EB022 motor driver board (which motor to buy)

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

LesPaul

EB022 motor driver board (which motor to buy)

Post by LesPaul »

I'm a total newbie on driving motors and I don't know where to get started. Do you have a (or more) suggestion(s) which motor to buy to get started? Pls supply details such as brand and model (number)... I don't have any knowledge of how the feedback mechanism to control the motors works and therefore, I don't know where to look...

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: EB022 motor driver board (which motor to buy)

Post by Sean »

The EB022 board is capable of driving a very wide range of motors.
The motor supply voltage is independent of the logic voltage (VPWR terminal). We have used the board to control motors from 3v to 24v. Some voltage is dropped within the drive chip so a 3v motor can usually be driven from 3 or 4 AA rechargeable batteries.

Our standard configurations for the board are to control 2 d.c. motors in full-bridge mode (independent direction and pwm speed control), or a single stepper motor (bi-polar or uni-polar windings).

MFA/Como offer a good range of typical d.c. motors and gearboxes with a variety of voltage options (e.g. Mabuchi RE-140, RE-280 etc.).
McLennan are a typical manufacturer of small stepper motors.

The EB022 drive chip is capable of supplying uto 2A from any single output, and a combined total of 4A for all outputs together.

None of the d.c. motors are supplied with feedback encoders. Many robotics websites offer practical unstructions for adding encoders to motors - usually by adding slotted disks and opto sensors. Some PIC microcontrollers contain a Quadrature Encoder Module to handle encoder signals in hardware. Software techniques are available if alternative devices are to be used.

A good example of a d.c. motor with encoder feedback included is the motor supplied with the Lego NXT, which runs at 9v. These can be obtained separately, though electrical connections are a little difficult without the correct lead.