fc_licensing.exe Antivirus warnings

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

DavidA
Matrix Staff

fc_licensing.exe Antivirus warnings

Post by DavidA »

Hello All,

We have had some reports from users that some antivirus programs have been flagging the fc_licensing.exe program as a potential threat.

We an assure you absolutely that there is no threat present in the program, and it is simply a false positive due to some of the processes used in the encrypting and licensing of the Flowcode program.

Please let us know if there are any issues in this thread and we will contact the Antivirus companies and inform them of the mistake and ask them to add the program to their global whitelist.

As a temporary fix most antivirus programs will allow you to "whitelist" any programs or processes so they will not be stopped/removed by the antivirus program. Please add fc_licensing.exe to this whitelist to allow Flowcode to continue working.

Each antivirus program has a different method for adding a program to their whitelist, if you are having problems please reply with the Antivirus program you use and we will try and guide you through the process.

Brendan

Re: fc_licensing.exe Antivirus warnings

Post by Brendan »

Regrettably, my company uses Symantec security to protect all company machines, and corporate policy is rigorously applied such that it's not possible for users to administer the whitelist on affected client machines. The last time this happened (before the last major update) I had to resort taking my own personal laptop to work and sharing it around, as all company licenses were trashed at a stroke.

My prompt for reporting this now is that I am mid-project (VPN on a company laptop) and the admin scan has just flagged the same false positive and once again blocked the license file on this and therefore all work machines. So, once again it's back to taking my personally-owned laptop to work - shared between all-and-sundry, and thereby undermining the security of my own personal data on the same machine.

Not good at-all.

I would add that I'm only seeing this issue with the Flowcode license file, but would also add absolutely no issues whatsoever on my personally-owned/administered laptop, running both NOD32 (full package) and SpyBot S&D in tandem !

Best regards,

Brendan

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Dear All.

I've just received confirmation from our very fine IT support staff that whitelisting of fc_licensing.exe by Symantec was requested and currently in progress, though not possible to confirm exactly when Symantec will be distributing the associated policy update to its customers. One or two days is perhaps most likely.

Should you elect to upgrade your version of Flowcode 6.x.x to 6.1.0 or above, and if you're using Symantec with maintained/updated security policies, users should no longer experience this false flag and quarantined license file.

Naturally I'm unable to speak for other AV vendors and applications, each of which will need to be advised separately where occasion demands.

All the best,

Brendan

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi
After having numerous problems with Kaspersky. (Which I have used for years and personally still prefer over any other package) I tried AVG and Norton.
Both worked without any problems they both added FC6 by default.

I settled on Norton as it was cheaper for a 3 PC licence than AVG was for a single. It also seems a lot less bloated than it was in the early days of Symantec.
Anyway will try Kaspersky again next year.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

I have started using Avira free (apparently uses same engine as paid for version) as that is rated very good for detection's and does not have any issues with flowcode.
Best of all its free!
AV report Oct 2014.png
(269.27 KiB) Downloaded 17990 times
Martin

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Steve001 »

I also use norton (norton one) and have had no issues with v6 since the early days.
When i did have an issue and i reported it via online support i got 90 days free , as an apology for any inconvenience that i may have had

:D :D

Steve
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I'd used Norton Internet Security for years, though dropped it after it couldn't remove a morphing virus that waltzed in, so I located and removed it manually. I then installed Kasperky which promptly discovered five further viruses on the system and automatically removed them.

Time and technology moves on sure enough, though in the end comes down to trust and always wise to remember that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

All the best,

Brendan

EtsDriver

Post by EtsDriver »

F-Secure gives false warnings, AVG-Free and AVG Pro works good, without problems.

EDIT: F-Secure has been informed and they take actions on next update.
Ill just keep the good work up!

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

I've used Kaspersky for years, but had problems with FC6, it kept deleting files. After trying everything it was removed and I tried Norton.
This did not give any problems with FC but did have other issues. I also find Norton is quite heavy of resources (On my system anyway)

Anyway, a new version of Kaspersky has come out recently (15.02.361). This has been working fine with FC 6.1.1.0 for the last week or so.

Though by default FC is shown as low restricted it can be moved to trusted. Something I never got to work 100% with the last release of Kaspersky.
So I'm back to my favourite AV/Security package.
Also, not the main reason I use it, but I get a free 3 seat licence every year from my bank, plus the android version as well. :D Great value.
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I have Norton installed and a day or so ago during a routine scan it decided that mLoader was a threat and quarantined it. From what I can gather this was based on low community usage. Easy to restore and add to whitelist.

Regards