RGB Led and data scope

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

Crenwick

RGB Led and data scope

Post by Crenwick »

Hi all,

I added data scope to this program as testing purpose to check the pwm out of an rgb led but the outputs seems not to be simulated.

Can someone confirm ? Is this not implemented or a bug ?

Regards,

Bernard
Attachments
RGB_MK3_v6.fcfx
(14.17 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Bernard

Flowcode 6 / EB006-V9

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: RGB Led and data scope

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Bernard,
If a component is using the pin as a digital pin then I guess you can tell if scope will work if you connect LED's to the pins in question.
If when single stepping the LED change status when they are suppose to, then the scope connected to the pins in question should also reflect the changes.

Another thing regarding your flowchart.
If printing string on LCD, you should never use PrintASCII "Some String" but use PrintString "Some String" instead.
Using ASCII for pre V6 was allowed, but it does not work in V6

So when importing from V5, any references to PrintASCII "Some String" should be changed before running flowchart.

Important if your using V6.0.4 or below when using scope:
Either update flowcode (No update exists at the time of writing)
Otherwise It is vital that you go to:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 16&#p52847
To download the scope component.
This will allow the scope to be much easier to use as it gives it a front end:
Scope1.png
(145.09 KiB) Downloaded 4107 times
Martin

Crenwick

Post by Crenwick »

Hi,

Yes, I used Scopeview.fcpx like explained by Jonny. I attached a screenshot.

One more question, is the RGB led component using PWM output (digital) or anolog outputs ?

Bernard
Attachments
RGB.jpg
RGB.jpg (126.3 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
Bernard

Flowcode 6 / EB006-V9

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Crenwick wrote: One more question, is the RGB led component using PWM output (digital) or anolog outputs ?
The outputs of a microcontrollers supoprted by Flowcode will only be digital.
So the scope should be set on digital
As an example
Using Red = 5
Green = 255
and blue = 0
How the RGB works is:
When the LEDRGBTick is encountered then pin connected to green will go high, then about 450us later pin connected to red will go high, then about 7us later they both go off
So the pulse connected to green pin will be wider then the pulse connected to red so green will be more prominent then red.
So you can say the PWM changes depending of the colour values.
This has the effect of changing the average DC voltage measure across each LED although if scoped you will see that the peak voltage is still the same, and its only the pulse width that varies.
The pins won't go high again until LEDRGBTick is again encountered.

For the benefit of others:
If you want the RGB to stay on then its best to place LEDRGBTick within a timer interrupt.

I don't think the scope will detect the pin changing because the pin changing is all taking place under the hood and not using port output icons.

Martin
Martin

Crenwick

Post by Crenwick »

Hi Martin,

Ok, that's clear. Do you already connected the datascope to the new EB006-V9 board (if you have) ? I suppose that in this case the outputs should be visible as they are directly read from the "true" ports of the controller.

If this works then I will certainly upgrade my V7 to V9 board :)

Bernard
Bernard

Flowcode 6 / EB006-V9

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Bernard,
I'm sure the pin changes will be seen with EB006V9 using the built in functionality of the scope.
BenJ will be able to give us more details.
As for owning EB006V9, I hope to own a new updated version as soon as possible as I only own a pre-released version that required updating when the firmware was made even better.

So waiting for the newly updated version to arrive, and can't wait!
I believe it will most certainty be worth upgrading from V7 to V9!

Only thing is the scope and ICT functionality will only be working when Flowcode V6 has been updated.

We have been waiting nearly four months since the last update, so hopefully it will blow us out of the water - so to speak.
Martin

Crenwick

Post by Crenwick »

Maybe version 6.1 :?:

Is there some place on Matrix website or forum where we can see the dev progress and ETA ?

Have a nice weekend !
Bernard

Flowcode 6 / EB006-V9

mahjongg

Post by mahjongg »

I have moved my Flowcode v6 system to a new windows 7 computer, and am now struggling with the data scope function, in the sense that the data scope windows is simply not shown, I cannot turn it on the the view options.
Tried several data scope examples (downloaded), but although they do run, no data scope is shown. Previously this did work on the older machine.
I had installed version 6.0.7, but after I read about the upgrade with "scope monitor" support, I upgraded to version 6.0.9, but it did not make any difference.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi mahjongg,
Welcome to Matrix forums.
mahjongg wrote: in the sense that the data scope windows is simply not shown,
This will happen if you're not running professional version of Flowcode.
If you have bought the professional license then you will need to Reactivate Flowcode for Data scope to work.
This is especially required if upgrading to a new computer or just upgrading Flowcode 6 itself (e.g from V6.0.7 to V6.0.9).
You can check by selecting help, then view Licences.

Martin
Martin

mahjongg

Post by mahjongg »

True, I'm using the "home" license, but how is it possible that previously, with the same license the datascope did work? Remember, it worked previously with the same v6 version, and the same chip pack license!

Also, why don't I get a warning when I try to use the datascope without a proper license?

Lastly it generally also seems to be very unclear which features will work with just a chip pack, and for which you need a professional license.
Only now that I try to simply use the PIC chips PWM engines I discover that I need to purchase the PRO license, I understand that for advanced features (like USB drivers, or webserver support) I need such a license, but just to be able to use PWM?!

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi mahjongg,
Since I don't work for Matrix I can only assume answers.
It does not mean they are necessarily correct.
mahjongg wrote:Remember, it worked previously with the same v6 version, and the same chip pack license!
Could the version you was using had the 30 day full functionality enabled, but now 30days ran out?
mahjongg wrote:Lastly it generally also seems to be very unclear which features will work with just a chip pack, and for which you need a professional license.
If you look at licence info or page 17 of the Data Sheet it does show that the scope will only work with professional & academic versions:
FC6 Features.png
(98.21 KiB) Downloaded 1515 times
I agree that the word Home version could have been placed within the data sheet, but I assumed that for features, Home version will be classed as chip pack only.
mahjongg wrote: Also, why don't I get a warning when I try to use the datascope without a proper license?
That's a good point, perhaps that can be posted in the feature request section?
mahjongg wrote:Only now that I try to simply use the PIC chips PWM engines I discover that I need to purchase the PRO license
Edit: I have just found out that PWM is not available for the home version, so you are correct.

Martin
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Sorry mahjongg,
Although PWM was available in home versions pre V6, its not available in home V6.

So I will edit my post.

Martin
Martin

mahjongg

Post by mahjongg »

I have just gotten conformation from my boss that I can upgrade to the PRO version! :D

mahjongg

Post by mahjongg »

medelec35 wrote:Hi mahjongg,
Since I don't work for Matrix I can only assume answers.
It does not mean they are necessarily correct.
mahjongg wrote:Remember, it worked previously with the same v6 version, and the same chip pack license!
Could the version you was using had the 30 day full functionality enabled, but now 30days ran out?
mahjongg wrote:Lastly it generally also seems to be very unclear which features will work with just a chip pack, and for which you need a professional license.
If you look at licence info or page 17 of the Data Sheet it does show that the scope will only work with professional & academic versions:
The attachment FC6 Features.png is no longer available
I agree that the word Home version could have been placed within the data sheet, but I assumed that for features, Home version will be classed as chip pack only.
mahjongg wrote: Also, why don't I get a warning when I try to use the datascope without a proper license?
That's a good point, perhaps that can be posted in the feature request section?

mahjongg wrote:Only now that I try to simply use the PIC chips PWM engines I discover that I need to purchase the PRO license
Edit: I have just found out that PWM is not available for the home version, so you are correct.

Martin
You must have an older version of the license page in mind, because mine doesn't show that, it now looks like this:
Flowcode license info.jpg
Flowcode license info table
(98.79 KiB) Downloaded 1472 times
as you can see the datascope isn't mentioned at all.
Also it doesn't mention that for PWM a pro license is required, in fact it mentions its not needed for "Input/Output components", I am of the opinion that PWM, as part of the chips I/O capabilities, falls under that category. I don't need a fancy 3D simulated servo, I just want to take a PWM signal and use it to create a DC level with a simple RC circuit, so I'm a bit disappointed that a simple hardware PWM isn't possible with a home license.
By the way, in the past such a simple PWM engine existed, and it automatically came with a graphical ("scope") view of the emitted signal, which was why I started looking for an alternative for it, and tried to use the datascope.