V 3.xx and V4.2

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

Henk

V 3.xx and V4.2

Post by Henk »

Gentlemen,

I am well pleased Flow Code V4.2.
But if I want to load programs with V4.2 I have great problems with the macros.
Many of the macros do not work and I need to export them first and then import then it just right.
That can not be what I hope.

Greetings Henk.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: V 3.xx and V4.2

Post by Steve »

V2 programs will load automatically in V3, but they will fail in V4. Is this the problem?

Henk

Post by Henk »

Yes, I really can not.
Programs that have been made in V3.xx in V4.2 must be read normally.

Henk

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Henk

If you have a program that was 100% positivly created in V3 that also does not work or import correctly with v4 then please can you send it to us for testing.

Henk

Post by Henk »

Hello,

I have created this program with V3.xx I want to load this programm with V4.2 I get an error immediately.
Flow V4.2 Code says>
Connection and properties for the following components are failed to load : LedSeg4.
The following macro wil be ignored because is no longer used ADC0:: sample ADC.

I don't no why!

Henk.
Attachments
Henko_5f5.fcf
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 250 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

To solve the errors are simple.
Re-'The following macro will be ignored because is no longer used ADC0:: sample ADC'. This is because in V3 you need to sample the ADC first. In V4 you don't. So error message is just telling you, Sample ADC is no longer necessary for Flowcode to work OK so it is going to ignore that. You can just delete Sample ADC in V4.
Re- Connection and properties for the following components are failed to load : LedSeg4. All that means is LED segment is not connected to any ports. Just right click on the LED segment (on panel) select connections, and connect to correct ports and bits.

You do have a point. Although you can easily get Flowcode V4 to work, it would be better if 1, Sample ADC is auto removed, and 2, connections of ports are retained.
Martin

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Medelec's answer is correct, thanks for this.

The reason the "SampleADC" is retained in the code is because there are situations where you might want to sample the ADC at a different point to actually reading the return value, although I think this would be very rare. Leaving these macro calls in will be no problem at all because they are simply ignored by Flowcode.

The 7 segment components were totally re-written in V4, and the new V4 components are unable to "understand" the saved information for the V3 components - hence the need to redefine the pins and properties.

We do pay a lot of attention to ensure that V3 programs will load under V4 without problems. Unfortunately, these two issues are (I think) the only issues that we could not resolve - so I think we actually did ok!

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

steve wrote:We do pay a lot of attention to ensure that V3 programs will load under V4 without problems. Unfortunately, these two issues are (I think) the only issues that we could not resolve - so I think we actually did ok!
I do agree about doing ok. There must be a lot of obstacles to overcome when trying to achieve backward compatibility. I would be happy with assigning pins when LED segment is displayed. I don't leave the Sample ADC, only because of window space, i.e whats the point of having it, if its redundant. But as you say it can be left and totally ignored.
So since matters can't be resolved and to be honest is no big deal at all, overall the conversion to from V3 to V4 gets a big thumbs up from me!
Martin