Miac Combustion Fan tester.

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Miac Combustion Fan tester.

Post by medelec35 »

Tester was designed to test Torin Sifan combustion air fans found in some makes of boilers.
These fans are classed as EC and have two sockets. One low voltage and one mains.
Some fans send a taco pulse once every rev, and other fans send a pulse twice every rev.
This fan (Torin DSB 144-22) sends a pulse twice every rev.
When power is connected to Miac, there is an option for either once evey rev (F1) , or twice every rev (F2). Press F2.
After a short delay confirming which key was pressed, the main screen is dispalyed.
Either quick Press F1/F2 for duty of PWM to increase or decrease by 1. Or long press F1/F2 to rapidly increase/decrease PWM Duty.
When F1/F2 button is released, then Miac will produce duty that is displayed.
input I8 will monitor taco, then RPM and Frequency of fan is displayed. After a short time a snapshot of RPM is taken. If the RPM deviates by more than 150RPM, or taco is lost then number after E: will be incremented, until speed measured is the same as snapshot. To take another snapshot and reset Error counter at the same time, press Red key.
This test rig should be adaptable to other makes of fans which has a dc supply of approx 12-36V.
Miac Fan Tester.jpg
Miac Fan Tester.jpg (72.32 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Low Voltage Connections
Connect a 22V - 30V DC to supply (red wire) (if you use a lower voltage, taco will not be detected so Errors will count up and rpm & frequency will not be dispalyed.
Connect taco (blue wire) to I8 of Miac
Connect PWM (yellow wire) to A of Miac
Connect 0V (black wire) to 0V of Miac
I used a 5W single row molex minifit junior female housing to connect to fan plug.
Attachments
Miac Test Rig1 PWM OP + RPM Detection7.fcf
(20.76 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Martin