USB Serial

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

outlawstc

USB Serial

Post by outlawstc »

Hello,
Im trying to understand how this component works?? It shows no Pin configuration options in the properties window.. So how is it assigned as a serial macro to perform a transmission on a undefined pin?
"If your having code problems I feel bad for you son... I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one"

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: USB Serial

Post by kersing »

The component works only for Microchip devices with USB build in. For those devices the pins are predefined.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

outlawstc

Post by outlawstc »

So what about a atmega16U2.. it has built in usb serial but they did not make the AVR chip pack capable!! So I guess this means for me i have to implement the configuration in C.. Or Buy the PIC Chip Pack. I love and hate this product in the same sentence.
"If your having code problems I feel bad for you son... I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one"

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

outlawstc wrote:So what about a atmega16U2.. it has built in usb serial but they did not make the AVR chip pack capable!! So I guess this means for me i have to implement the configuration in C.. Or Buy the PIC Chip Pack. I love and hate this product in the same sentence.
Any Software company first implement software for the devices most in use and then they will as the people using the non supported devices get more implement it for those devices
unfortunately AVR are not that popular and you will have the same problem with what ever tool you will use
This is standard industry procedure and nothing wrong from MATRIX ,I do not want to talk for MATRIX however this is my experience over the last 15 years with software tools

outlawstc

Post by outlawstc »

Right but how am i as a buyer buying the product supposed to know that there are these limitations for the components shown to be available in the software during demo. Here was my experience... I bought the 120us dollar chip pack thinking I was gonna get access to all the functions for the AVR chip pack.. Then I found out almost all functions were locked and I needed to buy a professional 300 some odd us dollar professional license to unlock them so I did.. So now I have 400 and some odd dollars tied up in software to unlock the functions provided. Okay So now 400+ dollars in and it seems A lot of ideas I approach fails because I guess I bought a program used primary for pic micros which I did not see much info on when I invested in all the options advertised. Like the actual usb serial component should say (PIC only) on the selection tab. So someone like me who is new to the Flowcode world knows what they are getting.. I found my way into micro controllers through Arduino (Atmel based processor) which Matrix seems to be advertising the compatibility with and also have built in target chip selection based on board name.. As a hobbyist this platform seemed the way to go.. Them new people which may also decide to purchase this as hobbyist really don't know that the components in the menus are not apply able to their Atmel projects.. So i paid 300+ to unlock components that i STILL have no access to with atmel. I dont mind switching to PIC brand for all my future projects but I will have to spend another 120 usd to do it. Then i will be 600 dollars as a hobbyist involved.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

As a cheap workaround you can use a USB to serial Chip and communicate with it from your UART on the AVR and you have the same functionality

http://www.matrixtsl.com/product.php?Pr ... PHPSESSID=
Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (109.23 KiB) Viewed 6916 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion. I have previously looked into supporting USB on AVR and ran straight into a brick wall. I'll try and have another go while we have our GCC AVR expert on hand and let you know how it's going.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Update - We are now working on adding USB to the USB Enabled AVR/Arduino Targets. We have one component USB Serial working well and the others are currently in progress.

outlawstc

Post by outlawstc »

Thanks for the update :)