RS232 Coms

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

trisb
Flowcode V4 User

RS232 Coms

Post by trisb »

HI all,

I am working on a project, where I need to communicate between 4 to 8 Pics, each pic on the board, will be given a Byte value and will only run a command if this byte value is seen first, this will be done either via a Master Microchip controller or a PC,

I plan on linking up all the boards to a common point, so I can either plug in a master controller or a PC connection.
Each board will be about a inch max away form each other.
I am trying to reduce cost as much as I can, but need it to be stable as this will be used in a industrial App.,

My Questions are:
Will I need to have a MAX232 or similar on each boards and link these to a common input connection?
or can I get away with just one MAX232 on the common input connection and then link each board to this?

any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Tristan

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: RS232 Coms

Post by Steve »

RS232 is a point-to-point protocol and can only be used to link one device to another. If you have many chips that you need to interconnect, you will need to use a different protocol.

Presuming you have a single "master" node, you can use I2C or SPI.

trisb
Flowcode V4 User

Re: RS232 Coms.... Now RS485!!!

Post by trisb »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.
I did not know this at first, but now I have done a bit of research... and with your reply.
I have now changed this and I will now be using RS485.

I do have a few questions about using RS485, some of witch I have found the answers by look through the site.

however can any one recommend some software to use to for communicating with RS485 devices?
my ideal interface software would be a windows based program. but i have no clue on how to go about making such a program to control 2 and up to 12 of the driver cards I am working on.

any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tristan