Temperature & Motor controller with MIAC

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Sufre Haji Muhamad
Flowcode V4 User

Temperature & Motor controller with MIAC

Post by Sufre Haji Muhamad »

Hi, I am new with MIAC and flowcode, is there any example on how to display temperature and at the same time to activate a motor?

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Temperature & Motor controller with MIAC

Post by medelec35 »

If you read down the Articles section, you will see several posts that contain MIAC and temperature.
E.g http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... =26&t=7919
and
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... =26&t=7735
With the top link Ben did post the excel sheet with thermistor LUT included + instructions, that would be useful to you.
Since it looks like its not for public release as its appearing in Elektor Mag, maybe you ask Ben for it to be pm to you?
Not sure if that is possible or not?

As for motor control, I have done some myself. Not yet used PID, But I am interested in learning about that myself.
Depends what type of motor your interested in controlling?
Servo, DC/EC, AC Etc.
I can't guarantee I can help, but can give it a try. Perhaps other members or more familiar with motor control who can assist you?
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

A while ago, I created a test rig for work.
I used a temperature sensor and derived a formula rather then a look up table to monitor and display and log temperatures and times at the point when unit under test switched on/off. This was not using a Miac (as I did not have one then) or any other external components (except for sensor), so it may or may not work since resolution of Miac is slightly different due to i/p circuitry.
Would you like me to dig it out for you to try?
Martin

Sufre Haji Muhamad
Flowcode V4 User

Hi medelec,
I am happy to have it and try for it. In a short time this week I will try to send you flowcode programme that you can have a look if there is any problem.

Thanks.

singhdeol

Post by singhdeol »

THX for the post

Sufre Haji Muhamad
Flowcode V4 User

Hi medelec,
I am still struggling with the MIAC, I want to test run a 12volt Dc motor using a Miac before I go deep using a temperature sensor..Can I directly connect the motor to the motor port without any external relay and fuse? If you have a diagram please show me..Thank you

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

It generally depends on the motor but for most 12 - 24V motors you should be able to connect it up between outputs A and B or between outputs C and D. No external circuitry should be required.

You then control the motor by using the Flowcode PWM component where idx 1 controls output A and idx 2 controls output C. You can then turn on or off outputs B or D to control the direction the motor will rotate and adjust the PWM duty cycle to control the motor speed.

Sufre Haji Muhamad
Flowcode V4 User

Hi, Benj
Thank you for the replied, but I am still confusing.
Does it means that two wires from motor are connected,for example, OV for -ve and A for +ve? or -Ve from motor to A and +ve to B. If possible can you provide me simple diagram that i can follow it easily. I am happy if you have sample flow code to run this motor.

Thank you

Kind Regards
Sufre

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The motor connects between A and B.

Or the motor connects between C and D.

Or you can have two motors. One between A and B and the other between C and D.

If you connect one side of the motor to ground then the motor will only ever be able to rotate in one direction.

Sufre Haji Muhamad
Flowcode V4 User

Hi, Thank you Benj. It works as you explained. Now if I want to operate the Miac with a 12volt battery.
1- Can I connect the supplied voltage from the battery via the M connection for +Ve and the 0V for -Ve.
2- If so, what is the maximum current? From the manual it must be not more than 2A for the power adaptor, is there any different for the battery supply.
3- Can I use a battery with high ampere hours (AH) for example, a battery rated with 12V and 7.2Ah?

Thank you in advanced.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

In answer to your questions.

1) Yes you should connect the battery up as you suggested. If you are also powering the MIAC itself using the battery then you will also need to bridge a connection from the M terminal to the V+ terminal.

2) The MIAC is capable of supplying 2A to the motor. More then this will cause the drivers to go into thermal shutdown but should not damage anything.

3) The amp hour rating of a battery is basically how long it will run for on a full charge. For example a 7.2 amp hour battery will allow you to output 1amp of current for 7.2 hours before the charge is exhausted.