RTC ?

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

acestu

RTC ?

Post by acestu »

Does the MIAC unit have a real time clock in it, or does it require a non interuptable power supply to safeguard against power interuptions ?

thanks
Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: RTC ?

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi
The MIAC its self does not have a RTC.
RTC funcionality can be added by using the Advanced addon module.
This has a button cell inside the case to keep the time when power is removed.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/product ... PHPSESSID=

Alternatively, I have the serial expansion module, and I have used my DS1307 RTC board by connecting it to the I2C ports on this module.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... hilit=+rtc
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

acestu

Post by acestu »

Thanks John,

Do you know if there are any plans to update the MIAC to have this functionality as it is a must really for professional commercial or industrial use, particularly where I am in the countryside as power cuts are a regular occurrence. A lot of my projects would involve replacing units and size matters, existing units all have small cell battery backup.

Thank you
Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hi,
The add-on modules giving the facility of using RTC with backup power but I think you are feeling a bit expensive. In that case you can make a cheaper CAN bus based RTC module to be connected to MIAC. As MIAC I feel developed mainly to give a feeling of PLC still using same FC, so it will need time to have complete support like commercial PLCs.
I am agreeing with you if SPI or I2C is kept free in MIAC design we could easily interface RTC with MIAC. But the problem is MIAC CAN is using hardware SPI..let's see what MM brings to us later on.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Enamul, you are right as usual, thanks for your input...

cheers
Acestu

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

You are welcome :)
Have you received your copy of flowcode v5? I will help you to make RTC add on module if you want. I need that for one project as well. I am currently using without MIAC but may need to move to MIAC obviously depends on client.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi Enamul, Brilliant, yes I have ordered it on cd but I have downloaded a copy also, I have had a look at it and there is a lot more on it isn't there, I look forward to getting some E-blocks and having a play with it, building the RTC would be great, If you let me know what I need I will get the parts ordered...

Thanks again
Acestu

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Great..Here is the link for RTC module which you need to buy..
http://proto-pic.co.uk/real-time-clock-module/
You need a CAN enabled PIC like PIC 18f458 or PIC 18f4580..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIC18F458-Mic ... 2548wt_758
also a MCP 2551 CAN transceiver IC..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MCP2551-E-P-T ... _556wt_699
That's it..Probably better to buy one LCD as well so that you will be able to see time and date in add on RTC module for debugging..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD44780-1602- ... 3347wt_932
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Acestu

If you order the RTC suggested by Enamul, you should be able to program it with the flowchart in my link. Its basically the same board as my homemade one.

As I dont work for Matrix Im not at liberty to comment on what they may have in the pipeline, but I would not suspect a new version on the MIAC is on the cards anytime soon. The modules are superb but if all you need is the RTC buying is as you point out a bit expensive.

Will be interested in following Enamul's idea for linking the RTC via the CAN Bus myself.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

acestu

Post by acestu »

Thanks John,

I have had a look at your article and will probably have a go at building both yours and Enamuls as I have ordered parts for both...

cheers
Acestu