HD44780 LCD

Forum for problems or queries regarding other Flowcode Components. Eg LEDs, Switches, LCD, Gfx LCD etc

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Ron

HD44780 LCD

Post by Ron »

Hi,

I have a question regarding the wiring for a HD44780 LCD.

Pin 5 - Ground (R/W pin set to Write mode)

Is this simply hardwired to ground?

Thanks

Ron

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: HD44780 LCD

Post by Benj »

Hello Ron

Yes we simply connect this to ground as it is uncommon that you will ever want to read data back from the LCD.

Ron

Post by Ron »

Hello,

Thank you....

MM has some of the best technical support I have ever experienced.

Keep up the great work...

Thanks

Ron

Andy L

Post by Andy L »

I am a newbie to this site and to Flowcode, but I wanted to point out something regarding the R/W pin on the LCD modules.
I agree that in most cases, you can just ground the pin and write delays to accomodate the time needed by the LCD display to perform whatever it is that you wanted, however this createds a lot of wasted time during the program.
There are some situations that are better served by reading the LCD to determine if if is ready for new data. Your program could check the display occasionally, when the time was right to determine if the display was busy or not. If it wasn't busy, send the next command. If it was busy, come back later and check again.

I would like to see this capability included in Flowcode, as well as the provision for 8bit interfacing with LCD modules. ( I currently have an application using an LCD module wired for 8bit operation, and I cannot change the configuration.) I will have to write the code in assembly, unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks for the great program and forum. Keep up the great work. I can't wait for the next version.

Cheers,

Andy.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try to get it implemented on v4.