lcd display

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

brandonb

lcd display

Post by brandonb »

im looking for an lcd display that i can experiment with on the digikey website that would interface with the pic16f690 using the flowcode4 maco for lcd

fotios

Re: lcd display

Post by fotios »

brandonb wrote:im looking for an lcd display that i can experiment with on the digikey website that would interface with the pic16f690 using the flowcode4 maco for lcd
Hi Brandon
You can select among a variety of LCD displays. FlowCode can mange the following sizes:
1 line X 16 characters
2 " X 16 "
2 " X 20 "
2 " X 40 "
4 " X 16 "
4 " X 20 "
In most cases the type of 2 Lines X 16 Characters is used. The interface of LCD should be Parallel, it is visible on the picture of LCD module, it has a 16pin strip (don't worry about this, serial interface LCDs are rare). Take for example Digikey part: 67-1758-ND LCD display which is Backlight equiped (illuminated screen). This Digikey part: 67-1781-ND is less expensive, but without backlight.
I am looking how to solve the problem of double Port interrupt. Have you tried the last fcf that i posted yesterday?
Fotis
Best Regards FOTIS ANAGNOSTOU

brandonb

Post by brandonb »

hey thanks, im gonna place an order on a couple of those when i get some money in a few days- im gonna go with the backlit option, i've ordered so many chips from digikey over the last couple years doing weekend projects i should be getting a discount from them by now :D i tryed to find your thousand tactiles in one component(encoder)(i like your descrition better) on digikey but couldnt locate on their site, is that a specialty component

fotios

Post by fotios »

I did reference to rotary encoder, having in mind that you will use the program to control the injectors of a car engine thru a potentiometer like this rotated by the car accelerator pedal. Martin later, rightly suggested you the use of a gray scale rotary encoder (he gave you and the digikey part number). That is, both of us we thought that control should be done through a rotating part. You should know that a rotary encoder could easily simulates a rotary potentiometer function through an appropriate program. Martin - who is much more experienced than me and one of my two mentors on this forum - could do this very easy, the same I but with much more difficulty. But finaly proved that you want to use the project for testing injectors on workbench. In this case, I think that the use of the two tactile switches is most suitable than encoder. Moreover, encoders e.g. quadrature type contain two switches and so their function is similar with this of 2 tactile switches. Think a bit please and you can understand that with two switches you could select not only 1,000 different values but and 1,000,000 if you want that. Switches or encoder does not determine the size of numerical value; that is determined by the maximum value that we give in the variable Counter. A variable of one byte size, is allways stored into a register of microcontroller and can take 256 different values. There are programming ways, to use e.g. 5 registers to store a variable that will can takes 1,048,576 different values.
Fotis
Best Regards FOTIS ANAGNOSTOU

brandonb

lcd backlighting resistor

Post by brandonb »

for the lcd display digikey #67-1758-ND--> i was messing with resistance values and it appears that the main value to look at is that the voltage at pin #15 doesnt go above 4.6volts, is this correct? i like the backlighting at 4.1-4.3 volts at pin 15, i simply adjust the voltage with a lm317 (variable voltage regulator) leaving out the resistor until the pin voltage is in the range between 4.2-4.5 is this a safe way of doing it? i had it adjusted to 4.2 and let it run for an hour with out a resistor and all is well :?: actually just putting a 1n4004 diodes in series with the 5volt supply going to the lcd would set it up with 4.2volts