Queries about possibly moving from Flowcode v4 to v7

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 7.

Moderator: Benj

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Queries about possibly moving from Flowcode v4 to v7

Post by christoph »

Hi all,
I am contemplating the possibility of a big jump from v4 to v7 in the light of the 50 % off that is currently being offered until 9:30am on Wednesday 19th April 2017. I had already mentioned in the v4 forum to Ben that, much as I would like to, I couldn't afford the suggestion to move to v7 (and there was no allowance for upgrading from v4). This offer though, is a bit too tempting to ignore out of hand but as affordability is my biggest problem, I need to take into consideration any thoughts/help/advice that anyone could kindly comment on, concerning the following points and queries:-

1) I already have the HP488 v3 programming board which has extensive hardware capability but can't programme any of the 8 bit chips that I would LIKE to use (which are the only ones I use at all) and the later Matrix programmers can. On the flip side, I am only doing an occasional small project here and there so have only needed 3 or 4 a year but it seems I would have to purchase the pro version to get the tiny proportion of chip capability that I need. Is there a way round this, to: a) Make use of the HP88 programmer and b) Have the capability of the SPECIFIC but small number of chips I use per annum - otherwise this is a bit of a 'killer' from the outset, through having to buy v7 AND another programmer at least! I am only interested in UART communications and stepper motors over and above the 'run-of-the-mill' components so not wanting to get into anything very sophisticated.

Any suggestions gratefully received but need to be by midnight Tuesday 18th to make a decision before the offer closing deadline mentioned above -unfortunately I was away and had not seen email earlier!

Many thanks,

Chris

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Queries about possibly moving from Flowcode v4 to v7

Post by Benj »

Hi Chris,

As for programming you could try devices on your HP488 board using the mLoader programming software. I'm not sure which devices you're after so cannot say if they will work or not for sure.

For the cheapest possible programmer you could get a PICkit 3 and some veroboard or a breadboard, this would allow you to connect the PICkit 3 to the ICSP pins on the microcontroller and allow you to reprogram any PIC device.

An 8-bit PIC chip pack + Coms pack A + Mechatronics pack is currently coming up as £70 using the license cost calculator.

https://www.matrixtsl.com/flowcode/buy/ ... .php#step1

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

HI Ben,
Thankyou for your reply,
I am a bit confused with the pricing:
2) So if I were to purchase the 3 packs you mention at £70 AND Standard FLowcode V7 at your offer price of £30, I would then have access to the full range of 8bit chips?
3) Where can I find what chips mLoader covers as I am not home to check at present?
4) What price would YOUR latest most basic programmer be ? (I forget the designation but please specify so I can look it up and refer to it) because I would rather stick with your hardware system and have future capability - if I ever wanted it - to plug in your hardware modules if I did 'go down that road'.
5) I am quite interested so far and assume that I could upgrade to FLowcode Pro any time in the future?
6) Do these prices include VAT?
7) Can I purchase direct from you online via my login etc?

Chris

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

So if I were to purchase the 3 packs you mention at £70 AND Standard FLowcode V7 at your offer price of £30, I would then have access to the full range of 8bit chips?
Yes you have access to all 8bit PIC's that is supported in FC V7 and that is a large number.

What price would YOUR latest most basic programmer be ? (I forget the designation but please specify so I can look it up and refer to it) because I would rather stick with your hardware system and have future capability - if I ever wanted it - to plug in your hardware modules if I did 'go down that road'.

You can use the EB006V9 or as many other users use a PICKIT3 that supports each and every 8 bit PIC Microchip is producing and fully supported in Flowcode for around US$49.00
I am quite interested so far and assume that I could upgrade to FLowcode Pro any time in the future?
This is also true
Can I purchase direct from you online via my login etc?
This is true too

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

HI fellas,
THankyou for the feed back, and I am going to give it a bit more thought and action accordingly.
Much appreciated,

Chris

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Chris,

A bit more on top of QMESAR's reply.
2) So if I were to purchase the 3 packs you mention at £70 AND Standard FLowcode V7 at your offer price of £30, I would then have access to the full range of 8bit chips?
The £70 is all you would pay for the chip pack and 2 x component packs, there is no £30 extra for the Flowcode v7 core, this is essentially free.

The chips supported by mLoader are listed on the EB006 datasheet. How many of these would work as is on the HP488 board I cannot say for sure but my guess is that most would work.

EB006 Datasheet: https://www.matrixtsl.com/resources/get ... php?id=743

You can always download mLoader and see if you can program the chips you need.

mLoader: https://www.matrixtsl.com/resources/get ... php?id=884

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Very many thanks QMESAR and Benj,
I am going for the chip pack but 3 component packs now (adding the I/O component pack, so 70 plus 15 plus VAT at Total of 102 pounds) and I will see how I get on with my HP488 programmer via mLoader for now. This is a good deal and big upgrade for me so thanks for the oppurtunity and help towards a good conclusion which I am looking forward to using.
Best regards,

Chris

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi
You are welcome happy to help enjoy V7 :D