Could not ID the onboard chip HP6339

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Lariekoek

Could not ID the onboard chip HP6339

Post by Lariekoek »

Hello,

I'm using the Matrix HP6339 PICmicro programmer (basically just an e-block in a case) to program an PIC16F88. I've done this countless times, but recently it started going wrong.

When I want to load the already programmed pic again with an updatet program, PPP v3 gives me the "Could not ID the onboard chip" message and programming fails. This happens at random after the chip has been reprogrammed successfully dozens of times. The chip is still working when I put it back in the hardware, but can't be reprogrammed anymore...

Replacing it with a "fresh" chip solves the problem for a while, only to repeat itself after a few programs.
I've already trashed 7 chips since this project due to this problem, so it's starting to become a little expensive and very annoying...

Does anyone recognize this issue, of knows how to solve it? Maybe there is a problem with my hardware, or the programmer settings..? Both are attached to this post, plz help! :)
Attachments
Knipsel.JPG
Knipsel.JPG (78.82 KiB) Viewed 6065 times
Design2.pdf
(53.33 KiB) Downloaded 241 times

EtsDriver

Could not ID the onboard chip

Post by EtsDriver »

That sounds a bit like a hardware problem to me, if chips are dying after couple reprogramming's...
How old is the HP programmer board?

Have you tried different power supply for the HP6339? (Recommend this first, as ive seen some PSU's fail)
EDIT: check this too viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76

Have you checked the voltages on board? What voltage are you supplying to the EB-006?
Can you check the regulators output voltages just after startup and let then board be like 10-20 minutes with supply on, pic connected, and check again? Use your senses, is there parts that are heating too much?

After symptom starts, could you try unplugging the programmer and let it sit for some time?

My eBlocks ZIF board just died other day (after years of heavy service), but it was a clear mechanical failure in the ZIF socket, so im grabbing a new socket for it.

Could you too try to take the ZIF eblocks board out and try programming a chip directly on the eblocks multiprogrammer(EB-006-xx)? If that works, it sounds like problem on the ZIF board.

AFAIK, the EB-006-00-9 is prone to heat too much when supplied from 12V source (the first black multiprogrammer), but 9V seems ok. The older version 8 was better to stand 12V supply.
Ill just keep the good work up!

Lariekoek

Re: Could not ID the onboard chip HP6339

Post by Lariekoek »

Thanks for your comment! I'll check all of this tonight. Programmer is +- 5 years old and feeded through usb only.

EtsDriver

Re: Could not ID the onboard chip HP6339

Post by EtsDriver »

Do you have time to check out the reset pin voltage with scope when doing programming cycle? If I remember correctly, this pin may have high voltages (9-13v) present when doing high voltage programming..
Ill just keep the good work up!