AT90LS2343 programming with Flowcode?

Forum for problems or queries regarding Flowcode Comms Components. Eg LIN, I2C, SPI, RS232, CAN, IrDA etc

Moderators: Benj, Mods

JHartikka

AT90LS2343 programming with Flowcode?

Post by JHartikka »

Hi!

Is it possible to make programs for Atmel AT90LS2343 with the Flowcode for AVR?

I do not find it from the chip list of Flowcode.

Otherways, the Flowcode seems the easiest program to learn microcontroller programming for a beginner like me. :)

- Juha -

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: AT90LS2343 programming with Flowcode?

Post by Sean »

Hello Juha,

Yes, it should be possible to add the AT90LS2343 to the list of devices supported by Flowcode (it is related to the 2323 which is currently supported). I should be able to post the necessary file shortly.

The 2343 has been discontinued and Atmel recommend upgrading new applications to the pin compatible ATtiny25. Would this be an option, or is your hardware already fixed?

JHartikka

Post by JHartikka »

sean wrote:Hello Juha,

Yes, it should be possible to add the AT90LS2343 to the list of devices supported by Flowcode (it is related to the 2323 which is currently supported). I should be able to post the necessary file shortly.

The 2343 has been discontinued and Atmel recommend upgrading new applications to the pin compatible ATtiny25. Would this be an option, or is your hardware already fixed?
Hello Sean,

Wow, that would be fine, if it does not make you too much trouble..? I did not even know it is already discontinued. Building analog electronics and ham radio gear is familiar for me but I am quite new with programming anything.

I am instructing juniors to build simple robots and R/C electric flying models with motor speed controls etc. The local radio club has got a good supply of 2343's. These chips need very few components so they should be easy to use and program by beginners and lightweight enough even for miniature flying models. Now I am learning myself basics of simple microcontrollers to teach them to juniors. These things feel painful for me to learn, but the kids learn them in a moment..! I intend to make a series of R/C macros to Flowcode for them to create their motor ESC or motor/servo mixer programs easily.

Some of the youngsters are familiar with the Lego Mindstorm type of programming and the Flowcode seems be closest to it, so it is far easier for them to grasp than any written programming language. The same applies for me, too..! :lol:

Regards,

- Juha -

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sean »

Hello Juha,

Here is the fcd file required by Flowcode for the AT90S2343.
AT90S2343.fcd
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
Copy the file into the FCD folder of your Flowcode for AVR installation. It should appear in the list of supported target devices the next time you run Flowcode.
I have been able to successfully compile some test programs for the AT90S2343, but do not have any sample devices to carry out hardware tests.
If you are able to perform any further test we would be interested to know the results.

JHartikka

Flowcode for twin ESC mixer & V-tail servo mixer

Post by JHartikka »

sean wrote:Hello Juha,

Here is the fcd file required by Flowcode for the AT90S2343.

AT90S2343.fcd
Hi Sean,

Thank you very much for your kindness! I have myself a demo version only, so I will forward it to a more advanced junior of our club who is studying electronics with a full version of it in his school for compiling my Flowcode original to 2343 hex.

Meanwhile, I practised making a two channel servo pulse mixer with no previous practise of microcontroller coding. I really could make a simple program in a few days with Flowcode, so I must admit it is quick and easy to learn even for an old and slow man like me!

The mixer appers to work well in simulation with the ATmega32 chip of the demo. I made this primarily for twin motor electronic speed control steering of motor driven electric models, like robots or microflyers. It works as a servo mixer for V-tail planes, too, but as an ESC mixer it gives servos twice as large travel as a standard V-tail mixer, so be careful with it.

Servo / ESC mixer with Flowcode

Because I did not know how to measure pulse time, I made the program measure incoming pulses by counting how many loops the program makes while the pulse is coming. Outgoing mixed pulses are timed by same method, assuming that the loop frequency does not vary considerably. No high accuracy is needed for this application, so a few percent variation is tolerable.

Anyone is free to use it or edit and improve it for his needs. Attached are the Flowcode AVR original and C, hex and assembler files that were compiled by the program. I have not tested them in any chip because I have not built a programming board yet.

The Atmel chips are supposed to have very similar cores, so I suppose the Flowcode original can be compiled to other Atmel chips, too? Maybe even the files for ATmega32 could even be used to other Atmel chips 'as is'?

I configured the inputs and outputs of CH1 and CH2 to pins that are found in all Atmel chips so the same Flowcode source should easily suit other chips, too. The fifth pin output is for measuring the program loop frequency, to later set min and max limits for the abt. 1 ... 2 mS servo pulses, if needed.
Attachments
Servomixer version 1 by OH7HJ.hex
Mixer as hex, untested.
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
Servomixer version 1 by OH7HJ.c
C.
(5.62 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
Servomixer version 1 by OH7HJ.fcf_avr
The Flowcode original of twin ESC mixer & V-tail mixer. *** - marked boxes are for testing only and they should be removed before programming an actual chip. I hope this mixer can be compiled to other chips than ATmega32, too. Pse tell if you try it, anyone!
(5.5 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the programs. The Flowcode program should compile for any of the supported devices (no special hardware resources have been used). The only adjustments that might be required would be for the I/O allocations on different devices, and the clock speed of the target.

It is also possible to import your porgram into the PIC or ARM version of Flowcode (with the possible I/O and clock adjustment requirements already mentioned).

Flowcode for AVR can also import programs from the PIC and ARM versions. Most of the example programs on our website are written for the PIC16F877A. The ATmega32 can handle most of these programs with little or no modification (including programs using the more complex Flowcode components). So if any of these are useful to you, it should not be too difficult to make use of them.

cantronicx

Post by cantronicx »

I cannot get the AT90LS2343 working as is.... it says the AT90LS2343.FCD is missing or corrupt.

After carefully working between the at90ls2323 and the at90ls2343 I found many, many problems.
First thing I notices was the format of the file not consistant with all the other fcd files.
Other things were the inconsistant internal file conventions...
for example, the at90ls2343 has no ram size, no flash size, missing watchdog discription and the list goes on and on....

This is clearly an issue of no quality control and/or my version 4.3.6.61 is NOT the same as Matrix's version. Which brings to other fcd files I have also downloaded is giving the exact same errors as this one. Files like the AT90CAN32/64/128 of which I have also downloaded and having these same errors of which were questions sent to me to check if I downloaded correctly, placed those in the correct place and so on.

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sean »

Hello,

The AT90LS2343 is not officially supported by Flowcode. The only FCD file for this device was created for Flowcode V3 as the result of a customer request - it is not compatible with Flowcode V4.

If you have a V4 application for this device, we should be able to create the file for you.