Testing the Relais board

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Azii

Testing the Relais board

Post by Azii »

Hi everyone,

E-Block EB038 Relais Board.

I'm having problems with testing the Relais board, i have everything i need for it to test it such as the main board, all the cables and so on.
While testing it, but at the test text it says the leds will illuminate in turn and the corresponding relays should be heard to switch but none of those are visable.
Does anyone maybe had the same problem or could help me trying to solve this problem?

Thanks in Advance.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Testing the Relais board

Post by Benj »

Hello

What are you using to test the relay board?
If you are using a EB006 PICmicro board then you can download the test file from here.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/software/Relay_Test.zip

Make sure the EB006 is configured correctly to run the file eg RC / XTAL switch in XTAL position.

Test files and datasheets for Matrix E-Blocks are all available from here.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/eblocks/index.php

Azii

Post by Azii »

Hello,

Yes i have the EB006 board, i'm working with flowcode/e-blocks for school but the teachers aren't so far with e blocks aswell. i've tried to solve it with a teacher. i've tried to test already with that test file but nothing worked like it should be, and i have set it in the XTAL position and also confirmed it at the PPPV3 setting that its not on RC but on XTAL. but maybe a stupid question but could you maybe define what the difference between RC and XTAL actually means ( E - block rookie ).

Thanks in advance :)

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sean »

If you are sure that the program is running correctly, the problem might be the supply to the relay board. One of the +V terminals needs to be connected to one of the +V terminals on the EB006. The 4-way jumper also needs tobe set correctly. If you are using pins 0 to 3 of the selected port to control the relays, the jumpers should be set to the LOW option.

If you are unsure whether your program is running correctly, write a simple loop program that slowly cycles one of the outputs high and low (use a 'While 1' loop with a 1 second delay after each output command). You should be able to detect this output using a meter.

The RC / XTAL switch selects from one of two system clock sources (this must match the settings in PPP). XTAL uses the crystal oscillator, which is fast and accurate. The RC option uses a resistor-capacitor timing circuit which is generally slower and less accurate, but is cheaper (important in some mass production applications) and is easily variable (using the RV1 potentiometer). The RC - SLOW mode can run slow enough to allow the execution of individual commands to be followed. The FAST / SLOW switch has no effect when the XTAL option is selected.

Azii

Post by Azii »

Hi there,

Thanks for the help so far, i really appreciate it.
I've connected a wire from the EB006 controller ( +14 ) to the +V from the relay board. i've used a program that that allows running on and off from the LEDs of the Relay board but i don't hear them clicking on and off, only the LEDs are visable. this works so far.

I've searched another topic about relay board and i have used an flowcode chart from this comment :

Create a loop with a 1 for the parameter/. This will cause the loop to repeat forever.

Inside the loop create two output icons. Make sure they are both pointed to the same port and then change the values so that one outputs 255 and the other outputs 0. Add second delays in between the output icons to slow down the operation. What this will do is toggle the pins on one of the 8-bit ports allowing any relays connected to the pins to be switched on and off.

Now i want to do some measurements on the Relais board and the only thing i've reached so far is that i measure +5v on my input from the relay board but i dont measure anything else on the relay's themself. not even Ohms or any Voltage. is this normal or is there something im doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Rookie Flowcode user :D

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sean »

Hello,

The LEDs on the relay board are connected directly across the coils of each relay. When an LED is on, the reay it is connected to is being energised. If the voltage on the +V terminal is high enough (>10V) the energised relay should switch to its 'on' state successfully.

The relay contacts do not supply any voltage, they are isolated switches.

When a relay is not energised there will be a short-circuit between the NC and the COMM terminals, and an open-circuit between the NO and the COMM terminals.
When the relay is energised there will be an open-circuit between the NC and the COMM terminals, and a short-circuit between the NO and the COMM terminals.
The NO and NC terminals are never shorted together.

The voltage or signal to be switched by each relay should normally be connected to its COMM terminal, making it available at one of the other terminals depending on the state of the relay (NC when not energised, NO when energised).

A wire from one of the 5V or 14V terminals conected to each COMM terminal could be used as a voltage source.

Note: The relay contact do not have any form of over-voltage or over-current protection. The coil and contact specifications are clearly marked on each relay.

Azii

Post by Azii »

Hey!

Yes it works i've connected the relay board on the +14V from the EB006 and i hear the Relay ticking when the led jumps on, thanks alot for that! Now it's up to programming in flowcode and sending it to the specific item i need to complete my integrated test.

I'll post if i have any problems including programming.

Thanks for all the help so far !!

Addicted e blocks user :D