Could not ID the onboard chip

Any general or miscellaneous queries that do not fit into the other forum catagories

Moderators: Benj, Mods

FCCHow

Could not ID the onboard chip

Post by FCCHow »

Not sure where to put this but if this is the wrong place, can the Mods please relocate the thread. Thanks.

This is my problem:

I am using Flowcode 3 and after not using the EB-006 programmer for months, I stored it in a plastic container box. But just today, I took it out to program some amendments to a project. The chip I am using is PIC12F629. After choosing "Compile to Chip", the software ran normally until it starts to program the PIC, thereby showing the following error,

"Could not ID the onboard chip - assuming it is the one specified in the configuration screen, i.e. PIC12F629", I pressed OK and then the next message came.

"PICmicro has not been erase. Continue?", I pressed OK only to see the summary screen stating that the programming has not been done. So I went to the CHIP -> CONFIGURE screen and at the PICmico Configuration (expert) - Slot 2 screen, I clicked on the Autodetect PICmicro button only to see, "Could not ID the onboard chip".

So I tried on the remaining 5 PIC12F629 chips and even a PIC12F683, they were all showing the same result. But when I put in a PIC16F628a and a PIC16F84a chip, they were recognised. I re-downloaded the USB driver and also the PPPv3.exe and reinstall them but to no avail.

Then the funny thing was, I plugged in a "working" PIC12F629 into the EB-006 and the LED board ED004 into PortA. By right, the LEDs should be lighting up but they did not. When I replaced the PIC back to my project board, it is working normally.

BTW, the board settings are (I am sure) not tampered:

J289 set to PSU as I am using a 13.4 voltage adaptor
J12J13J14 set to USB and I am using USB port to program
LVP selection set to I/O port
SW1 set to Fast (not relevant)
SW2 Set to XTAL (not relevant)

So, the question is, has the board gone faulty?
What can I take apart, today?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: Could not ID the onboard chip

Post by Steve »

Try changing SW2 to RC mode, reprogram, and then put the switch back to XT mode.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

These 8 pin Microchip devices are slightly dodgy at best and an absolute nightmare at worst. I would think it was these that had corrupted rather then the board itself.

My advice is avoid them like the plague if at all possible.

If you cannot avoid them then a PICkit programmer might be your best option.

FCCHow

Post by FCCHow »

Dear Benj,

Thanks for the information. It is weird that all 10 of my 8-pin PICs behaved this way, as if they have an expiry date. Anyway, I have no choice but to regress back to my old PICstart+ Programmer for them. Thank you very much.

Dear Steve,
I shall try the RC and XToption just in case.
What can I take apart, today?