What Tool is needed for Ghost Function

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What Tool is needed for Ghost Function

Post by QMESAR »

Hi All

I would like to ask what is needed to do the following ,I did try to find the information on the Matrix web however sorry I just got confused by all the different tools and boards :oops:

(1) I would like to program and debug my applications using PIC18/dsPIC33 mcu similar to what the Microchip ICD 3 / real ICE provides me at the moment what equivalent from Matrix is available ?
(2) I would like to use the feature describe on the web that with Gost (?) it is possible to get the real time data from the target processor linked to the scope in FC6 (possibly my understanding is wrong) would appreciate
when some one explain me this

I guess it clear from my question that I would like to do some sort of Simulation / Code generation and hardware in the loop setup,I am working now 1 week with FC and fined it really short cutting my development time
and would like to use the most out of FC it could provide

(3) my lab equipment all have USB and Rs232 interfaces would this be possible to create a block component that I can control them from FC6 if so is there a document that explains the procedure this would be nice if possible but not essential
for me it most important to write code simulate it then program the target and get the data back into the IDE see it in a scope type screen to validate the real time situation

I have no problem to replace my ICD / Programmer to the MATRIX tool I just need to understand what i need to achieve my goals i would really like to expand on FC ,I just would not like to replace my power supplies ,Oscilloscopes ,logic analyzers etc.

Regards

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: What Tool is needed for Gost Function

Post by medelec35 »

Hi QMESAR,
To make the most out of debugging and Ghost, you will need EB006V9
Then you will be able to use ICD and view variables and set break points with hardware and run in real time until break point is reached.
Also EB006V9 will allow to use the built in scope which will display in real time signal levels (analogue and digital) and even decode I2C, RS232 etc in real time.
I have never used real ICE so cant say for sure its it's similar or not.

Hope this is of some help

Martin
Martin

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi Martin

Thank you very much for the link to the EB006V9 it looks very interesting and actually what I had in mind however is this a new development as the devices supported at the moment are limited and seems to be a bit for the older PIC18 series
I could not see any PIC18xxKxx devices and how do you guys program and debug the PIC24/dsPIC33 devices in Flow code ,I just use my ICD to program the hex file generated from FC6 for now but as mentioned I would like to debug and run HIL :D I am a tool fanatic so I will buy one of these EB006V9 to play with and hope that future version will support more devices and the latest .

Appreciate your input

Regards
Peter

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi Martin

This looks (HP299 Flowkit)a bit more like and equivalent to the Microchip ICD ,just not clear if it supports all the devices supported by FC6 ?
I like that I can connect it directly to my Target Application hardware through the ICSP pins .
Just wondering if the scope pin connector allows me to route signals into FC6 scope and indicators such as the dials and meters

http://www.matrixtsl.com/product.php?Pr ... PHPSESSID=

:D always hard to start with new tools to understand all the possibilities

Regards
Peter

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Peter,
QMESAR wrote:This looks (HP299 Flowkit)a bit more like and equivalent to the Microchip ICD
The HP299 will work with Flowcodes own ICD just like EB006V9 except it won't have the ghost compatibility therefore will not work with the scope.
That's why I did not mention it at the time as I was only posting about ghost hardware.
Don't know if the plan is to develop a new version of Flowkit with built in ghost or not only Matrix staff can answer that one.
I was under the impression that Flowkit will work with any device that Flowcode can compile.
The one not of caution is when ICD is enabled it will take up more memory on the target device, so make sure there is enough room.
Flowkit is not a programmer, so you will need a programmer to send hex to the target device first (except directly programmed via USB e.g MIAC, ECIO etc).

Martin
Martin

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: What Tool is needed for Ghost Function

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Here are the current debug possibilities in Flowcode 6.

ICD In Circuit Debug

EB006 v8 - PIC
EB006 v9 - PIC
EB064 - dsPIC / PIC24
FlowKit - PIC / AVR / dsPIC / ARM

ICT In Circuit Test

EB006 v9 - PIC

Matrix Ghost is a combination of ICD and ICT functionality.

We do have a new Ghost platform for dsPIC coming out in Jan next year which has the same fixed SMD micro as the ECIO40P16 rather than using the somewhat limited DIL based devices as on the EB064 and EB006.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: What Tool is needed for Ghost Function

Post by QMESAR »

Thank you all for the replies and inforamtion

Regards