Serial Lcds ?

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

john hauton

Serial Lcds ?

Post by john hauton »

Hi,
Having used eblocks and flowcode for some time now, mainly at a hobby level, I think it is one of the best ways to learn about microcontrollers and programming. If I had to pick one area where things could be slightly easier, it would be to have a serial lcd eblock. They use a lot fewer i / o lines.
Any thoughts......
Thanks for an easy and interesting path for mcu programming.

Regards John

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Serial Lcds ?

Post by Benj »

Hello John

Many thanks for your comments.

We are releasing a new full colour graphical LCD module in the near future that uses SPI for communications which will mean that you only need 3 pins for communicating with the module.

vincentchong

Post by vincentchong »

Hi ben,

can you kindly explain the macros : command, ram_write and scroll display for LCD component? As i have been trying to use them.

Thanks
Vincent

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Vincent,

This is taken from the component help file,

ScrollDisplay(BYTE Direction, BYTE Num_Positions)
Scrolls the display data left or right by a number of positions specified by the Num_Positions variable.
If the Direction byte is 0, 'l' or 'L' then the LCD data will scroll to the left.
If the Direction byte is 1, 'r' or 'R' then the LCD data will scroll to the right.

RAM_Write(BYTE nIdx, BYTE D0, BYTE D1, BYTE D2, BYTE D3, BYTE D4, BYTE D5, BYTE D6, BYTE D7)
Modifies the internal memory of the LCD device to allow for up to 8 customised characters to be created and stored into the device memory.
Custom characters are referenced by using a nIdx parameter of 0 - 7 to specify the customised character you wish to edit.
The Dx bytes define the 8 data columns that are associated with the custom character.
To print out the custom charater on the display use the PrintASCII macro using the number as the Character parameter.
NOTE. This macro does not simulate.

john hauton

Post by john hauton »

Hi,
Thanks for the info Benj, it will be somethin to look forward to.
Sorry about the delay in replying, computer trouble !!??!!

Kind regards John

Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

Hi Benj,
The Scroll Info is great, You mentioned that this info was part of the component help file. I must be having a slow day because I can find this information in the help file. :oops:
In the help menu I've run a FIND for LCD, scroll, ram, ram_write etc but cant find the info. Am I looking in the wrong place.
Cheers,
John.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi John,

Sorry the main Flowcode help file is seperate from the individual component help files so this is probably why you can find any of the info.

To get the component help you must click on the component (right click v4 / left click down arrow v3) and select help from the menu.