Rearranging flowchart connections

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

Reverend

Rearranging flowchart connections

Post by Reverend »

Apologies if this is a numpty question, I have looked through help files and tried searching this forum, but have found no references.

Simply put:
A flowchart is created and includes several decision icons.
As functional emulation is checked it is realised that one of the decision branches needs to be reinserted at a different node.
We have found no way to "pick up" and drag the "output branch" and drop it elsewhere in the flowchart.
Must we really recreate the entire flowchart to correct this error?

Rev

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Rearranging flowchart connections

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Rev,
Reverend wrote:We have found no way to "pick up" and drag the "output branch" and drop it elsewhere in the flowchart.
They definitely can be dragged or cut and pasted elsewhere within the flowchart.
Just make sure the simulation has stopped first.
Select the decision icon with the left of the mouse keeping the button held down, drag the decision icon to the new location.
Alternatively, Right-click on the decision icon, select cut.
click on the new location, then Right-click and select paste.
Martin

Reverend

Post by Reverend »

Thanks so much Medelec, but neither of those suggestions worked.
Using the left-click and drag technique nothing at all happened. The flowchart stayed exactly as it was.
Using the right-click and cut technique on the decision icon immediately removed the icon and all its sub-branches from the chart; there was no chart to drop the "paste" into.
Maybe I'll create a very simple vanilla chart and try it. If I'm seeing the same behaviour I'll post the .fcfx so all can see what we're doing wrong!

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Reverend

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Reverend,
If you can post a link to a video, or post some screen shots showing the steps you're taking, then we can see where the issue is?
Martin

Reverend

Post by Reverend »

Hi Medelec, thanks for your prompt reply!

I've attached a screen grab of a simple, contrived chart to show the problem.
I know there are better ways to ring a bell and flash an LED, and I know I haven't included Input Icons to show where decision data comes from.
This is just to show the concept of the question.

You'll see that in a forever loop there's a test "did something happen?"
If it didn't, the loop repeats.

If something did happen, a 2nd decision test for "another thing" is made.
If "another thing" didn't happen, a bell rings for half a second after 2 seconds delay, then the forever loop restarts.
If "another thing" did happen, an LED lights for half a second after a 1 second delay, then the forever loop restarts.

So far so good.....

Now suppose I decide that right back at the first "did something happen?" decision, if nothing happened I'd like the bell to sound before restarting the forever loop. (Now I know it'd be easy to insert a duplicate bell-ringing routine in the "No" branch, but it's the principle of editing we're exploring here.)

Instead of the NO flow joining the square connector before loop restart, I want it to join the second vertical column just above the "Ring a bell" output icon.

Using the right-click-CUT command on the first decision diamond cuts everything to the right, all the sub-paths and actions.
Left clicking and dragging on the diamond, the "NO" path, or the summing square box, does nothing.

Hope that all makes sense; posting a link to a video is a bit beyond us....

Reverend
Attachments
simple chart.jpg
simple chart.jpg (35.76 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

First of all you cant just have

Code: Select all

If 0
within your discussion branch.
It will always be false and will Yes will never be accessed.
Same as If you have

If 1
Then It will always be true and will Yes will alwayss be accessed.
what I do is within a decision branch , if I want to act on a zero value then I just use

If Variable_Name
Then in the No branch (false branch) I place all the icons I want to be executed)
My advice is change the flowchart to use a variable within decision icon, upload your flowchart and we can take it from there.
Martin

Reverend

Post by Reverend »

Hi, thanks again for your patience!

All you say about decision boxes not working because their parameters are fixed is perfectly true. But this was not supposed to be a working chart.
I just lumped some items together to show a flow, and where I wanted to edit the (default) path of one of the decision icons.

(I mentioned that I'd not shown any Input variables - they would have set the decision parameters)

Assuming the decision icons had valid logical data, so could make a choice of "yes" or "no" paths, the flowchart would have flashed a LED or rung a bell appropriately.

I have to be AFK for a while now, but I'll try to cobble a more valid example to display my problem later.

Thanks again for you help.

The Reverend

Reverend

Post by Reverend »

Courtesy post;
thanks for your suggestions medelec, but we've worked around the problem.
If time allows we may revisit this seemingly straightforward problem, but until and unless it's sorted we'll use the basic Arduino IDE.

Thanks again.

The Reverend