MIAC Expansion modules.

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

thusharag
Flowcode v5 User

MIAC Expansion modules.

Post by thusharag »

Nice to here the launching of miac expansions as i was waiting for this date.
when im following the operating guide and the Flowcode V5, i was stucked with some quizes. So please make them cleared.
1. Can't we use CAN with MIAC System to communicate with an another CAN device (HMI)?
2. The Industrial Communication Module is not in the Flowcode V5.2
3. What is the protocols supports (such as MODbus RTU) for the serial expansion and the Industrial Communication modules ( RS232 and RS 485)
4. I checked how to send data via serial expansion. it shows one byte per one macro. then how can we send seperate channels? I hope there should be standard protocols to send the data.

Normally in my control designs i use CAN to communicae with HMIs. But if i use Miac expansions i will have to face above difficulies. So Please make me clear from above problems.

Thanks,

Thushara.
Thanks & Regards,
Thushara Goonathilake.

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Re: MIAC Expansion modules.

Post by LeighM »

Hello Thushara,

Thank you for your interest in the MIAC Expansion Modules.

These have been designed primarily to give expansion capabilities to MIAC without the need to understand or configure the CAN bus.
As a result of that, interfacing to other CAN devices on the bus is more difficult.
We have produced a detailed document that explains our configuration and use of CAN for the MIAC System, we will upload it to the MIAC Resources web page very soon (http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/miac.php).

I would be interested to know what the other (HMI) CAN device you want to communicate with.

Full MIAC Expansion Module support will be in the V5.3 release, which is due out in a few weeks.

As you discovered, the UART based components are at single character (or sometimes string) level only.
We do not at present implement any higher level protocols, but leave this to the user.

Best regards,
Leigh

petesmart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by petesmart »

Hi leigh..

do you thing there might be interest in gyro + accelerometer package...

this will support autonomous control, althought you may require ARM or dsPIC to support the advanced math?... could you include a dsPIC in the module with the Kalman filters and rate control aloghorithms

best regards

Pete
sorry about that Chief!

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hello Pete,

Thank you for your interest and suggestion for additional Expansion Modules.
It is something we can give consideration to.

Best regards,
Leigh

petesmart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by petesmart »

Just ordered the MIAC Advanced Module... Cant wait to get the SPI interface controlling the MCP 4200 series variable potentiometers from the MIAC!!!! And its got 2 10 bit DAC's and a RTC... talk about big boys toys!!!!! :mrgreen:

Leigh - is there any documentation out on the Advanced module, I have seen the ops and data sheets - anything specific to each individual module?

best regrds

Pete
sorry about that Chief!

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the order! Yes, we hope we are giving our customers plenty to play with :)

We don’t have any further individual information. Most information is contained in the Flowcode help files for Component Macros.
If you then have any specific questions regarding the use of your module, we can fill any gaps or produce notes for guidance.

Thanks and regards,
Leigh

thusharag
Flowcode v5 User

Post by thusharag »

Hello Leigh,

Im doing control systems for Hydro power plants. All are like Governing, Synchonizing, internal protections, transformer protections,temperature monitoring and protections are run through MIacs. and out of these human machine interfaces (touch screens to contro and monitor data) also need to be connected and currently doing via CANbus.
But with this CAN compatibility issue with MIAC systems i won't be able to use your expansion modules. And there are difficulties to use other communications also according to your reply. So please let me know is there any solution for this.

Regards,

thushara
Thanks & Regards,
Thushara Goonathilake.

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hello Thushara,

Thank you for your update. Sounds like you are doing exciting things with MIACs.

We intend to develop the MIAC System to be more easily integratable with existing or additional CAN devices and systems.
In the meantime this document should help you understand how we use the CAN bus and possibly enable you to communicate with our Expansion Modules.
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/resourc ... ations.pdf

Best regards,
Leigh

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hello Thushara,

I just thought I would update you about the changes we have made to the MIAC System in view of feedback we have received such as yours.
The MIAC System and Expansion Modules are now much more easily customised so as to be compatible with an existing CAN Bus system.

This applies to all currently shipping MIAC Expansion Modules and Flowcode Version 5.4

The simplified customisation instructions can be found here ..
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/resourc ... sation.pdf

Best regards,
Leigh

thusharag
Flowcode v5 User

Post by thusharag »

Thank you for your consideration.
Thanks & Regards,
Thushara Goonathilake.