Old progs w/1602 display running correctly,

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

E*2Engineer

Old progs w/1602 display running correctly,

Post by E*2Engineer »

New programs will run everything except the 1602 display.
I'm lost.
It is the same whether I use the Matrix PPP software/hardware programmer system, or the QL200
board and it's associated software. The results after programming with either leave the display blank.
Attached are a program that works with either system, and 1 that works with neither system.
Any help would be much appreciated. (and thanks to those who have already made suggestions)
I have checked the setup on both programs, with recommended configurations.
E.G. LVP, BOD, off Etc. Also I am running at 19.660800Mhz and am selecting HS during programming, not that that should matter,
as it works with older programs. (I took a break from PIC programming for a while , and upon restarting this problem occurred)
I am currently running Ver4.5, but it did the same with Ver4.0
Thanks,
E*2Engineer
Attachments
CLOCK NON SETTABLE_GOOD PROG 1 14 14.fcf
Program works with either Matrix or QL200 programming systems.
(9 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
SECOND TIMER W LCD DISPLAY FAILS.fcf
Program fails with either Matrix or QL200 programming systems.
(5.5 KiB) Downloaded 567 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Old progs w/1602 display running correctly,

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Craig,
When I had a look at your flowcharts with FC4, none of the configuration settings are set.
Yet at least one was for your hardware to work.
Can you post both hex files that you used so I can have a look at them.
Also the connections are different on both flowcahrts, what if you changed the connections of the flwochart which does not work.
Does hardware work then?

If so assuming configurations correct, it could be that the hardware uses connections for something else?
I will look more at this when I get a chance.

Martin.
Martin

E*2Engineer

Post by E*2Engineer »

Martin,
I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding due to lack of info on my part.
I have been using the QL200 system for my primary programmer. I brought out the Matrix system when I ran into this issue. With the same results.
As the .JPG shows, I have the "use external program to set configuration options" box checked, under Chip\Configuration options, in the Matrix software.
So I set all configurations before programming, using the QL200 programming software. And this does work on the older programs(a few months old), but not the newer ones(written within the last week or two).

Previously it had programmed the entire system including the LCD. Once I ran into the LCD not working on the current programs, I brought out the Matrix system and had the same results, I could program the LEDS on the A, B, & C, ports to toggle on & off consecutively with both systems, but the LCD would not function with the programs I had written just recently.

I have tried setting the configuration bits,(fuses), using the Matrix (PPP software) when using the Matrix hardware for programming with the same results.
If you need anything more than the information attached, let me know.
Thank You,
-Craig
Attachments
SECOND TIMER W LCD DISPLAY FAILS.hex
This fails with the LCD with either system. All other functions I see are OK.
(3.48 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
CLOCK NON SETTABLE_GOOD PROG 1 14 14.hex
This works the LCD with either system.
(45.45 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
SECOND TIMER W LCD DISPLAY FAILS.jpg
Shows how I have been configuring Matrix software before compiling all along.
I then use the Fuse bits in the QL200 system to program. I can read or write to any location/s using this system.
(275.96 KiB) Downloaded 4701 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Craig,
Just had a look at both your hex files and only one of them contains correct configuration settings.

The hex file called SECOND TIMER W LCD DISPLAY FAILS.hex did not have any fuses set.
Therefore WDT was enabled etc.
I have added config settings for you to try

Martin
Attachments
SECOND TIMER W LCD DISPLAY FAILS with config.hex
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 538 times
Martin

E*2Engineer

Post by E*2Engineer »

Hi Martin,
I tried the .hex program you altered.
I got the same results, with the leds on the buss', I can see the PIC is running, and there is one line flashing at the correct
speed showing the program seems to be running correctly,
but the display is still blank. Just for the heck of it, I have attached the fuse setting I use
for both the programs that are working, and of course the ones that aren't as well.

I also just tried programming the system the same way with one of my older clock programs, and the display is working.
Same programmer settings. The only thing it's not doing correctly is starting at 00:00:00, even when I shut down or just hit the reset button.
It is also running to fast, I don't know if any of that is related to the display not working. I'll attach the file that gets the display to run, just in case it might help.
Could this have something to do with the OSC CAL value being corrupted? It's highly likley that value has been changed. But from what I understand that is only for using the internal clock, correct?
Thanks,
-Craig
Attachments
CLOCK NON SETTABLE_GOOD PROG 1 14 14.hex
(45.45 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
QL200 PROGRAMMER FUSE SETTINGS.jpg
QL200 PROGRAMMER FUSE SETTINGS.jpg (33.95 KiB) Viewed 12762 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Craig,
I just loaded SECOND TIMER W LCD DISPLAY FAILS with config.hex into mloader, andsent it to EB006 V9 with LCD plugged into port B (Data1 = RB0, data2=RB1, data3 = RB2, data4 = RB3, RS = RB4, & Enable = RB5) and LCD is working fine for me.
E*2Engineer wrote:The only thing it's not doing correctly is starting at 00:00:00, even when I shut down or just hit the reset button.
That is because you will need to initialise count variable with 0
So at the start of main, place a calculation box with count=0.
E*2Engineer wrote:Could this have something to do with the OSC CAL value being corrupted?
No, since as you stated its for internal clock only and 16F877a does not have an internal clock.
Martin