GSM Module

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

BEANBAGS

GSM Module

Post by BEANBAGS »

Hi there,
I am doing a project for which I am using flowcode v4 with the matrix EB066. V4 doesnt have GSM on it. This is the only version I can use as it was provided for me. The PIC I am using is the 18F4480. I am new enough to using flowcode and was unsure if it was possible to use RS232 to set up the GSM module. If its possible to use RS232 to communicate with the GSM module, where can i find a list of instructions needed to initialise the GSM module.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: GSM Module

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi
Flowcode 4.5 has support for the GSM module.
Here is a link to one of my projects using the board in FC4.5

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... hilit=+gsm

If you have a licence for any professional version of FC4 you can download the update to FC4.5 which will allow you to use the board.
(This is a free update, you only have to pay if you want to upgrade to FC5)
It is advisable to have the latest release in what ever version you are running to include any bug fixes ect.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

BEANBAGS

Post by BEANBAGS »

Thanks for the link,
I have now gotten the GSM part of my project going. For the end product I am going to be putting into a box along with a PCB, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy an antenna for the EB066 ti place on top of the box. The PCB antenna on the EB066 is giving me reception problems in the collage lab. I was looking on here but was not able to find one. If anyone could point me in the direction of where i can but a suitable antenna for the GSM-GC864Quad it would help a lot.

Thank you,

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hi

You can try here to buy one antenna. Before buying contact with them and tell them the issue you mentioned here and let them to choose the right one for you.
http://www.roundsolutions.com/techdocs/#antennas
Hope this helps :)
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The issue is likely not the antenna but the frequency band of the SIM your using. Which country are you in and what mobile network are you using? There was a problem with the powering chain for the v1 board which means it only actually works well on a couple of GSM bands. The v2 board has resolved this issue and all SIM types are working nicely with the existing antenna.

BEANBAGS

Post by BEANBAGS »

Hi guys,

What is the correct method of establishing a connection to the GSM Network, currently what I am doing is,
1 - Initialize GSM (Not using a variable )
2 - I then check for network status and when it is equal to one the program continues,
3 - I then send a txt message.

Sometimes this works and more time it does not, Do I have to initialise the GSM module after every time I send a message or just once at the start,

Thanks

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The check network status command simply checks to see if there is communication with the network but doesn't check the overall signal quality and therefore the text could be being sent before the network link has become stable.

You could maybe use the command AT+CSQ in your program using the SendCommand function which will return a string using the ReadString function that will show you your actual network signal strength.

BEANBAGS

Post by BEANBAGS »

Hi Benj

Thanks for your reply, I am pretty certain that I am connected to the network, The LED on the GSM module is flashing once and turning off for 3 seconds as it says it should on the datasheet. When I ring the GSM module the LED lights up constantly. However when i try to send a message from my flowcode program or try to send a message to the GSM module they are not received. I am using a program that has worked several times before, but for some reason is not working now.

I tried checking the signal strength using the Check Signal Quality function and it returns 255, I am not all that familiar with flowcode and am unsure what to enter in the send command function. For the send command function you mentioned I set the parameters, as AT+CSQ,1 and this returned |||.

Thanks.

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hi,

I guess that could be PDU or Text mode issue as well. Can you please post the program you are trying so that I have a look what is going wrong? Or if you want I can post a sample msg sending and receiving program for you.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

BEANBAGS

Post by BEANBAGS »

Hi Enamul,

Thank you for your reply, I have attached the code that I am trying to get to run. The program operates sometimes and others it just sits there displaying the menu. It is connected to the network but doesn't seem to detect incoming messages. Other times it detects the incoming messages.

Thank you,
Attachments
program.fcf
(39.24 KiB) Downloaded 469 times

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hi
Can you please test this program and put your number in initial string box and see whether it works for you or not? Please make sure you are in right LCD port and GSM module is connected in PORTC and RTS and CTS in right PORTC pin as in program or change in program if necessary.
Attachments
GSM_Remote_Control.fcf
(12.37 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

BEANBAGS

Post by BEANBAGS »

Hi Enamul

I tested that program using my own PIC 18F448 and it worked, I have tried to follow to implement what you have done in my own code, now I am sending messages from the module. I will have a play around with it and let you know how i get on. Thank you very much for taking the time to put that together for me, I appreciate you help,

Kind regards.

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

It's nice to hear that it works now. Thank you very much for letting me know so quickly.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com