ECIO40P16 Bootloader Problems

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

ECIO40P16 Bootloader Problems

Post by QMESAR »

Hello Ben

I have been using the ECIO40P16 for at least 3 weeks on a project with no problems I constantly programmed it from FC and the installed Boot loader .yesterday it started with the problem when powered the led will flash as before and windows will ding it dong showing the device is detected ,However the led never stops to flash and I can keep on programming as much as I would like it never comes out of Boot loader mode,obviously the application code then never runs :D

I then just used my PICkit programmed my application code(after changing to the device in FC and setting the Configurationg correct) and the application runs fine (ECIO40P16 hardware has no problem) In effect Overridden the boot loader and all is ok chip and code wise.

I then re-programmed the boot loader Hex file as per your given application note (you gave me one the hex file and how to re programmed chip) same effect chip stays in boot loader mode(also downloaded your test file for ECIO40P16)
any ideas what could cause this .It is not an issue for me as I use the Pickit and EB061 to develop my code further I am actually just curious what would cause this :D

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: ECIO40P16 Bootloader Problems

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know of the problem. I have not experienced this issue and so cannot think why this would be happening. I have one of these ECIO device mounted in my LED cube and this has been working very well for over a year now so it shouldn't be an age or usage problem. I'll make a note so we have a record of the problem so we can jump on it if it appears again.

My guess would be that mLoader is having an error but not reporting it. We have recently done a great deal of work into making this tool more functional and reliable so this will be rolled out with the next Flowcode update release.

To test this the dsPIC ECIO bootloader will work with this tool from Microchip: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... loader.zip

Simply enter the USB VID 0x12BF and PID 0xE1 to connect to the device. If this works ok then it points to an mLoader issue.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi Ben

Thank you for the info,I will reprogram the boot loader and try with the Microchip tool and post the results here :D

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi Ben

I reprogrammed the ECIO40P16 with the boot loader Hex file and then used the PC_loader from MCHP and it working fine
Led flashes after +/-5sec it stopps to flash
I can program with pc loader my application software and it is running fine ,

Thanks for helping out here :D
Attachments
06.01.jpg
06.01.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 9673 times

Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

Hi, I've worked through the same steps above but still have some odd behaviour.
After a reset the ECIO40P16 will sit in bootloader mode for around 1 minute before executing the main program.. :? It is not connected to the USB during this time so I expected it to go the the main program after a few seconds as per the ECIO40P.

I have achieved USB comms using the Microchip Loader and re-flashed the Bootloader.
MLoader also connects fine, I've sent a 'flash led' test hex and you can force the device to leave bootloader mode and run this by selecting 'Execute'

The ECIO40P16 is currently hard soldered in a simple PCB so tricky to test fully isolated but there is very little attached ... is there any of the PCB pins that could hold the device in bootloader mode?

P.s. When it does run the main program the test LED flash seems to be at the correct rate.
any ideas? Thanks, J.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The bootloader detect pin is on pin E2. If this pin is high when the ECIO powers up then it assumes that the USB is connected and goes into the bootloader timeout loop. If the pin is low then the bootloader should be instantly skipped and your program should start. This pin is also connected to the LED on the ECIO device.

Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

Thanks Ben, found the offending chip sharing that Pin.. lifted it off and all looks good now.