Unexepted file format ??????????????????

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

ksor

Unexepted file format ??????????????????

Post by ksor »

What ????????????????

When I open my newly finished project, I get this message:

Unexpected file format !

Is there a way to recover the file ?

I just ordered FlowCode 4, so I hope i's NOT a problem that often appears in FlowCode - what is your experience ?
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Unexepted file format ??????????????????

Post by Benj »

Hello

Please post up the file onto the forums and I will take a look for you and let you know. This is not a problem we are currently aware of and v3 of Flowcode has been out in the field for several years now.

ksor

Post by ksor »

Hi Benj

I use the demo-version 4.2.3.58 under W7
Attachments
TachoMeter_02X.fcf
Unexpected file format !
(16.52 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

The file has been chopped off towards the end and there are around 6 variables missing from the file. I have managed to recover it, but only 4 variables are there - so the file will not work as it is. But at least it loads.

I don't know why this would have happened, and I do not recall seeing this problem with any version of Flowcode before.

You should have some backup copies of this file stored on your PC that might be better. These will have the same root name as yoru file, but will have different extensions.
Attachments
t2b.fcf
(17.07 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

ksor

Post by ksor »

Hi Steve

I tried to rename the file with the extra "001" in the extension but it had the same problem !

Fortunately I work with numbered versions og my projects - so I could relatively easy recover from my own backup - I just want to know if it was a know problem with FlowCode that it sometimes ends up with "unexpected file formats" - but it don't - you say.

I have ordered a FlowCode 4 by Matrix - so I'm waiting to get rid of the DEMO-version so I could work without the restrictions - only 4 macros each with only 12 objects.

What are the limits in the Student/Home version when we talk about macros and objects per macro ?

Are the any other restrictions (I already know of the size of the hex-code) ?
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

ksor

Post by ksor »

Hi Steve

Try to see my topic

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... f=5&t=7146

about FlowCode changing my files after some minutes - maybe this "changing" is the source of "the truncation" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

I don't know if this will help, but I had a flowcode that did not open and did not have a backup automatically created. That was caused when I modified flowchart, then compiled to hex, before changing savings. as soon as I clicked on compile, operating system crashed, so that's why there was not a proper save. I believe problem was my dodgy (as in unstable not stolen :lol: ) laptop and not the fault of flowcode. Was there any errors or crashes whist you compiled, or saving your flowchart? If I am creating a fairly large flowchart, as a precaution, I usually name it something relevant, then have a revision number at the end. I then send the flowcode to a free web based email, like yahoo or hotmail. That way if hard drive, flash stick or what ever medium flowchart is stored on gets corrupt, you can download the last flowchart via email.
Martin

ksor

Post by ksor »

I don't recall there should have been any crashes in during the saving process
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Ksor

The missing end of your file and the othe problem you have posted up about files changing while Flowcode is closed suggest there is something wrong with either your hard disk drive or the software controlling it. Have you run a check disk on the drive to see if it is ok?

ksor

Post by ksor »

NO - I beleave the DEMO-version changes the files AND in this case it was in some way interrupted while doing the changes !
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hi Ksor,

We have thousands of users of Flowcode, and I have not heard of this problem before. This makes me want to agree with Ben that there is something about your PC that is causing this issue.

If you can find a way of replicating this problem, then please post exact steps here and we'll investigate.

ksor

Post by ksor »

I HOPE you'r right - because I ordered FlowCode V4 and waiting for it to arrive !

No doubt you have 1000's of users BUT I don't think you have 1000's of users forcing the DEMO-version beyond the demo restrictions !!!!

But please notice - I'm using the DEMO-version and forcing it beyond it's limits concerning demo-restrictions !!!!
(because your sales department didn't send me my product key !!!!!)

I set up the replication procedure - that I have found tilts it all - in an other thread, but I'll repeat it here:

1) Make a project (within the restriction limits) and save it
2) Add more objects beyond the demo-limits in more of the macros - save it
3) ASAP exit FlowCode
4) Start FlowCode again and load your project - all objects are there - ALSO the objects beyond the "demo-limits"
5) exit FlowCode and do something else for 5-10 min
6) Start FlowCode and load your project again - now the objects beyond the demo-limits disappeared - you are back to the state saved in 1) !!!!!!!!!!!!

And I have done this ... I think 7-8 times now !

You can work around it doing this procedure:

4a) Delete ALL project related files EXCEPT the project file itself
6a) Start FlowCode and load your project again - now ALL objects are present !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure MY demo-version 4.2.3.58 on MY machine works this way - no matter WHAT you'r saying and I'm SURE ALL test of the drive, test for virus/malware says NOTHING is wrong.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Ok. If you are circumnavigating the restictions in the demo version, then I am not at all surprised that you are having problems. When you receive the full product, I hope all of these problems will disappear.

ksor

Post by ksor »

Orh ... give me a break ... I told you from the start that I maybe was using the demo beyond the restrictions !

But I hear you say I was right - why then all this non sense talking about problems with my machine ?

Next time, don't say there is something wrong with a potential users machine ... tell the truth - that the demo is making troubles when you press it too hard !
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

ksor wrote:Orh ... give me a break ... I told you from the start that I maybe was using the demo beyond the restrictions !
I've re-read this thread and I cannot see where you have said that you are deliberately circumnavigating the restrictions the Flowcode demo.

On a personal front, I'm disappointed that our efforts to help you have not been appreciated. I spent my dinner break last week investigating your file and reconstituting it in a hex editor. Ok, I don't expect "thanks" - this is my job (even if I take my personal time to do it). But I do feel I deserve at least a small amount of respect.
ksor wrote:Next time, don't say there is something wrong with a potential users machine ... tell the truth - that the demo is making troubles when you press it too hard !
I'd just like to reiterate what I said before. Now that I have found out that you are circumnavigating the restrictions in the demo version, then I am not at all surprised that you are having these problems. If I had realised this in the first place, it would have saved myself and other forum users a lot of wasted time.

ksor

Post by ksor »

It was NOT my intention to dis-respect you or your coleges - and I'm sorry if you see it this way !

You'r right - my "problem" is spread over severel threads where SOME of them does not point out the conditions (including this one) but in other threads I time after time pointed out that I was using the DEMO-version and that I maybe worked beyond the demo-version-restriction-limits !

BUT ... let's not waste MORE time looking back :) - I'll just uninstall my demo-version and wait for the "real" version 4 to arrive.

Now you realised the conditions (="I have a project created under demo-version and maybe beyond the restrictions)

Should I then start all over OR can I use the "old" project in the "real" version 4 ?
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

ksor wrote:Should I then start all over OR can I use the "old" project in the "real" version 4 ?
I really don't know the answer to this because I have not tried doing what you have done. You can try if you like.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

This problem has been resolved here.

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 693#p17693