Great Excel Tool

Tips, Tricks and methods for programming, learn ways of making your programming life easier, and share your knowledge with others.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

daveb0360

Great Excel Tool

Post by daveb0360 »

Hi all,
If like me, you need to manipulate spreadsheets etc as part of your programming requirements, I can highly recommend an excel add-in called ASAP Utilities. http://www.asap-utilities.com/
It adds massive functionality to excel, particularly useful are it's concatenate function which is very useful for creating lookup tables. Highlight your column of numbers, choose 'merge row data'......select a separator character(s), voila! all your numbers are concatenated into the top cell. Simpler than the built in function.

Many other functions to streamline excel functionality.

Dave

dazz

Re: Great Excel Tool

Post by dazz »

HI Dave

I know your busy, any chance of a basic artical/tutorial on its use, which will be a great help to others

Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

daveb0360

Re: Great Excel Tool

Post by daveb0360 »

Hi Dazz,
Something I would love to do but I can't class myself as expert in all it's functionality.

In my business as and electronics engineer, I work constantly with customers' Bill of Materials which are often in excel.
Customers are repeatedly issuing BOM's with (example)
C1, 100nF 16V Capacitor
C2, 100nF 16V Capacitor
C3, 100nF 16V Capacitor
etc. etc.

when what I really want, is
C1,C2,C3,C........ 100nF 16V Capacitor

The 'Merge row data sorts this out in a jiffy by concatenating each of the row values into a single cell, with each value separated by any character.
This is the function I use most and is most related to creating lookup tables used in coding.

The addin has a myriad of other time saving features......far too many to go through here but all are geared to provide functions not native to excel or to improve/streamline excel functions without knowing the excel specific routines. In a way, it's a little bit like flowcode insomuch as it allows users to perform complex functions without knowing excel functionality (code) in depth.

I have used it for several years and found it to be faultless and constantly improving..........additionally, it is free for personal and educational use and low cost for commercial users.

A full list of functionality is here. http://www.asap-utilities.com/asap-util ... .php?lang=

Their site has videos etc on how to use the addin and although it slows excel loading a little, it doesn't slow down the core program.

Hope this helps........if you have specific requirements, let me know and I'll investigate for you.

Incidentally.....I have no affiliation with the program whatsoever....it's just something I am lost without.

Dave