RS232 Interrupt, USB232 and 16F886

Forum for problems or queries regarding Flowcode Comms Components. Eg LIN, I2C, SPI, RS232, CAN, IrDA etc

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Mark

RS232 Interrupt, USB232 and 16F886

Post by Mark »

RS232 Interrupt, USB232 and 18F886

Hi Guys,

I have read the previous posts on this topic with interest.

I therefore used as my starting point your example code for the RS232 interrupts. However, I cannot get it to work. That is to say that:

Using the HP-488 board with a USB232 and 16F886, example routines to send and receive characters from a PC worked perfectly well. As did your example interrupt application when I put in some teltales on the LCD (though not the interrupt part). I have checked the 18F886 data sheet and the interrupts C-code you put in seems correct (I take it that the GIE is implicit in the Flowcode icon, but adding it made no difference anyway). Obviously, I changed Flowcode to use the different chip.

Could you advise?

I also tried a 16F88 ( as per your example) but could not find a chip configuration that worked (there seem so many for this chip). If you recommend one then I will try it (I obviously tried the one that came with the example program).

If you can provide any skeleton routine that works with the 16F886 then I will be perfectly happy as I can work from that.

As an aside, for other readers there is quite a lots of variation regarding this interrupt between different chips and some of the older chips do not seem to support it (even though the registered names may be there in a dormant form).

Best regards

Mark
Go with the Flow.

Mark

Re: RS232 Interrupt, RS232 board and 16F886

Post by Mark »

Replying to yourself is sort of sad but :

I have got a 16F88 up and running now with the RS232 board and the example code interrupt routine still does not work. i.e. it is off the peg, no changes and the PC sending routing is fully tested.

So - has the example code ever been proven?

If so what might I have done wrong?

This routine is an important building block so some help please.

Thanks,

Mark
Go with the Flow.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: RS232 Interrupt, USB232 and 16F886

Post by Steve »

Hi Mark,

Sorry that you did not get a reply the first time around. I'll ask Ben to look into this today.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: RS232 Interrupt, USB232 and 16F886

Post by Benj »

Hello Mark

Please can you either attach the example program you are looking at or point me to the location of the forum post that you got the code from. I will see why it is not working on the 16F88.