EB006 rev. 7 "unknown device"

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Bit

EB006 rev. 7 "unknown device"

Post by Bit »

Just received my new programmer EB006, rev. 7.
Before that, I used an EB006 rev.6 programmer (along with Flowcode 4 pro for PIC). Everything was working smoothly and without errors.
Using the same setup, I thought that replacing the programmer with the newer version would be an easy thing to do.

But it doesn't work. I am using Windows 7 premium home 64 bit. The device was detected by the hardware manager, driver installation worked correct. When I'm trying to program the 16F88, programmer writes "error 31", along with "usb cable not connected".
Thinking of that Windows 7 64bit could cause this issue with the new programmer (remember: the olde one works very well), I was using it on a machine running Windows XP SP3. Similar troubles here: device is detected as "unknown device" (even with newest drivers!).

Looking at the solder side of the programmer, I saw a "piece of plastic" between two pins. Taking a closer look, this isn't plastic at all - looks like a smd component which has been soldered between two pins. Some sort of intermediate patch? Please take a look of the attached photos.

Doesn't look good and I'm afraid that this programmer is broken (tried same settings as with rev.6). Yellow LED (USB connection?) lights up when power supply is being connected.

What to do next? Please help, thank you in advance.
Attachments
Closeup
Closeup
IMAG0292.jpg (44.45 KiB) Viewed 6515 times
solder side
solder side
IMAG0290.jpg (51.12 KiB) Viewed 6566 times
Last edited by Bit on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: EB006 rev. 7 "unknown device"

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi
Not sure why your programmer isn't working. but I can assure you the SMD component on the back of the board should be there.
See my previous post
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Do you have any of the following devices also plugged into your computer?

Another EB006?
FlowKIT?
Development Board HP488?
Formula Flowcode?
MIAC?
Locktronics PIC?
PIC ECIO?

If you do then you will have to unplug them first to allow the computer to correctly talk to the v7 EB006 programmer board.

The SMD component underneath the board was retrofitted to get around a problem that was causing the microcontroller to stop running when the USB cable was not connected.

Bit

Post by Bit »

Hello,

@JohnCrow:
Thanks for feedback and pointing me to your topic. I was searching for the wrong topics, so I didn't found this one - sorry.

@Benj:
None of the mentioned components are plugged in and I bought the rev.7 board to cut down the count of my devices (Flowkit).
I was trying to install only drivers for the EB006 rev.7, which didn't work. It only says "unknown device" under Windows XP.
Using Win7 64bit it says "device reports an error" - sometimes. I am using one of the rear USB connectors (no hub, no front connectors) and I also cleaned up all USB devices (especially those which aren't connected) before re-installing the rev.7 board.
Changing the USB cable doesn't help, either.

Do I have to change driver software between rev.06 and rev.07 or do they use the same drivers?

[edit: corrected spelling of benj]
Last edited by Bit on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

No the drivers should be the same for both versions.

Would you mind sending the board back to me and I will do some testing and get a replacement sent out to you.

The address is:

Ben Rowland.
Matrix Multimedia Ltd
The Factory,
Emscote Street South,
Halifax, W.Yorks,
HX1 3AN,
England

Also please make sure to include your name and address so I know where to send the replacement board.

Bit

Post by Bit »

Hello Benj,

of course I'll send you my board for debugging and testing (and replacing).
One more thing which you should know:
Now, using Win7 64bit, the machine shows this message (hardware manager) "device stopped because it reports an error (code 43)".

Further details will be mailed to you - thank you.

Regards,
Bit

petesmart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by petesmart »

Hi Ben,

I have an EB006 board Rev.7. it has the SMD component ( or did) on the back of the connector. On further inspection one side of the component has detached from the pin and the component lead has sheared off at the case making it impossible to re attach.

I suspect that this component is a diode (one side of a transistor package) used to bridge power to the CPU in USB mode, am I correct? I would appreciate confirmation and the orientation of the component so I can replace it with a discrete component.

many thanks.

best regards

Pete
sorry about that Chief!

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Pete,

The device is a fairly low current schottky diode. It is connected to the bottom left hand side of J29 when looking from the underside. The diode's anode is connected to the bottom middle pin and the cathode is connected to the bottom left pin.
Attachments
IMAG0290.jpg
IMAG0290.jpg (4.89 KiB) Viewed 6519 times