Learning about Stepper Motors

Got any questions or comments on any of our other products, such as Mathematics or Geography, then this is to forum for you.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

econnections

Learning about Stepper Motors

Post by econnections »

Hi,

Do you have any products that teach people about the stepper motor and how to use then to build xy and xyz linear positioning systems.

It would be great if this was extended to include cnc and there was a kit that would allow a user to mount and position a dremel drill for drilling pcb's.

This should be easy to do and the tutorial becomes a valuable tool.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Learning about Stepper Motors

Post by Benj »

Hello

There is a new stepper motor component as part of Flowcode V3.6.11 that allows for a few different types of Stepper motors to be driven.

I made my XYZ CNC machine with the aid of the video tutorials available from here,

http://www.buildyourcnc.com

Not sure about easy, mine took over a year to get right but it certainly is possible. My CNC controller is based on the Microchip USB examples but the Flowcode USBserial component would work just as well. I generate the G code files from CAD / image files by using a program called LazyCam. The G code files are then passed into Labview where I have written a G code parser and simulation tool. The parser then works out the next valid step and sends the commands over the USB to the machine. You could always skip this step and use Mach3 and the parrallel port like is shown in the buildyourcnc website if you have a parrallel port available onboard your motherboard.

I have spare CNC driver circuit boards if you wish to purchase one from me complete with the Labview and embedded software.

shayanjameel08

Re: Learning about Stepper Motors

Post by shayanjameel08 »

Well stepper motors fall somewhere in between a regular DC motor and a servo motor. They have the advantage that they can be positioned accurately, moved forward or backwards one 'step' at a time, but they can also rotate continuously.