Capacitive touch with a external perphial controller

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

outlawstc

Capacitive touch with a external perphial controller

Post by outlawstc »

A while back ago I was looking into creating a capacitive touch control panel for a project..
I thought I would share this because it seems most tend to want to figure out how to make a micro controller perform capacitive touch sensing with the micro controller itself..
From my reading it would seem that the highest quality capacitive touch system would be a external controller since the method of determining acquisition seems to be different than how it can be done in the main micro controller..
Or at least the method (technology ) it uses if attempted with the micro controller would take a lot of the micro controllers process time
I came across some nice chips made by Atmel which make it possible for a high quality/ reliable detection system that runs itself outside of the micro controller.
It sends a signal to the micro controller indicating a change/ detection.
It communicates with the micro controller through I2C

The chip I used is the AT42QT2120

If you are interested in learning about it, here is a link to its data sheet
http://www.atmel.com/images/doc9634.pdf

I have also attached some pictures of the first board I made for testing this chip..
this panel has 8 push buttons, 1 wheel, and a guard channel..

I created a code for this panel to allow me to see if it functioned properly and everything worked as it should..
Attachments
FILE0899.JPG
(311.22 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
FILE0897.JPG
(316.21 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
FILE0896.JPG
(447.67 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
"If your having code problems I feel bad for you son... I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one"

acestu

Re: Capacitive touch with a external perphial controller

Post by acestu »

Thanks for sharing Outlaw.. :D

Acestu
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.