Displaying on LCD chip

For Formula Flowcode Micromouse users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to the Formula Flowcode Micromouse.

Moderator: Benj

bhamini

Displaying on LCD chip

Post by bhamini »

Hi,

I want to display a word (for example: "hello")on my LCD chip.
I have connected the LCD chip to the formula flowcode robot and set it to port D. When I am running my program on it, only the LEDs flashing on the robot are flashing on the LCD board. What should I do to display the word hello on it?
Also, I want to know if there are certain external connections that must be made to LCD chip apart from connecting it to the E-block port of the robot.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Displaying on LCD chip

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The LEDs on the formula flowcode are commoned with PortD so do not worry about the LEDs lighting up when communicating with the LCD. Also be aware that you will not be able to control the LEDs without corrupting the contents on your LCD display.

The LCD E-block requires a 5V +V connection to work which can be taken from the 5V out screw terminal on the formula flowcode.

bhamini

Post by bhamini »

Well, this is the flowcode program I tried.

1. BEGIN
2.LCD display (Start)
3. While Loop,
4. LCD Display (Clear)
5. LCD Display Print string "hello"
6. Delay for 1 second
7. Formula Flowcode- Write LEDS (255)
8. Delay for 1 second
10. Formula Flowcode- Write LEDS (0)
11. Delay for 1 second
12 End loop
13. END

When I run the above program, only the LEDS keep flashing on the LCD board. Nevertheless, it must be noted that the word 'hello; is displayed when I run the simulation on my computer.
Please advise.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

What do you mean by the LEDs keep flashing on the LCD board? The LCD boards does not have any LEDs to flash. Do you mean the LCD display is flashing on and off? Have you connected the wire from the +5V screw terminal to the +V terminal on the LCD?

bhamini

Post by bhamini »

Hi,

Yes I did the wiring. And yes, the LCD keeps flashing on and off. Am assuming that the program for flashing on the robot's LEDs is flashing on the LCD as well.
How can i display 'hello' on the LCD?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Could you try this program and see how you get on...
Attachments
FF_LCD_Test.fcf
(5 KiB) Downloaded 1158 times

bhamini

Post by bhamini »

Hi,

The program you sent me works on the simulation. But, when downloaded on the LCD connected to the robot's port, it doesn't work.

I even tried connecting the LCD chip to the multiprogrammer board and converted the program you sent me in hex before trying to download it to the chip. But to no avail. :( It simply does not work!

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hello,

I have just tried the program myself with an EB005 LCD board connected into the E-blocks connector port on the Formula Flowcode and it displayed the "Hello" perfectly. Have you tested your LCD plugged into a normal programmer and downloaded a simple "Hello World" via that?

What is happening when you try Bens program on your LCD?
Does it show nothing?
Is it showing corrupted characters?
Is it a custom LCD or an EB005?
Have you got the contrast turned down?
Is it powered by 5V?

bhamini

Post by bhamini »

Hi DavidA,

I wrote a program in 'microbacic' and downloaded in to my LCD after the latter was connected to a multiprogrammer board. The LCD works perfectly there.

But, when connected to the robot, the flowcode program does not work. My LCD chip does not display anything. I get a message that the program was successfully downloaded on my pc screen once the download has completed. But then, the LCD does not display anything!

Am using an EB005, properly wired to the robot's 5V supply and I even turned the contrast adjusting knob in both directions. But still, I don't get any display.
Can videos be posted here? I can film what am doing and you can take a look where am going wrong.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

There is an option in the properties of the formula flowcode component that forces the program to wait for you to press one of the front buttons before the program will start. Could this be the cause of the problem?

edindia

Post by edindia »

Hi
Its very easy in working with flowcode and LCD.
I have specified all the easy steps in my site.
Please find it to know more.
www.edindia.co.in :D

aukki

Post by aukki »

Hello!
I have tested the LCD panel EB-005 with a formula buggy. The panel display is a little while (about 1 sec) okay but then goes to the gray squares. LCD display processor go crazy? The program and the panel operates in an e-blocs . The panel is connected to a power supply. Could it be a data entry timing issue?