Not able to install serial component driver

Forum for problems or queries regarding other Flowcode Components. Eg LEDs, Switches, LCD, Gfx LCD etc

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Miguel Martin

Not able to install serial component driver

Post by Miguel Martin »

Hello there Matrix people,

I created a small program to test the functionality of a Serial USB component using an ECIO28. Made it with Flowcode 3.6.11.53 professional and registered version. ( menu help/about)
Compiled to C and to chip nicely, after pushing the reset button, the ECIO was programmmed OK.
The step were I got stuck was when installing the driver .inf file generated in the USB serial component properties window.
I tried to install it but the PC reports error 28, the system cannot find the specified file. SInce I was using a Laptop with Ms Windows Vista, tried another PC with XP installed, but got the same message.
Although FLowcode says in the menu help / about that it is registered, I remember I registered Flowcode when initially installed, but not after installing the USB pack. Instead of installing the USB pack I upgraded from version 3.4 to 3.6.11.53 with came with the USB pack already built.
SInce the compiler is generating the code for the USB serial component, I assume the USB pack is already registered.
May I register flowcode again?
Thank you.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Not able to install serial component driver

Post by Benj »

Hello

Are you running Vista in 32 or 64 bit?

The current versions of Flowcode come complete with the USB pack included. The USB pack is still worth downloading though as it contains all the Flowcode example files aswell as VB / Labview / Delphi interface examples etc.

You may need to generate the driver to your desktop or another accessable folder. You may also need to login to windows as an administrator to allow the driver to be installed. I have created a video on YouTube demoing the USB serial component. The audio isn't great im afraid but it may help to get you up and running.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/videos.php?vid=8

Miguel Martin

Post by Miguel Martin »

Hello Ben,

It's 32 bits, Vista Home Premium, Spanish edition.

I'm the unique user in this PC, my user has admin rigths.

When I attach the ECIO28 to the USB cable A-B and to an USB port in the PC, in the device manager appears as "unknown device".
Then, opening properties, I see in device status:

"the drivers for this device are not installed(code 28)
The system cannot find the specified file
To install the drivers for this device again, click in reinstall driver."

When I try to reinstall the driver, (the one generated in the USB serial component properties window), the OS says:

"Windows has detected a problem when installing the drivers for the device.
Windows found the driver for the device, but found an error when triying to install it
ldrtest (that's the name of the file .inf, so ldrtest.inf)
the system cannot find the specified file

If you know the provider of the device, try visitng its website to check if there exist available drivers"

I saw the demo video and, expect for the differences from XP to vista, I'm doing the same steps.
In fact I was following and article in Elektor (March 2009) ECIO40 and USB, with the same procedure.

I attach the .inf file.

Miguel Martin

Post by Miguel Martin »

The extension .inf is not alloved.

I rename .txt
ldrtest.txt
this is the .inf USB serial driver
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 456 times

Miguel Martin

Post by Miguel Martin »

Report from Ms.W Vista:

Producte Product
InstalaciΓ³n del software de controlador Driver Software intallation

Problema Problem
No se pudo instalar el software de controlador para el dispositivo. Was not possible to install the driver for the device

Data date
04/08/2009 20:37

Estat Status
No se n'ha informat Not reported

DescripciΓ³ Details
Windows encontrΓ³ un problema al instalar los controladores del dispositivo para su Dispositivo desconocido.

Windows encountered a problem when installing the drivers for the device for your unknown device

Signatura del problema Problem signature
Nom de la incidència del problema: PnPDriverInstallError
Arquitectura: x86
Error Win32: 00000002
Nombre de inf: ldr_test_1.inf
Hash de paquete de controladores: bcff8556e1403f3746a4a5fb47c34134c5813f37
Nombre de secciΓ³n DDInstall: DriverInstall
VersiΓ³n del sistema operativo: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Id. de configuraciΓ³n regional: 3082

Fitxers que ajuden a descriure el problema files that help describe the problem
DMIE13D.tmp.log.xml not found in the PC using search
oem26.inf

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

Ok I think I know what the problem is.

I will reply later with a modified version of the driver that Flowcode produces. This modified driver should work with XP, Vista and Win7 in both 32 and 64 bit environments.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

OK here is the updated driver file for the serial component that should work with Vista (fingers crossed). Well it works on my Win 7 64 machine anyway :mrgreen:

Check that the details at the bottom of the file are correct for your device and install. I had to restart my Win 7 system before it would recognise the file as not being accessed but I think this may be a Win 7 Beta thing.

Let me know how you get on anyway
Attachments
Updated 32 & 64 bit USB Serial driver.zip
(5.93 KiB) Downloaded 610 times

Miguel Martin

Updated driver installs OK

Post by Miguel Martin »

Hi Ben,

The updated driver installs OK.
Instead of modifiying VID, PID and device details in the driver, I removed the USB serial component and added it again in the flowchart, with default properties, what are the same as in the updated driver, and downloaded again to the ECIO. Install OK, now I can see a virtual serial COM port, and in Micterm I can see data coming from the ECIO.

Thank you.

Miguel MartΓ­n.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Thats great thanks for letting me know. :)

I will see If I can get the modified driver put into the serial component so the newer version of the driver is generated by default.