FLOWCODE V2 have EEPROM COMPONENT?

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

vincentang65

FLOWCODE V2 have EEPROM COMPONENT?

Post by vincentang65 »

Hi,
I am student and i am using flowcode v2 to do my project.
Is Flowcode V2 has EEPROM? Can I upgrade FLOWCODE V2 to V3 without any pay?
From vincent

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: FLOWCODE V2 have EEPROM COMPONENT?

Post by Benj »

Hello Vincent

Yes Flowcode V2 has an EEPROM component. However not all PICmicro devices have the onboard EEPROM.

As far as I know you can upgrade Flowcode V2 to V3 for 60% of the cost. However you would have to talk to our sales department to confirm this.

vincentang65

Post by vincentang65 »

:)
Thank you Benj.

But i don't know how to use EEPROM component in FLOWCODE V2.
I am using PIC16f874 chip.

Thanks again!

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

Basically the EEPROM is fairly straightforward. First add the EEPROM into your program and then add a macro icon to your program.

Using the macro icon properties select the EEPROM component and then select write.

Use the parameters 0, 50 This will store the value 50 into location 0 of the EEPROM.

Similarily with a read macro function call you simply have to provide an address eg 0. The return value is the result stored in the EEPROM so you must provide a variable here to store the result.

All fixed values shown above can be replaced by variables.

echase

Post by echase »

1) My code is reaching the limit of the ROM space (>90%). If I add the EEPROM component to store 30 variables does this stored data gobble up ROM space or is the EEPROM a separate area of memory? If it’s separate what is it normally used for if not for the actual programme or this EEPROM component?

Mine is a 16F886.

This below is not from my chip but where does EEPROM space fit in this list of memory?

Memory Usage Report
===================
RAM available:368 bytes, used:126 bytes (34.3%), free:242 bytes (65.7%),
Heap size:242 bytes, Heap max single alloc:95 bytes
ROM available:8192 words, used:2468 words (30.2%), free:5724 words (69.8%)

2) I assume I set the EEPROM size to 32 (a little more than what I use) rather than whatever maximum the 886 allows.

3) I also assume it’s still true that the EPROM can not store integers except by splitting the data.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

echase wrote:1) My code is reaching the limit of the ROM space (>90%). If I add the EEPROM component to store 30 variables does this stored data gobble up ROM space or is the EEPROM a separate area of memory?
It's a totally separate area of memory. However, the functions Flowcode uses to access the EEPROM memory will need to be stored in the program memory. Also, it is a good idea to use EEPROM memory sparingly - it usually "wears out" before other types of memory.
echase wrote:If it’s separate what is it normally used for if not for the actual programme or this EEPROM component?
EEPROM data is retained even when the power is switched off. It is generally used to store user or factory settings. I suppose it is not as important as it once was, because now you can use Flash memory to store data between power cycles. But before flash, when program memory was written once only, EEPROM was the only option for saving data.
echase wrote:Mine is a 16F886.

This below is not from my chip but where does EEPROM space fit in this list of memory?

Memory Usage Report
===================
RAM available:368 bytes, used:126 bytes (34.3%), free:242 bytes (65.7%),
Heap size:242 bytes, Heap max single alloc:95 bytes
ROM available:8192 words, used:2468 words (30.2%), free:5724 words (69.8%)
It is not listed here.
echase wrote:2) I assume I set the EEPROM size to 32 (a little more than what I use) rather than whatever maximum the 886 allows.
You do not need to set the EEPROM size (you should not be able to change it normally).
echase wrote:3) I also assume it’s still true that the EPROM can not store integers except by splitting the data.
This is correct.