FLOWCODE flow chart icon labels

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

Chet

FLOWCODE flow chart icon labels

Post by Chet »

First, I just want to say V5 is working great. I compiled a V4 file with V5 and it worked fine. I would like to know if there is an option to move the icon labels onto the icons instead of above the icons. It would save a lot of space. Cheers

JonnyW

Re: FLOWCODE flow chart icon labels

Post by JonnyW »

Hi. The descriptions are above the icons as they were in v4, and will not display inside the icons.

The annotations at the side of the icons can be put in the icon in Menu->View->Global Options and select the Annotations tab. Show text inside icons and show annotations are the options. The descriptions can be hidden here too.

Annotations can be shown or hidden per icon. To hide an annotation, either right click on an icon and select Annotations->Show, or select the bottom corner of the annotation and drag it left and up until the annotation disappears. To re-show the annotation, select Annotation->Show again.

Alternatively you can select a different flowchart graphics mode in Menu->View->Global Options and in the Flowchart tab, Icon graphics style. The Window boxes style is quite compact.

Cheers,

Jonny

Chet

Post by Chet »

Can you guys consider implementing icon lables inside icons. If you do a google image search for "flowchart" you'll find 5,040,000 examples of the way a typical flowchart looks. I think every one of them has the text in the icon. :wink: Or is it possible for me to edit the icons on my machine? Cheers

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Chet wrote: you'll find 5,040,000 examples of the way a typical flowchart looks. I think every one of them has the text in the icon. :wink: Or is it possible for me to edit the icons on my machine? Cheers
Yes that is true but to see all the text inside an icon especially with long variable names and calculation could make flowchart humongous.
You can change the preferences so text is only on the inside and not the outside.
A similar request was answered here:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 512#p31512

Martin
Martin

Chet

Post by Chet »

medelec35 wrote:
Chet wrote: you'll find 5,040,000 examples of the way a typical flowchart looks. I think every one of them has the text in the icon. :wink: Or is it possible for me to edit the icons on my machine? Cheers
Yes that is true but to see all the text inside an icon especially with long variable names and calculation could make flowchart humongous.
You can change the preferences so text is only on the inside and not the outside.
A similar request was answered here:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 512#p31512

Martin
Thanks for the feedback but I'm not interested in variable names or anything else. Just the Icon labels. If you open a new Flowcode file you'll see the "Begin" and "End" icons are a perfect example of all I'm asking for. I'd be happy to edit them myself if I could get pointed in the right direction. Not the end of the world if it's not doable as I've been using Flowcode from the beginning (V1) and this just jumped out at me as something worth noting.

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hello. I hope this is what you want.

Note this is very unofficial, but this file will provide you with a new graphics scheme called 'Description in icons'. You can also hide the descriptions above the icons in Global settings, getting what you want.

Unzip this file to your v5/GFX directory so the XML is with all the others, then open global options and select the scheme.
descinicons.zip
Belongs in v5/GFX directory
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Note, as this is unofficial I can not guarantee much support for this, but it is just a text-based XML file so feel free to have a play and alter it how you wish. The worst that will happen is the graphics will not display properly (I hope!)
example.png
Example
(12 KiB) Downloaded 4623 times
Cheers,

Jonny

Chet

Post by Chet »

I can't thank you enough for this! I was just hoping for a future update. I'll check this out when I get a moment, but won't be till late this evening. Now that's customer support. Cheers

Chet

Post by Chet »

Thank you Jonny, works great! I hope others may find this helpful. It took a bit of trial and error to get the right combination of global settings but I got it. At this point I only have to edit the connection point "Display name" to reflect the "label data". :D