Lack of learning information for the program

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

outlawstc

Lack of learning information for the program

Post by outlawstc »

Hi,
I got to say I like the concepts of graphical programming and how it can lead to quicker and easier to understand programming.. But one thing that frustrates me about this Flowcode is the lack of resources for understanding and learning how to apply a lot of the built in component macros.. I wish Matrix spent more time advancing the built in help menus within the program.. Give more examples of the operations of the components.. explain stuff in more detail..

I fear that there will be a flowcode 7 before they ever get to the point of describing the program in detail.

It seems like the only examples i have found are with the Eblock components which they sell i believe?

Then Matrix wants to offer a 299 euro class half way around the word that cost as much as the professional version..

To bad they dont write a book on how to use it similar to how you can find books for learning microsoft excel or even C programming

I feel like i have a highly capable program but have no access to viable resources for learning it!

Best regards
"If your having code problems I feel bad for you son... I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one"

Jordy101091

Re: Lack of learning information for the program

Post by Jordy101091 »

Hi,

I can understand what your problem is and to be honest I experience this also but not as much as you do because I use flowcode a bit longer.

I think the matrix team is doing there best to keep the information flowing but you have to understand that this is not there only job in the company. However I and others will help you the best we can in learning flowocde so don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you require tutorials please let us know maybe we can mean something for you in the way of creating the tutorials for you, by doing so other can use them as well.

I hope you would continue using flowcode because it's a awesome program.

Regards Jordy
the will to learn, should not be stopped by any price

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi
Agree with Jordy, also there's the wiki which is constantly being expanded, in Matrix main site in the learning centre there are some videos and also an example pack for v6 http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/lc_index.php

Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

There is a course on microcontrollers and v6 available from here, It needs some work to make it better but it's not all that bad at the moment.
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/courses/itm/index.php

I started work on a book early last year. Was based around v5 but most of the theory could be directly applied to v6.

The book is currently far from complete and as such probably full of omissions and mistakes but here it is so far.
Book v0.8.pdf
(766.23 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Is there any demand for this? I wrote it in my own free time but if there is demand then it might be worth my while finishing it and getting it on sale as an ebook.

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Just had a quick skim over it and it looks good. Will have a good look when I get more time.

I would certainly pay a reasonable price when complete as an e-book (or printed but that a different can of worms with getting it printed and distributed)
Advantage of it being written by someone from Matrix is you know the software better than anyone, and can point out features that are not easy to find.

There is always Bert Van Dams Microcontroller Systems Engineering (Elektor).
That covers FC3 so is a bit dated now, but still in my opinion a excellent reference, stays on my bench most of the time.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Steve001 »

There is a V4 and V5 version too (The software is intended for Windows XP)

Link to Microcontroller Systems Engineering - Bert van Dam page

http://www.elektor.com/extra/microcontr ... 1368.lynkx

Link to V4 & V5 Download

http://www.elektor.com/Uploads/2013/3/F ... v4and5.zip

I would pay money too for a ebook Benj

Steve
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

outlawstc

Post by outlawstc »

Thanks for all the kind responses and encouragement to push forward!
I have been using Flowcode v6 for a few months now.. I have already learned a lot.. I'm familiar with Arduino's platform so I did not come into this completely green behind the ears

Thanks Ben for sharing your Book which it looks like you have put a good bit of time and effort in.. I will definitely read over it and I'm sure once you get it perfected you will be able to sell it!
The link you shared with tutorials is just the basics which I understand

More advance resources may not be within hands reach within Matrix presented information/support (work in progress) So I think everyone is right, for now I really need to just take advantage of this forum and become more active!
With the help of you guys maybe I can get a good handle on the advanced stuff!

Thanks
Best Regards,
Outlaw
"If your having code problems I feel bad for you son... I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one"

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Cheers for the comments everyone. Might get back on the book once I've stopped fiddling with LED cubes.

If you have any help or comments about the Flowcode software or the help Wiki. i.e. something you want to know which is not currently documented and probably should be then let us know and we will try and jump on it and get it fixed.