EB006 Multi Programmer QUESTION!!

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

tulipman

EB006 Multi Programmer QUESTION!!

Post by tulipman »

Hi there,

This is the story of my experiments with FlowCode v4. A story with quite a few hurdles, that made me feel quite helpless
at certain moments.

With this story I would like to reach out to other Flowcode beginners, so that they will be able to skip the hurdles...

So, I recently bought FlowCode v4 with a kit: The 'Elektor Easy Internet Kit' (EB-486)
(details: http://www.elektor.com/products/e-block ... 1494.lynkx)

Installing Flowcode v4 was easy, but entering the registration was a bit unclear, but in the end I managed.
Also installing the Flowcode v4 update that was availble was not so straightforward, but in the end I also got that working.

However: getting the Multi-Programmer Board to be recognized by Windows 7 was the the next step.
But the driver didn't work!! oops!! No go.
The following info solved the driver problem:
I downloaded the drivers via this (direct) link:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/softwar ... driver.zip
Installing this driver:
Please FIRST unzip the file, and put the file on the desktop.
Install them by right clicking on the 'Computer' icon on your Windows 7 desktop, select 'Properties' (bottom),
and then click 'Device Manager', and find out WHICH divice is the one that pops up when you connect the Multi Programmer Board.
On my system the device showed up under the 'Custom USB Devices' tab, and was called 'Matrix PICmicro Programmer'.

I right-clicked it, and selected 'Update driver software'.
Then MANUALLY browse to the folder containing the unzipped driver files, and select the driver, and click OK.
Accept with YES/OK if a question pops up about unsigned drivers.
Now the system should be able to recognize the EB006 Multi Programmer board. Yihaa!!!
(PS: only a 32 bits driver if available at this moment. I understood that Matrix is working on a 64bit driver.)

Phew!!!
After solving all that, I was finally ready to write some simple programs, and test them within FlowCode v4.
It was really easy to build programs thanks to FlowCode.

After some hours of getting the hang of it, I wanted to see my code running on a real PIC, using the EB-006 Multi-Programmer Board.
I was finally ready to do some real testing, by compiling the program and then sending the *.hex files to the PIC on the Multi Programmer Board.
Oops!! The command 'Compile to PIC' didn't work all the way.

The PPPv3 program could not find the directory with *.hex file that was produced by the compiler.
It compiled OK, but could not send the *.ex file to the PIC chip programmer.
But I found the solution to this bug:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/support ... f=22&t=612
Maybe the Matrix software guys will fix this bug in the next version of Flowcode v4. Would be great!!

Always remember folks: It's NOT over until the fat lady sings!!

Now that I was up and running I noticed some strange effects, and in order to make sure that my EB-006 Multi-Programmer Board
was in good working shape, I just wanted to test it, using the software that Matrix Multimedia is using themselves to test
produced EB-006 boards before they are shipped out to the outside world.

There is a document that describes all the steps for the test procedure(s).
This document:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/datashe ... 6-30-7.pdf
It's the technical datasheet for the EB-006 Multi Programmer.

On page 7 of this document it describes how to setup the EB006,.
You are suppose to upload a PRECOMPILEd hex file called RC_LVP.hex

Four QUESTIONS here:
-1) WHERE can one find this program?
(I checked the Matrix website but I cannot find it.)

-2) HOW does the test pattern on the LED board looks like?
That info is missing from the document. One should know what to expect as an output from the testprogram.

-3) On page 7 of the PDF file (http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/datashe ... 6-30-7.pdf) it says at point 11:
quote:
11) Note that LB3 will not illuminate due to the fact that the program sets the PICmicro into Low Voltage Programming mode
unquote
What is LB3 ??
The is no LB3 on the EB006 Multi Programmer Board, and also no LB3 label on the EB004 LED board.
The leds on the EB004 board are labeled D0-D7.

-4) Why is the source code of the RC_LVP.hex testprogram not available for download, but only the compiled code???
Would be great to learn from it how to be able to test hardware.
Is it a big secret?? Is it an question of 'not wanting to give the show away'??' (just kidding here!!)
Just curious to know.

Anyone??
Help/hints/answers are MUCH appreciated!!!
Cheers

Robbert / PA3BKL
(with many thanks to Mr. David Aldersley of Matrix Multimedia Ltd. Support for helping me out!!)
Last edited by tulipman on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: EB006 Multi Programmer QUESTION!!

Post by medelec35 »

Hello Robbert.
tulipman wrote: (PS: only a 32 bits driver if available at this moment. In understood that Matrix is working on a 64bit driver.)
Programmer works fine with 64 bit windows, as I have programmed with 64bit Vista, and now using 64bit windows 7
tulipman wrote: On page 7 of this document it describes how to setup the EB006,.
You are suppose to upload a PRECOMPILEd hex file called RC_LVP.hex

Four QUESTIONS here:
-1) WHERE can one find this program?
(I checked the Matrix website but I cannot find it.)
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/eblock_ ... .php#EB006
tulipman wrote: -2) HOW does the test pattern on the LED board looks like?
That info is missing from the document. One should know what to expect as an output from the testprogram.
.)
I just had a quick look at the hex file, and it looks like all LEDs connected to port B are in a chase sequence. Depending on the RC setting of variable resistor, leds could either look like they are chasing. Or due to persistence of vision look like all except B3 are permanently lit.
tulipman wrote: -3) On page 7 of the PDF file (http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/datashe ... 6-30-7.pdf) it says at point 11:
quote:
11) Note that LB3 will not illuminate due to the fact that the program sets the PICmicro into Low Voltage Programming mode
unquote
What is LB3 ??
The is no LB3 on the EB006 Multi Programmer Board, and also no LB3 label on the EB004 LED board.
The leds on the EB004 board are labeled D0-D7.
I would assume it is referring to Led connected to B3 hence LB3. on LED board is labeled D3. Since D0 is LED connected to bit 0 of port, D1 is connected to bit1 etc.
tulipman wrote: -4) Why is the source code of the RC_LVP.hex testprogram not available for download, but only the compiled code???
Would be great to learn from it how to be able to test hardware.
Is it a big secret?? Is it an quation of 'not wanting to give the show away'??
Just curious to know.
It is probably just intended as a quick fix to test programmer board is functioning OK.
There are plenty of Flowchart examples about these forums you can download then change the configuration settings and speed to suit your target chip.
Also there is a zip file containing example flowcharts from here:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/faqs_updates.php

If there is something you would like to achieve and require support, answers are very regularly posted from myself and other more experienced users or Matrix staff
Hope this helps you.
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

medelec35 wrote:Hello Robbert.

(PS: only a 32 bits driver if available at this moment. In understood that Matrix is working on a 64bit driver.)
Programmer works fine with 64 bit windows, as I have programmed with 64bit Vista, and now using 64bit windows 7
[/quote]

Hi medelec35.

Is your copy of Flowcode (4??) running in 64bit mode or in 32bit mode?

On my 64bit system Flowcode installed itself in the Program Files (x32) directory.
So I guess it's running in 32bit mode, with a 32bit driver.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

When I installed Flowcode on my 64 bit system, Flowcode was installed to program files (x86)
Then I manually updated the drivers. Not had any issues with driver installation.

one point is with entering keys for Flowcode.
I find the following method best:

You will have two sets of keys: 6 sets of 6 chars which determine type of licence you have.
7 sets of 6 chars which is paired to your registered name. Easiest way is during install select 'Do not enter a key (upgrade or no Key)

After install has completed, run flowcode in Administrator mode (even if you have full administrative rights), then have 'create a new Flowcode flowchart' selected. Choose any target, then select Help then Register.
at this stage do not put anything in Name: box.
Copy and paste CD key (6 lots of 6 chars) in Key: Box. If correct key then you will get a message about restarting flowcode and key has been stored etc.
Restart flowcode, then if key was successful you will get a reminder box stating 'This program is not free' etc. Click on Enter Key.
Paste your user name in Name:
and your 7 lots of 6 chars into Key. All being well you will get a message about key is stored. That should be it.
Exit, then run flowcode as normal.
Since keys are stored, this would apply if installing on a different PC, or windows is re-installed.

Edit: Removed repeated paragraph & changed X64 to x86 which is still 64 bit and not 32 bit
Last edited by medelec35 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

Hi and THANKS for the GREAT info.

Will try to to a re-installation, so that Flowcode runs native in 64bit mode.
A strange effect here is, that starting up Flowcode v4 takes quite a long time:
The 'Splash' shows up after 10 secs, and I get the 'select file menu at 23 seconds (after a new boot of my system).
That's a rediculous amount of time for a program that is not even 4mb in size.
It is faster when it has started before.

Thanks to your previous message, I was able to upload the RC-LVP.HEX file into the PIC and I indeed see the pattern (running light)
on the LED board of port B. Led labeled # D3 is not working, as the docs already told us.

What I really want to see is some text on the EB-005 (LCD board)
I can't get it working it seems.

Do you happen to have a working *.fcf file that can show some texts on the display??
I have NOT patched anything on the LCB board. Should I do that??

Cheers

Robbert / PA3BKL
medelec35 wrote:When I installed Flowcode on my 64 bit system, Flowcode was installed to program files (x64)
Then I manually updated the drivers. Not had any issues with driver installation.

one point is with entering keys for Flowcode.
When I installed Flowcode on my 64 bit system, Flowcode was installed to program files (x64)
Then I manually updated the drivers. Not had any issues with driver installation

I find the following method best:

You will have two sets of keys: 6 sets of 6 chars which determine type of licence you have.
7 sets of 6 chars which is paired to your registered name. Easiest way is during install select 'Do not enter a key (upgrade or no Key)

After install has completed, run flowcode in Administrator mode (even if you have full administrative rights), then have 'create a new Flowcode flowchart' selected. Choose any target, then select Help then Register.
at this stage do not put anything in Name: box.
Copy and paste CD key (6 lots of 6 chars) in Key: Box. If correct key then you will get a message about restarting flowcode and key has been stored etc.
Restart flowcode, then if key was successful you will get a reminder box stating 'This program is not free' etc. Click on Enter Key.
Paste your user name in Name:
and your 7 lots of 6 chars into Key. All being well you will get a message about key is stored. That should be it.
Exit, then run flowcode as normal.
Since keys are stored, this would apply if installing on a different PC, or windows is re-installed.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

tulipman wrote:Hi and THANKS for the GREAT info.

Do you happen to have a working *.fcf file that can show some texts on the display??
Your welcome.
No you will not need to patch EB005 LCD Board, leave in the default position.

For LCD. Go to the same link I posted for your EB006 precompiled test file.
Scroll down to EB005 LCD Board
then download:
Flowcode v4 example
Since the configuration is set to disable low voltage programming, you can connect LCD display to port B and this time all of port B will be available to use.

SW2 must be in the xtal position since your target device will be using 19.6 MHz xtal on programming board.

Compile to chip, and your LCD display should work.
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

Hi there.
Got the *.fcf file, loaded it into FC4 and did a 'compile to PIC'

Oops:

------------------------------------------------------
LCD-fc4.c success

success

Return code = 0

Launching the linker/assembler...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe -ld "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib" libc.pic16.lib "LCD-fc4.obj" -t PIC16F88 -d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\Tools\PPP" -p "LCD-fc4"
BoostLink Optimizing Linker Version 6.95
http://www.sourceboost.com
Copyright(C) 2004-2009 Pavel Baranov
Copyright(C) 2004-2009 David Hobday

Error: Failed to open:libc.pic16.lib or C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib/libc.pic16.lib

failure

Return code = -2

Flowcode was unable to assemble the ASM file due to the following errors:

FINISHED
------------------------------------------------------

I checked but I don't have that lib file at all.

There is NO directory called: : C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib
Do YOU have it?? And IF so, did you install it yourself, or was it installed automatically when you installed FC4 ???

If you installed it separately, from where did you download it??
I checked the site but could not find it...

Any hints??

Thanks in advance!!

Robbert

medelec35 wrote:
tulipman wrote:Hi and THANKS for the GREAT info.

Your welcome.
No you will not need to patch EB005 LCD Board, leave in the default position.

For LCD. Go to the same link I posted for your EB006 precompiled test file.
Scroll down to EB005 LCD Board
then download:
Flowcode v4 example
Since the configuration is set to disable low voltage programming, you can connect LCD display to port B and this time all of port B will be available to use.

SW2 must be in the xtal position since your target device will be using 19.6 MHz xtal on programming board.

Compile to chip, and your LCD display should work.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

tulipman wrote:Hi there.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe -ld "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib"
Error: Failed to open:libc.pic16.lib or C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib/libc.pic16.lib
I would guess that is due to when you reinstalled Flowcode, some of the registry entries did not change from Program Files to Program Files (x86)
You will need to select 'Chi'p menu then 'Compiler options'
and add space(x86) to then end of program Files without Space(x86)
e.g change
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe -ld "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib"
to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe -ld "C:\Program Files (x86)\SourceBoost\lib"

Here are my settings:
Compiler:
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostc.pic16.flowcode.exe
Parameters: -v -t PIC%p "%f.c"

Linker / Assembler:
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe
Parameters: -ld "C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\lib" libc.pic16.lib flowcode.pic16.lib rand.pic16.lib float.pic16.lib "%f.obj" -t PIC%p -d "%d" -p "%f"

Programmer:
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe
Parameters: -cs 2 -chip PIC%p -nogui "%f.hex"

Use external Program to set configuration options is ticked.
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\Tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe
Parameters: -cs 2 -chip PIC%p -config
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

Thanks medelec53 !!

I compared your strings with mine and.... they were EXACTLY the SAME, heh heh.

Look at this:
--------------------------------------------
Compiler:
My version : C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostc.pic16.flowcode.exe
Your version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostc.pic16.flowcode.exe
(= identical, no differences)

Linker / Assembler:
My version C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe
Your version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe
Parameters: -ld "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib" libc.pic18.lib "%f.obj" -t PIC%p -d "%d" -p "%f"

Programmer:
My version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe
Your version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe

Use external program to set configuration options:
My version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\Tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe
Your version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\Tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe
Parameters::
-cs 2 -chip PIC%p -config

File Viewer:
Parameters: -

Some questions for you (again!!, I'm a dork, sorry for that!!):

-1) If I compile something to PIC, this is the string that is sent.

Look at the back part: Is it the same with you???
(you can see this in the window that pops up during compiling.)

I added 'space'(x86) but it still will and cannot work, simply because I don't have a directory called: "SourceBoost\lib"

Where do I get software that creates a directory SourceBoost, with lib files in it ???
That is the reason that my compiler stops with an error.
There is simply NO file called libc.pic16.lib on my system.

--------------------------------------------

Cheers

Robbert
medelec35 wrote:
I would guess that is due to when you reinstalled Flowcode, some of the registry entries did not change from Program Files to Program Files (x86)
e.g change
to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe -ld "C:\Program Files (x86)\SourceBoost\lib"

Here are my settings:
Compiler:
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostc.pic16.flowcode.exe

Linker / Assembler:
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe
Parameters: -ld "C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\lib" libc.pic16.lib flowcode.pic16.lib rand.pic16.lib float.pic16.lib "%f.obj" -t PIC%p -d "%d" -p "%f"

Programmer:
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe

Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\Tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

Hi, it's me again,

Well. I solved the lib stuff, and it compiles OK now:

---------------------------------------------------------

File name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\Tools\PPP\LCD-fc4.c
Generated by: Flowcode v4.3.7.63
Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 00:49:07
Licence: Professional
Registered to: Robbert

Launching the compiler...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostc.pic16.flowcode.exe -v -t PIC16F88 "LCD-fc4.c"

Return code = 0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe -ld "C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\lib" libc.pic16.lib flowcode.pic16.lib rand.pic16.lib float.pic16.lib "LCD-fc4.obj" -t PIC16F88 -d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\Tools\PPP" -p "LCD-fc4"

Return code = 0

Launching the programmer...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe -cs 2 -chip PIC16F88 -nogui "LCD-fc4.hex"
Sending program...
Erasing the PICmicro
NOTE: EEPROM data will also be erased!
Writing program memory

....................................................................................................................................................

Writing configuration memory
Writing id-locations
Reading program memory

Reading configuration memory
Finished reading PICmicro contents
Program sent and verified OK

524 out of 4096 program words used
0 out of 256 data bytes used
That took 48,625 seconds

Return code = 0

FINISHED
---------------------------------------------------------

but..... nothing on the display (connected to port B)
Switch SW2 is set to Xtal position, and display brightness is turned up.
Any hints??

Also important to know:
I'm running this program on a 16F88 pic that now is fitted on the Multi Programmer.
Is that the correct PIC or do I need to run it on a 16F877???

Cheers

Robbert

medelec35 wrote:
e.g change
to

Here are my settings:
Compiler:

Linker / Assembler:

Programmer:

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

Hi,

Simple question:

In which directory do you keep your *.fcf files??

Rgds

Robbert

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

tulipman wrote:but..... nothing on the display (connected to port B)
Any hints?? ]
When you first connect power to LCD even if chup not programmed, an un initilised LCD should show at least one row of black squares.
Do you see that row of squares on the top line of lcd display?
If not then either you have not got +5V going into +V terminal block of LCD Board, or contrast (no brightenss control fitted) is not set correctly. I don't connect the 0V up since that is
achieved via 9W Connector casing.
or your flowchart has been set to clear display, but not reaching a print number or string command.
If you can see the row of squares then your hardware is not controlling the display. E.g timing is wrong due to target clock settings, target not running correctly Eg problem with config settings. plugged into a different port than set up in component properties.
one of the port pins may not be available. e.g is LVP is set then port B3 is available to use ect.

Important:
What you could do to save time is create a simple 1 Hz flasher. Connect the LED Eblock, or measure voltage. If port is toggling at 1Hz, you can assume the configuration is all correct.
tulipman wrote:Also important to know:
I'm running this program on a 16F88 pic that now is fitted on the Multi Programmer.
Is that the correct PIC or do I need to run it on a 16F877???
The idea of Flowcode is to be able to change from one target device to another very simply. So long as the new chip has enough pins, and is able to control what you want it to control then you can use any device that Flowcode supports.
So you can use LCD on 16F88 or 16F877. it does not matter so long as it is configured correctly within Flowcode.
tulipman wrote:In which directory do you keep your *.fcf files??
Any directory, so long as PC will have rights to post in that directory.
So create a new directory e.g My Flowcode projects etc. or use an existing one.
Just avoid directly on root drives. Always use a directory.
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

tulipman wrote:but..... nothing on the display (connected to port B)
Any hints??

When you first connect power to LCD even if chup not programmed, an un initilised LCD should show at least one row of black squares.
Do you see that row of squares on the top line of lcd display?

tulipman wrote: YES!! The top row is all 16 black squares. That's good then!!
If not then either you have not got +5V going into +V terminal block of LCD Board,
tulipman wrote: I took a multimeter and the voltage on terminal block J1 (on the LCD board) is 4.1 VDC, which is enough I guess.
The EB006 Multiprogrammer Board is connected to the external power-adapter that came with the kit.
or contrast (no brightenss control fitted) is not set correctly. I don't connect the 0V up since that is
achieved via 9W Connector casing.
tulipman wrote: I turned up the RV1 brightness control potmeter on the LCD board, so that I see the top line with all black characters.
I see them also flashing in 500ms tempo, so it IS being controlled by the program, so now the question is: why are the character blocks all black??.

or your flowchart has been set to clear display, but not reaching a print number or string command.
If you can see the row of squares then your hardware is not controlling the display. E.g timing is wrong due to target clock settings, target not running correctly Eg problem with config settings. plugged into a different port than set up in component properties.
one of the port pins may not be available. e.g is LVP is set then port B3 is available to use ect.
tulipman wrote: I did not change anything in the LCD-fc4 file, but I will check if there are changes in the display when I change something in the code.

Important:
What you could do to save time is create a simple 1 Hz flasher. Connect the LED Eblock, or measure voltage. If port is toggling at 1Hz, you can assume the configuration is all correct.
tulipman wrote: I guess the 0.5 Hz flashing at this moment is indicating that I'm almost there.

Thanks for all your kind help!!

Robbert

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

tulipman wrote: Hi there.

In your previous post, You mentioned something about LVP programming.

I checked the 'I/O output'/'LVP PROG' jumpers (labeled: J11, J16 and J17) on the EB006 Multi Programming board, and I noticed that they were all on the 'I/O Ouput' side.
I removed the power, then moved all three jumpers to the LVP PROG side, and now the display is REALLY flashing, still only black squares visable on the LCD display, but this is already a bBIG change!!
I'm almost there (I sincerly hope)....

I checked the compiler config (expert) settings and ticked the LVP programming setting to enabled, the jumpers are now all on the LVP side, and I did a recompile to PIC

There's no difference yet, still flashing through.

LCD display is flashing in 500ms tempo, so it IS controlled OK, now the last bump in the road is getting some characters.

I checked the code and it all makes sense.
It's transmitting the string 'Matrix'to line 1, and 'MultiMedia'to line 2.
Then it overwrites line 1 with 16 xxxxx's and same for line 2, and then it loops back, etc.

There must be a silly mistake somewhere, but I have absolutely NO clue.

Help!!!
Rgds

Robbert

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

tulipman wrote:

I checked the 'I/O output'/'LVP PROG' jumpers (labeled: J11, J16 and J17) on the EB006 Multi Programming board, and I noticed that they were all on the 'I/O Ouput' side.
LVP PROG jumpers must all be on I/O
Low voltage programming must be disabled.
You only needed that for the LED board test file. I never used LVP, so it can free up portB 3

When you check for 1Hz flashing. It would be wise to check whole of port B.
eg
Loop while 1
set port B at 255 (all 8 LEDs should be on)
dealy 500ms
Set port B to 0 (all 8 LEDs should be off)
dealy 500ms
repeat forever

Make sure target clock speed is set at 19660800 Hz

Your LCD should then work with the test file. If not, post the flowchart you are using and will look at that for you
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

medelec35 wrote:
tulipman wrote:

LVP PROG jumpers must all be on I/O
Low voltage programming must be disabled.
You only needed that for the LED board test file. I never used LVP, so it can free up portB 3

When you check for 1Hz flashing. It would be wise to check whole of port B.
eg
Loop while 1
set port B at 255 (all 8 LEDs should be on)
dealy 500ms
Set port B to 0 (all 8 LEDs should be off)
dealy 500ms
repeat forever

Make sure target clock speed is set at 19660800 Hz

Your LCD should then work with the test file. If not, post the flowchart you are using and will look at that for you

That was dead easy.
I have all the leds (D0-D7) flashing in a 2 Hz tempo.
That all worked.
Jumpers are are in the PORT I/O position.

If I remove the LED board (EB-004) from Port B and connect the LCD display board to Port B, the display flashes in 2 Hz temp.

So now the question: why doesn't the darned LCD display display characters??

Robbert

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

It's odd how LCD blocks flash at the same time the LEDS was suppose to.
Can you do one other thing please.

Set all LEDs on port B to on.
Set a delay icon for 60 seconds
Turn all LEDs off.

Can you time how long LEDs were actually on for and post results with the Flowchart that your using to drive LCD display.
Hopefully then we can solve the mystery for you.
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

medelec35 wrote: It's odd how LCD blocks flash at the same time the LEDS was suppose to.
Can you do one other thing please.

Set all LEDs on port B to on.
Set a delay icon for 60 seconds
Turn all LEDs off.

Can you time how long LEDs were actually on for and post results with the Flowchart that your using to drive LCD display.
Hopefully then we can solve the mystery for you.

Hi there,

This is the code:

BEGIN
Output 255 >> Port B
DELAY 60 Secs
Output 0 >> Port B
END
(Xtal oscillator is used)

Timed using a stopwatch. Results:
All 8 LEDs were on for exactly 60 seconds, then off.

Attached are the Flowchart for the LCD testprogram. It's simply the original sample code that I took from the MM site
Also attached is a screendump that I made, with all my remarks.
Robbert

PS:

To give you the opportunity to actually have a look at the 'real thing', I shot 2 video's:
While the Multiprogrammer board is running the LCD-fc4 program using a PIC16F88 chip (jumpers on I/O port side), one video shows what the LCD display
looks like (I took it in a slightly low angle so unfortunately it's not very visible that it's actually flashing a bit), and
in the other video, it shows what it looks like when a LED board is connected to port B.

Please download the 2 video's (zipped) from my server: http://www.herksen.com/2videos.zip)
Attachments
LCD-fc4 flowcart and settings details.png
Screendump of the Flowcart for the LCD-fc4 program, with added details
(144.88 KiB) Downloaded 7192 times
LCD-fc4.fcf
Flowchart for the LCD testprogram. It's simply the original sample code that I took from the MM site.
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Last edited by tulipman on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Your programming board appears to be set up for running LCD Display. I believe practically everything was covered.
If the LCD is working it is quiet easy to set up. That's why I wondering if it is OK or faulty? Perhaps removing and then placing back the 6way jumper from default side will help, if there is a bad connection.
if it was me and I know the flowchart including configuration settings is 100% OK, I would create a flowchart to put each pin of port B on one at a time, then measure the pins at the corresponding jumpers of default header (j5) of LCD. E.g only port b0 = +5V. same +5V should be on the two pins of jumper nearest the edge of the board etc.
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hmm I belive I may know the cause of your problem
tulipman wrote:connect the LCD display board to Port B, the display flashes in 2 Hz temp.
I got the same flashing, but only before +5 was connected to the terminal block of LCD board. After Connecting a wire from +V of EB006 to LCD board, the 2Hz flashing stopped.
So your problem could be missing +5V supply to LCD board?
If you have a meter can you check this please? If you can measure +5V at +V terminal then I believe your LCD board is faulty?
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

medelec35 wrote:Hmm I belive I may know the cause of your problem
tulipman wrote:connect the LCD display board to Port B, the display flashes in 2 Hz temp.
medelec35 wrote:I got the same flashing, but only before +5 was connected to the terminal block of LCD board. After Connecting a wire from +V of EB006 to LCD board, the 2Hz flashing stopped.
So your problem could be missing +5V supply to LCD board?
If you have a meter can you check this please? If you can measure +5V at +V terminal then I believe your LCD board is faulty?
tulipman wrote: Hi,
Errrrrrrrr, In the first line you say: "After Connecting a wire from +V of EB006 to LCD board, the 2Hz flashing stopped."
Do you mean that YOU actually see characters on your display when you connect the +V terminal to +5 VDC???

In the last line you say: "" If you can measure +5V at +V terminal then I believe your LCD board is faulty?"
So: if I can measure +5VDC voltage on the +V terminal, then my board is broken?

IMHO I looks to me like you say two different things here, or I do not understand it very well (it's late, heh heh)
SHOULD there be ~%VDC on the ~V terminal or not???

The J1 terminal on my LCD board is NOT connected to anything, but I measure a 4.1 VDC on the +V terminal.
So, is that good or not??

Cheers

Robbert

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

tulipman wrote: The J1 terminal on my LCD board is NOT connected to anything, but I measure a 4.1 VDC on the +V terminal.
You MUST connect a wire from +V on your EB006 to +V (j1) on your LCD board
If you don't it wont work!
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

medelec35 wrote:Your programming board appears to be set up for running LCD Display. I believe practically everything was covered.
If the LCD is working it is quiet easy to set up. That's why I wondering if it is OK or faulty? Perhaps removing and then placing back the 6way jumper from default side will help, if there is a bad connection.
if it was me and I know the flowchart including configuration settings is 100% OK, I would create a flowchart to put each pin of port B on one at a time, then measure the pins at the corresponding jumpers of default header (j5) of LCD. E.g only port b0 = +5V. same +5V should be on the two pins of jumper nearest the edge of the board etc.
tulipman wrote: You wrote: "put each pin of port B on one at a time, then measure the pins at the corresponding jumpers of default header (j5) of LCD."

Where is connector J5 on the LCD board???
I see only J1 (the green plastic +V terminal), J2 (the DB9 connector), J3 (Default header), J4 (PATCH header)
I don't see a J5 header on the LCD board.

I think you meant: j3

Otherwise±
Can you tell me where that one goes hiding?

Rgds

Robbert

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Sorry typo I meant j3 not j5..like you said getting late and font is fairly small sorry about that.

But you should not have 4.1Vdc on +V of terminal block J1, if you have then connection wire form programmer to LCD diisplay is open circuit or missing. Make sure wire is connected from +V of EB006 to LCD. Press reset button, and adjust contrast then hopefully you will get your LCD display to work
Martin

tulipman

Post by tulipman »

tulipman wrote: The J1 terminal on my LCD board is NOT connected to anything, but I measure a 4.1 VDC on the +V terminal.
medelec35 wrote: You MUST connect a wire from +V on your EB006 to +V (j1) on your LCD board
If you don't it wont work!
Hi!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I made a connection from +V (J7 on EB006, Multiprogrammer Board) to +V (J1 on EB005, LCD board), and I have text on my
LCD display.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

I would be NOWHERE without your help.

But: now I would really like to know if:

1) do YOU have to do the same on your board (i.e. connecting a wire between EB006 and EB005)??
2) WHERE do you think is the [hardware] problem?? On the LCB board or on the EB006???

Again: THANKS a million, man!!
You saved my life!!!