaded 4447 times
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: component Values ?

Post by medelec35 »

If I was you I would use 10K resistors for all ie VPP, VDD and isolation resistors.

Capacitor could be 100nF multilayer ceramic type for example.

You can only use pots or switches that are n/c on RB6 or RB7 only if via 10K resistors (Labeled as isolation circuits). The middle wiper or switch must be connected to the 'Application Circuit' side, and not directly on RB6 or Rb7
Martin

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Stuart

There is a similar circuit on page 27 of chapter3 in the pickit2 user guide.
You can get that from the microchip website.
Sorry dont have a exact lnk ut the manual reference is DS51553E
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Martin,
I am not using isolators because the pgd and pgc pins are not used on this circuit, just need to know what sort of diode to use, also just hit another problem as the
VDD pin (2) of the ICSP connector goes straight to the VDD of the pic, but there are 2 VDD connections on the 16f877a, do i connect to both of them and then connect a resister to them and board power?. I am using ISIS to make the diagram but power and ground connections are hidden, is there a way of making them visible?...

thanks
Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi John,

I will have a search for that .....

Thanks
Acestu

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi,

I have searched google and I cannot find anything about using icsp with isis, the problem is that device power pins are hidden and they go straight to the power rails however what if you wanted to put a resister in line ? which is what I need to do for the ICSP Header.

thanks
Acestu

dazz

Post by dazz »

HI
Did a quick search on google, lots of stuff about hidden pins, one page suggests going into the library for the component and unhiding pins, i don't use isis but heres one link http://search.edaboard.com/proteus-hidden.html

Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

acestu

Post by acestu »

Thanks Dazz,

I have seen those links but they don't really explain anything, in your link for example the reply is " I don't think it is possible" thanks for having a go though, I have posted on the Edaboard forum myself to see if anybody can help....

cheers
Acestu

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

You can reference the power pins by dragging on power and ground terminals from the terminals toolbar. Power rails with empty string identifiers default to the common rails VDD and VSS which are also used for the micro.

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Benj,

Yes this is a little confusing but I will try and explain, I can add a power icon and change its name string in properties to the same name as the hidden power pins of the device ie VCC

now this allows me to further connect anything I like to the VCC, however I want to place a resistor in between the VCC pins and the power rail so I need to be able to connect both of the devices VCC pins to the resistor and the other side of the resistor to the power rail, does this m

thanks
Acestu :?

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Fellas,

I think I have sussed it out, I changed the string of the power icon coming into the board to +5 and left the hidden pins on the device to VCC, then put a +5 power icon on one end of the resisteor and a VCC power icon on the other end of the resistor and that has separated them.

What do you think ?

cheers :D
Acestu

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi,

I was just wondering if somebody could tell me please what default size track should I use if I am making a double sided board in Isis, the default is set to 10th
but it seems a little thin...

thanks
Acestu

dazz

Post by dazz »

HI
A few links below
Theres an online calc here http://circuitcalculator.com/wordpress/?p=25/
heres a link to a page detailing spacings and widths http://www.frontdoor.biz/HowToPCB/HowTo ... Space.html
A pdf on overall design http://alternatezone.com/electronics/fi ... alRevA.pdf

Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Dazz,

Thanks for the links good finds, and thanks for taking the time, ISIS is a bit confusing because they dont use mm for the track widths they use 10th or 20th etc,

cheers
Acestu

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

to convert th (Thou) to mm:
E.g 10th = 10*0.0254
=0.254mm

If you have mm then divide by 0.0254
e.g 0.254/0.0254 = 10thou
Last edited by medelec35 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed mm where is should have said thou
Martin

dazz

Post by dazz »

medelec35 wrote:to convert th (Thou) to mm:
E.g 10th = 10*0.0254
=0.254mm

If you have mm then divide by 0.0254
e.g 0.254/0.0254 = 10mm
Hi Martin and Acestu
I think 10Thou is .254mm ( you added an extra zero)

as 10mm = approx 393Thou

an easy way to remember is 100 Thou = 2.54mm

so mm to Thou eg 5mm *100 /2.54thou =196.850 Thou
or
Thou to mm eg 50 THou*2.54 /100= 1.25mm

Formula Below
Thou= mm x 100(constant)
2.54(constant)

mm = Thou x 2.54(constant)
100(constant)

For pcb's the Thou and Mil are interchangeable, also be aware how you reference imperial units as 10th as 10 Thou are two totally different units 10th refers to one tenth of an inch which equals 100Thou or 2.54mm(notice anything here. yup its our constant converstion factor) and 10 Thou= .254mm whereas 1 Thou is .0254mm. At first glance imperial seems confusing, but to be honest i find it easier to use than the metric system.

so in summary a mil is a Thou(ish) and remember the constants 100 and 2.54 , when using for tracks always round up for a small safety factor, so if your required size came out at say 10.139485 Thou(mil) select 11 Mil or above for track
If you need more help just holler but bear in mind its been 30-40 years since i learned this stuff and about 5 years since i last used it

Regards
Dazz

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Dazz
dazz wrote:I think 10Thou is .254mm ( you added an extra zero)
medelec35 wrote:to convert th (Thou) to mm:
E.g 10th = 10*0.0254
=0.254mm
They are both the same.
0.254mm = .254mm

I used the 0.0254 for converting mm back to Thou
ie 0.0254mm = 10thou
Although I did make an error in putting = 10mm instead of 10thou

Martin
Martin

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi Martin
:lol: yup its that extra zero or mm , personally i really struggle with metric and find imperial much more flexible, although logically metric is easier ( tubing and lathes are still imperial in the main,seems ironic when building custom motorcycles that anything built after the 70's was built to the metric standard, but all converted from imperial) :lol:
damn im getting old ;)
Regards
Dazz

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Martin, Dazz,

thanks for the info, I was rather hoping that somebody would say that ISIS and ARES can work out all the track sizes for you, I have never really used it for producing gerber files before and video tutorials seem to be scarce, anyway it was £30 for ten pcbs so I have sent off my gerber files and hopefully it will be useable...

cheers
Acestu

BChappy

Post by BChappy »

Hi Acestu,

I haven't used Proteus for a while but I am sure you can define track sizes in the "Netlist" and "Routing Strategies" properties.
i.e. If you have a standard size for signal, power, layers, you can pre-define track width/ vias etc., and transfer this data to Ares.
I personally use Abacom Sprint Layout 6 for simple layouts (cheap, quick and easy interface but also does Gerber outputs) and Easy PC for more complex designs.
I hope this helps!

Regards

Brian
Is your Project Not Working? - Help and General Advice Click here!
Flowcode v8 forum topic - Click here!