PIC16F1827 FCD FILE

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Bobw

PIC16F1827 FCD FILE

Post by Bobw »

I just got my hands on the Flowcode 4.0 Demo, Since I can not post into that forum I guess I will ask here.
Is there a place to download newer FCD files?
I am new to pic programming and first tried copying and renaming one of the files but it did not show up in the list. Not to mention that I would have little clue in how to build it for my PIC. I am just trying to build a simple program to start that will display text on a LCD in 4 bit mode.

Bob

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: PIC16F1827 FCD FILE

Post by medelec35 »

Hiya Bob.
Found this on a website about the demo version:
The Free PICmicro Flowcode V4 demo version is code size limited to 2KB of compiled and assembled code (4k for PIC18 series). This well featured version allows you to verify that Flowcode will provide the functions you need and is also suitable for use with hardware devices like the Formula Flowcode robot and ECIO. This is a fully working version of Flowcode that has some limitations. The PIC Flowcode demo version will produce hex code for only the following: 16F628A, 16F690, 16F88, 16F84A, 16F877, 18F2220, 18F4431, Formula Flowcode, and ECIO. The free version is limited to around 50 usable icons.
also includes MIAC
So adding more devices I don't believe will work
If you want to see all the supported devices of a registered copy have a look at this:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/datashe ... 4-60-6.pdf

So what you could do is create a flowchart using one of the demo supported devices, and if you get stuck there will be assistance available to help you. Ask as may questions as you like, that is what's support on here is for.

There are numerous examples about the forum, and if there is a flowchart you are interested in learning from, then paste a link in this thread I will download and convert it to one of your supported devices.
The latest demo is V4.3.9.65.
To be honest, Flowcode is the fastest way I have ever known to program a chip starting form a blank sheet, so worth sticking at.
I have seen tutorials on youtube, and you can also visit:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/Flowcode3a-X.php for more tutorials.
Hope this helps you to get started.
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Here is a simple LCD demo with numbers counting up and down simultaneously.
I have added comments on the flowchart to help. You can follow the icons step by step by pressing F8 key.
Before sending to a chip, the most important things are
1) Check configuration settings ('Chip', 'Configure...' then select 'Switch To Expert Config Screen')
and 2) Check target oscillator speed is correct ('View', 'Project Options')
Take a look here as well:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... =26&t=6936
Bobw wrote:I just got my hands on the Flowcode 4.0 Demo,
Latest demo can be found here:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/Flowcode3a-X.php
You will need to fill in your name and email to gain access to downloads including latest V4 demo
If you do register flowcode, If i remember correctly you will need to set flowcode up to use Hi-tec compiler if using 16F1827.
See:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... =26&t=6812
Attachments
LCD Demo.fcf
(12 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Martin

Bobw

Post by Bobw »

I appreciate the reply's and help.

Programming a PIC is all new to me. The Flow-code looks like it would take some of the hassle of programming the final project. Eventually this will be a antenna rotor control. With 2 Quad rotary encoders, 2 outputs to relays, 3 input switches on one pin, and the LCD. While I do not mind paying for a programming product. Would be nice to fully check it out before I do. May have to rethink the PIC I am going to use.
(I have MPLAB and a PICKIT3, while I am sure it is a great program, IT is not the best in my mind for a beginner).

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Bobw wrote:(I have MPLAB and a PICKIT3, while I am sure it is a great program, IT is not the best in my mind for a beginner).
You can use PICkit 3 with flowcode to program your device. See:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/support ... f=22&t=565
Dragging icons to a flowchart, then sending to target is so much easier than learning C or assembly. (its the next level down to "hey you, create a program and program a chip for me! :lol: )
I believe the best way for you would be to get a chip that's supported by the demo, set flowcode up to program PICkit3 programmer.
Then use a solderless breadboard, or construction method of your choice and build a simple circuit. Look at pickit3 instructions on using ICSP since thats how programmer is connected to your circuit.
Create flowchart, send to target.
Now you have had a look at the flowchart for LCD, If you need step by step how I created flowchart i.e dragging required components,
then let me know, and I will create it for you.
Martin

Bobw

Post by Bobw »

I have figured out how to use the PICKIT3 with the flowcode demo.
I have already built the basic circuit on perf board.
I was planning on doing things in steps.
1) Get the LCD to just display some text.
2) Get the LCD to display which one of the 3 push buttons was pressed. (Stop, Go, Zero)
3) Get the LCD to display the number +- of pulses from the encoder.
4) Use a calculation to display degrees of rotation and not just pulse count. (320 pulses= 1degree of movement)
5) Make it control the motor so that the user supplied (Via second encoder)degrees of rotation will be matched.
6) Put it all in a pretty housing.

Am checking around for pricing on flowcode.

Bob

PS: I like the LCD demo

Spanish_dude

Post by Spanish_dude »

For step 2, you could try by polling the inputs where you connected the buttons, or try the portb interrupt (or something like that).

That will do the trick ;)

Rgds,

Nicolas L. F.

Bobw

Post by Bobw »

The switches are going in on RA4 so far. Haven't physically hooked them up yet. Plan is to use a pull down on the pin and use 3 different value resistors for an analog input. I also have RB6 and RB7 as left over pins so I may just hook one switch to each pin. Can keep it all digital that way. It is a work in progress.

Bobw

Post by Bobw »

I decided to go get a couple of the 16F88 chips. ($2.60 at Allied) They are pin comparable with the 16F1827 and what I have perf boarded up so far. Will give me something that is usable with the demo version of flowcode to play with. It may even be fast enough to use for this project. I have been reading some of the other post dealing with Quad rotary encoders (this one is from a mouse) I think I have my work cut out for me.

Bobw

Post by Bobw »

My 16F88 PICs arrived today. I managed to load in the sample LCD program as suggested by medelec35.
While the program did compile and load, It runs VERY VERY slow. (one minute for the first line to appear on the LCD)
The count up and down is very erratic. Anything I can do to speed it up?

Bobw

Post by Bobw »

Ok solved my own problem. Using the Oscillator selection for internal and the speed as listed under VIEW, PROJECTS OPTIONS, does NOT properly set the internal oscillator. Had to use osccon = 0x70; at the beginning of the code.
Wish they gave you more than 16 Icons to use in the demo version. Just need one more.
Bob

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

I was going to say about the osc speed and see:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... =26&t=6936
But you beat me to it lol.
Glad you got it working.
Bobw wrote: Using the Oscillator selection for internal and the speed as listed under VIEW, PROJECTS OPTIONS, does NOT properly set the internal oscillator.
That never sets the oscillator, that only sets the correct timings for delays and any software routines that is critical in timing.
for external osc, you just select HS if xtal is 4MHz or above, or XT if below 4MHz. For internal osc you will need to set osccon as that register has to be set in some chips or osc will default to 32KHz
Some chips will allow you to set internal osc speed in Chip, configure, expert settings. What depends on these settings are determined by the chip its self and not flowcode.
Martin

Spanish_dude

Post by Spanish_dude »

Bobw wrote:Wish they gave you more than 16 Icons to use in the demo version. Just need one more.
Bob
You could use macros if you didn't use them ;).