MIAC 120 x 50 LCD

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Jay Dee

MIAC 120 x 50 LCD

Post by Jay Dee »

Hi,
The new generation MIACs use a 120x50 LCD. Since you will have already worked out routines for the MIAC this seems like a good option for other ECIO based projects.
Is this based around a generic controller much like the older LCD units were. Is the base display hardware hardwired to individual I/O or is it via a comms protocol like i2C/SPI ?
Cheers, J.

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Re: MIAC 120 x 50 LCD

Post by LeighM »

Hi,
The new MIAC display uses a GBG12864 display with a ST7920 controller in 8 bit parallel mode.
That's a good idea that we could consider making a component from the MIAC code.
It would need some work though, as for example we currently store the font data in the MIAC fcd.
Thanks
Leigh

Jay Dee

Re: MIAC 120 x 50 LCD

Post by Jay Dee »

Hi Leigh,
I currently have a 4x20 LCD and 12Key keypad both on I2C and plug these in as debugging tools for several projects.
I was just looking at doing a new generic unit based on the dsPIC ECIO and it seemed like an interesting alternative. However with the 8 pin parallel comms its a less attractive option since my debug connector would be take quite a few more pins.
That having been said the option to bolt this sort of LCD into certain projects would certainly still be of interest. Little graphs etc.. would be handy for customers. :)
Thanks, J.