Are E-blocks needed ??

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

ksor

Are E-blocks needed ??

Post by ksor »

I'm potential user of FlowCode and I have 2 Q:

1)
I want to use my own LEDs, switches, relays ...
Do I need E-blocks ?
What do E-blocks do for me ?

2)
Can FlowCode work with MicroChip PICStart PLUS (fully updated) ?
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Are E-blocks needed ??

Post by Benj »

Hello

Yes using your own Switches, LEDs, Relays hardware etc is fine and will work no problem with the Flowcode components.

The main thinking behind E-Blocks is to allow a user to rapid prototype a design and sort out their software and then if they want to take the design further then they use the schematics available in the E-Blocks datasheets to build their own hardware. Another advantage of E-Blocks is that the user can dissasemble and reassemble to create new projects.

Flowcode produces a hex file that you should be able to manually load onto your hardware using your PICstart programming tool. If this programming tool has command line options then it can be integrated directly into Flowcode so that the compile to chip button automatically programs via your hardware.

KeithSloan

Post by KeithSloan »

If your needs cannot be meet by the Standard E-Blocks I would recommend that you consider
creating your own user E-Blocks. That way you get the advantages of reuse. Think of it as creating your own building blocks. Think along the lines that where you want to attach to a port on a PIC processor you use a 9-pin D shell.

Its unlikely that you can produce the equivalent of a standard E-Block at a cheaper price, as Matrix Multimedia have the advantage of purchasing in Bulk. Unless of course you can get components cheap and already have PCB making facilities.

Just my 2p worth

singhdeol

Post by singhdeol »

Yes it is possible to connect your hand built components like a key pad or led array to your e-block mainborad. If you look at the end of the datasheet of any eblock like the lcd or led etc you will even find a schematics of how to built that it.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

What I do is use just one Main eblock in addition to programmer - EB0016 Proto Board and just add my own components.
Protoboard.jpg
Protoboard.jpg (48.35 KiB) Viewed 5845 times
Another alternative which I have also done is use your own prototyping board, then either connect wires from programmer to connections of chip that are use for ICSP See:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/support ... ?f=2&t=586.

Or if not got EB006 Programmer and you have a PICkit 2 or 3, or some other command line programmer, then that can be connected to your prototyping board. Flowcode can then directly program target device that's attached to prototyping board. For setting up Flowcode to program via PICkit see:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/support ... .php?t=554
So no, you do not have to use eblocks including programmer, but eblocks work well is designing something in a hurry.

Re PICStart PLUS.
I did find this in a post:
Sean wrote:It is now possible to use several programming devices directly from Flowcode.

Piklab-prog (available from http://piklab.sourceforge.net/download.php) is a command line interface that is intended to support programmers including Picstart Plus, ICD1 and ICD2. It is still in beta version and we are having some difficulties with Picstart plus, but ICD2 works well using either com1 or usb - we have not tested ICD1.

The downloaded Piklab-prog files should be saved to a suitable folder. I have created a 'Piklab-prog' folder in my existing Flowcode installation.

Piklab-prog seems to require an ICD01xxxx firmware version in the ICD2. An 'upload_firmware' command is available, or this can be done from MPLAB.
Copy the ICD2 firmware file from the \MPLAB IDE\ICD2 installation into the 'Piklab-prog' folder (e.g. ICD01020701.hex).

Create a text file with the following contents and save it to the 'Piklab-prog' folder as 'Piklab-cmd.bat':

"%~dp0\piklab-prog.exe" -c program -p %1 -t %2 -d %3 "%4"

IF "%1"=="icd2" GOTO RunProg

GOTO End

:RunProg
"%~dp0\piklab-prog.exe" -c run -p %1 -t %2 -d %3

:End

Set up the 'Programmer' section of the 'Chip->Compiler Options' menu in Flowcode.

The location path in the following example settings assume a standard installation. It can be adapted to match the selected location of the folder containing piklab-cmd.bat, the Piklab-prog files and the ICD01xxxx.hex file.

C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V3\piklab-prog\piklab-cmd.bat

Parameters:
icd2 usb %p %D\%f.hex

Note: The 'Browse..." option can not be used to search for piklab-cmd.bat as the filter is set to .exe only.

The icd2 and usb parameters can be changed to match any of the supported programmers.

Examples.

icd2 com1 %p %D\%f.hex (use ICD2 on COM1)

psp com1 %p %D\%f.hex (use Picstart Plus on COM1. * This option is currently causing problems *)
I don't know if that will work with VCP (virtual com port), or even with picstart updates, as post is from Jan 2008. Maybe Sean or someone else could answer that?
Martin

singhdeol

Post by singhdeol »

I didnot know about the EBOO16 now that i do i will sure to give it a try

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

EBOO16 will not plug directly into programmer, you will also require patch leads e.g EB635 or EB634 gender changer or RS232 mouse extension lead. So long as there is a 9way D female, one end and 9way D male the other connected in parallel, will work Fine. I bought both EB635 (since can connect to two or one socket of EB006) and mouse extension lead since is long and have the prototype board some distance away if required.
I used single core cable for connections from sil socket to board, but If I did not have the cable, I would have bought:
Prototype board lead pack (FLLPCK)
You can also make up your own custom Eblocks. See:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 521#p21521
Martin