Can Download but Not Install

Forum for Flowcode v6 beta users

Moderator: Benj

jethronull

Can Download but Not Install

Post by jethronull »

The initial installation dialogue, user agreement stuff starts but as soon as the installation proper starts a Windows error says something like "Error reading from file.... "Verify that the files exists and that you can access it. Tried downloading it again incase it was corrupt, but got the same result. Very excited about V6 BTW, looks very cool indeed!
Jon/JethroNull

JonnyW

Re: Can Download but Not Install

Post by JonnyW »

Hi. How big is the installer/ I forget, but I think it should be about 150Mb. I know there was an issue with the .exe and the .msi needed using instead. If your installer is smaller than expected then it may be that issue. I would try downloading again and see if there is any success with that.

Jonny

saschech@gmx.de

Post by saschech@gmx.de »

Hello

After big trouble with my acount and Password....I take a new one with success.

Only after I copy the install-file to c:\ ; I can install and Register v6 with success.

Regards Wolfgang

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi jethronull,
I just downloaded public beta (2 mins ago) and when clicked on download link, size of FlowcodeV6_Beta_Release_Setup.msi was showing 160Mb
When downloaded the full size is 164,350KB
What about trying with a different browser?
I used chrome to download.
Installed with no errors for me.

Martin
Martin

jethronull

Post by jethronull »

My download was 164,350KB which seems right from what everyone has said. And I used Chrome. But I tried Wolfgang's trick of moving the installer to the root, and that worked. Never had that happen before and I've a LOT of downloads all of which normal install from my download directory. So, not a corruption then but something odd in the install code - maybe a relative addressing problem with the installer? Anyway, just thought I'd update you so you can figure out if the problem is mine or yours. Now I have to get back to trying out this cool new version!

Jon
Jon/JethroNull

CarlH

Post by CarlH »

Sounds odd. We've not seen that problem at all during early releases. Can you let me know what OS+Service pack levels you are running, is it your own machine (therefore I'm assuming you have admin privs). Where were you running the installer from (did that directory have restricted privs on it i.e. read-only)

You can log it as a bug either on the bug page on forum but preferrably on the bug reporting page that is linked to your matrix account (we pull these into our bug tracking system automatically)

Thanks,
Carl.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Jon,

I had to manually open the downloads directory to run the installer because IE refused to start it due to it not having reputation information. Windows 7 complained asked the usual 'untrusted source are you sure' when I ran it as well.

Are you using a virus scanner that might cause this?

Regards,

Jac
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

jethronull

Post by jethronull »

Carl,

Added it as a bug report as requested. My install directory is also setup as a Google Drive so I suspect there is something about that which is odd. Though I have to say I have had many other apps downloaded and installed from there with no issue. If there is any other detail you could use or experiment to try, just let me know, happy to help.

Jac, no, had the same prob regardless of how the install was started and have full privileges, etc. I think an anti-virus issue would throw a different fault, but maybe. Still, no problem when installed from the root so doubtful it was anti-virus.

Jon
Jon/JethroNull

CarlH

Post by CarlH »

The installer is based purely on Microsoft MSI protocols, we aren't doing anything special in the installer and it's built using a very popular commercial installer package. Only thing I can think of is for some reason on that drive the Exe cannot unpack itself - bear in mind the 150Mb install contains over 750MB of code once all the compilers are taken into consideration. A lot of installers download 'on demand' now hence very small installers / boot-loaders, which download from the internet and install directly but we're not at that level yet. I'm a little stumped on this one I'm afraid.
Carl.