C for ARM

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

datalink

C for ARM

Post by datalink »

I installed C4ARM today. Then I started it and went through the program up to the point wehre PN2 started and Ex11.pnproj get loaded.
When I select "Build Project" I get the following error mesage:

> "make.exe" all
> Failed to create process: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. (The system cannot find the file)
> Process Exit Code: 0

I installed it with admin privileges and there is no difference when I run it as admin or user. I also removed it and installed again.

What went wrong?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

I'm not very familiar with this product, but I'll try to help. I've just tried to build a project and I got an error message:

Code: Select all

** No rule to make target 'all': stop
When I double-click the "main.c" file in Programmer's Notepad to view it, I can then "Build All" successfully.

It looks like you need to view the appropriate c file in Programmer's Notepad when building the project.

Please let me know if this fixes your problem. if not, I will look into it further.

datalink

Post by datalink »

steve wrote:I'm not very familiar with this product, but I'll try to help. I've just tried to build a project and I got an error message:

Code: Select all

** No rule to make target 'all': stop
When I double-click the "main.c" file in Programmer's Notepad to view it, I can then "Build All" successfully.

It looks like you need to view the appropriate c file in Programmer's Notepad when building the project.

Please let me know if this fixes your problem. if not, I will look into it further.
In the meantime I installed CforARM on another PC, this time under WIN2000 and the same problem occured.
I wonder why I haven't seen any similar problems on the forum.
It looks like I would be the first user of this ;-)
Hope you will find a solution soon since I would like to use this kit for a new peject.
Peter

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hello Peter,

This is quite a new product for us, which is why there are no other posts about it on this forum. But you're not the first user of this kit (but possibly the first one who has found a problem).

It looks like Programmer's Notepad cannot find the "make.exe" file on your PC. It should live in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\WinARM\utils\bin

Also, this directory should be in the "path" environment variable within Windows. To check, open a command prompt (Start...Run...cmd) and enter the command "path".

If the "make.exe" file is not in the path, then you can point Programmer's Notepad directly to it by going into Tools...Options...Tools. In this window, select "(none - Global Tools)" in the "Scheme" and edit the command for each tool by selecting the line, press "edit" and then press the "..." button next to the "command" line.

I hope this will solve your problem. Please let me know how you get on.

datalink

Post by datalink »

steve wrote:Hello Peter,

This is quite a new product for us, which is why there are no other posts about it on this forum. But you're not the first user of this kit (but possibly the first one who has found a problem).

It looks like Programmer's Notepad cannot find the "make.exe" file on your PC. It should live in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\WinARM\utils\bin

Also, this directory should be in the "path" environment variable within Windows. To check, open a command prompt (Start...Run...cmd) and enter the command "path".

If the "make.exe" file is not in the path, then you can point Programmer's Notepad directly to it by going into Tools...Options...Tools. In this window, select "(none - Global Tools)" in the "Scheme" and edit the command for each tool by selecting the line, press "edit" and then press the "..." button next to the "command" line.

I hope this will solve your problem. Please let me know how you get on.
That makes it clear: the path is as follow:
C:<Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\WinArm\utils\bin;

But on the German version of XP the directory where it is installed is named Programme\

How can I mofify this?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

That's good news that we've found the cause of the problem. Now for the solution...

Either add this directory to the path each time you start your computer by creating a batch file and running it whenever necessary, or edit the locations of these tools within Programmers Notepad as described in my previous post.

I would recommend the latter approach, ie.

1) go into Tools...Options...Tools.
2) In this window, select "(none - Global Tools)" in the "Scheme"
3) Select each tool in turn and press "edit" and then press the "..." button
4) Locate and select the appropriate file (e.g. make.exe)

This way, the changes will be permanent.

datalink

Post by datalink »

steve wrote:That's good news that we've found the cause of the problem. Now for the solution...

Either add this directory to the path each time you start your computer by creating a batch file and running it whenever necessary, or edit the locations of these tools within Programmers Notepad as described in my previous post.

I would recommend the latter approach, ie.

1) go into Tools...Options...Tools.
2) In this window, select "(none - Global Tools)" in the "Scheme"
3) Select each tool in turn and press "edit" and then press the "..." button
4) Locate and select the appropriate file (e.g. make.exe)

This way, the changes will be permanent.
Thanks for your support.
Modifying the path let run the program a bit further - to the next error.
Then, I made a directory "Program Files" and copied the full Matrix Multimedia into it.
Now, its working without any error.
I hope it will remain as it is but will start working with it tomorrow.
Thanks again
Peter

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Peter,

Thank you for being patient and finding the workaround to this problem. It has thrown up problems with our testing procedures that we will correct in future.

datalink

Post by datalink »

steve wrote:Peter,

Thank you for being patient and finding the workaround to this problem. It has thrown up problems with our testing procedures that we will correct in future.
One minor problem I found is: I have to have 2 installations, one in Program Files and the other in Programme, since C4ARM looks in Programme for help.
However, for the moment I'm happy.
Please let me know when you have a "clean" installation procedure.
I'm also willing to test it on my german version.

Other question:
Do you know of any wizard to setup I/O, Timers, UART etc.?

Thanks again
Peter

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

I'm sorry, but I don't. There may be something about this later in the C4ARM course, otherwise you will need to refer to the ARM datasheet.

datalink

Post by datalink »

steve wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't. There may be something about this later in the C4ARM course, otherwise you will need to refer to the ARM datasheet.
Steve
it does not look as good as it seemed yesterday.
Now, I'm able to compile all of the example programs without error.
But programing the chip makes a problem.
When I select "chip programming" in the Tool menu, the first window of the programming utility opens and advices me what buttons to press and hold. Then I hold down the PROG button (how long is correct?) and tap the RESET button. The second window does not open as noted in the instructions, nor the program is loaded. I suppose, it depends on where the files are.
As I already mentioned, I made a directory called "Program Files" and copyied everthing from "Programme" to the new one. This allows me to use the help functions.

What do you recommend? I now have uninstalled and deleted everything from both directories and would like to install new.

- Either should I install as administrator or as user with admin privileges?
- Should I first make a directory "Program Files"?
- Do you think, the new installation would go into this dir without my intervention?
- Or do you have a clean way to install in the meantime or within a few days?
Regards
Peter

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

It sounds like the drivers have not been installed correctly. You should try the following procedure before reinstalling the course. On the CD there is a program called "F:\ARM Board USB Driver Installer\ARMBoardDriverInstaller.exe". Run this program to install the drivers.

Once this has completed successfully, you should take the ARM board and plug it in to the PC using the USB cable - at this stage it should not be recognised by the PC. Power the board up appropriately (either via USB or with a power supply) and make sure that LED1 is on.

The following settings are required for the jumpers: J15 = "default" and J18 = "USB".

Now press down the PROG button, tap the RESET button briefly, and then let go of the PROG button. You won't need to hold down the PROG button for longer than 1 second.

At this stage the PC should recognise that a USB device has been plugged in. The "new hardware" wizard should not appear (because the drivers should have been installed already), but the PC should sound "bong-bing". You should also be able to see the ARM board in the device manager.

If there is still a problem here, we can try reloading the bootloader into the ARM chip (I will send you the instructions for this if we find out this is the problem).

If you get this far, then the board is working ok and you should now reinstall the course. Because of the previous troubles, I suggest you create a new "C:\Program Files" directory and install it into there.

Please let me know how you get on.

datalink

Post by datalink »

steve wrote:It sounds like the drivers have not been installed correctly. You should try the following procedure before reinstalling the course. On the CD there is a program called "F:\ARM Board USB Driver Installer\ARMBoardDriverInstaller.exe". Run this program to install the drivers.

Once this has completed successfully, you should take the ARM board and plug it in to the PC using the USB cable - at this stage it should not be recognised by the PC. Power the board up appropriately (either via USB or with a power supply) and make sure that LED1 is on.

The following settings are required for the jumpers: J15 = "default" and J18 = "USB".

Now press down the PROG button, tap the RESET button briefly, and then let go of the PROG button. You won't need to hold down the PROG button for longer than 1 second.

At this stage the PC should recognise that a USB device has been plugged in. The "new hardware" wizard should not appear (because the drivers should have been installed already), but the PC should sound "bong-bing". You should also be able to see the ARM board in the device manager.

If there is still a problem here, we can try reloading the bootloader into the ARM chip (I will send you the instructions for this if we find out this is the problem).

If you get this far, then the board is working ok and you should now reinstall the course. Because of the previous troubles, I suggest you create a new "C:\Program Files" directory and install it into there.

Please let me know how you get on.
Steve
First I gave admin privileges to the user, then installed the USB driver and the C4ARM software from the CD in to the directory Program Files\Matrix Multimedia. Everything worked fine.
Then I removed the privileges from the user and tested again => programming the chip did not work any longer. I had to reload the USB driver again.
Peter

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Thanks Peter. We'll look into the privilege issue here.

Ian

Post by Ian »

C for ARMs should always be installed as an Administrator.
Anything should be installed as an Administrator whereever possible, as only then do you get full access to all areas that may need to be modified.

In fact the Driver install will fail if it it is not done as an Administrator.

I tested here with a full install as a Admin, adding a Limited user and then plugging the board in. Driver install failed due to non admin account - several clear dialogs spellingtheis out. Logged in as admin and plugged board in. Driver installed.
Board then worked in the Limited user account. Added a second Limited user as well to check and it worked there also.

So in theory it does work. It is figuring out why it doesn't work on your system that is the challenge.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver with a full admin account?

Is there anything that woulddiffer between your sytem and a standard system regarding rights and priviledges?

Anything that might interfere with things, such as extra restrictions on users etc?

datalink

Post by datalink »

Ian wrote:C for ARMs should always be installed as an Administrator.
Anything should be installed as an Administrator whereever possible, as only then do you get full access to all areas that may need to be modified.

In fact the Driver install will fail if it it is not done as an Administrator.

I tested here with a full install as a Admin, adding a Limited user and then plugging the board in. Driver install failed due to non admin account - several clear dialogs spellingtheis out. Logged in as admin and plugged board in. Driver installed.
Board then worked in the Limited user account. Added a second Limited user as well to check and it worked there also.

So in theory it does work. It is figuring out why it doesn't work on your system that is the challenge.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver with a full admin account?

Is there anything that woulddiffer between your sytem and a standard system regarding rights and priviledges?

Anything that might interfere with things, such as extra restrictions on users etc?
Obviously I was not clear. I did it exactly this way and it worked, except the driver which I had to reinstall again as user. Everything is working now.
However a precize "How to do" would help new users.
Peter

Ian

Post by Ian »

We have been looking into the ARM driver issue and found a bug/feature that we believe to be causing the problem.

The Driver install files contains a settings xml file called dpinst.xml
A line of code needs to be added to that file to enable languages other than those explicitly contained.
The line <enableNotListedLanguages/> needs to be added to the <dpInst> section. A full listing of the modified XML is at the end of this post.

The problem is odd in that the general rule is that Language specific settings are normally used to override the default options if that language is present. Otherwise the default language is used (normally English). In this case ONLY those languages present are available unless the extra line of xml is present. However the line is not present in the Microsoft examples and default files - effectively locking them in to an English only install. Unfortunately this slipped through our testing procedures.

MODIFIED XML FILE
=============

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<dpInst>
<legacyMode/>
<enableNotListedLanguages/>

<language code="0x0409">
<dpinstTitle>ARM board Driver Installer for EB031/EB034/EB185.</dpinstTitle>

<welcomeTitle>Welcome to the Matrix ARM board Driver Installer!</welcomeTitle>
<welcomeIntro>This wizard will walk you through updating the drivers for your Matrix ARM board EB031/EB034/EB185.</welcomeIntro>

<eulaHeaderTitle>End User License Agreement</eulaHeaderTitle>
<eulaYesButton>I &accept this EULA</eulaYesButton>
<eulaNoButton>I do &not accept this EULA</eulaNoButton>

<installHeaderTitle>Installing the Driver software for your Matrix ARM board...</installHeaderTitle>

<finishTitle>Matrix ARM board Driver install complete</finishTitle>
<finishText>Matrix ARM board Driver has been installed.</finishText>

<eula type="txt" path="eula.txt" />
</language>
<icon>Matrix.ico</icon>
<watermarkPath>ARMBoard.bmp</watermarkPath>
</dpInst>

Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Hello Peter,

i had exactly the same problems as you. i installed all the programs today.
After i installed on a second computer (both Win XP prof.), and had the same problem, i looked arround here for a solution.

With your solution all is running well (folder "Program Files", many Thanks!!). And i do not have the problems with programming via usb.
I'am logged on as a user with admin rights.

Did you already tested the Test.bin with the Program "mloader"?

Because i had problems at the beginning when i erased the OS from the chip unfortunally.

regards Gernot
sorry for my bad english

datalink

Post by datalink »

Hallo Gernot
ich musste die Sache fΓΌr einpaar Tage zurΓΌckstellen und komme erst in etwa einer Woche wieder dazu. Wie hast du das OS wieder auf das Board gebracht?
Peter

Sorry, again in English:
I have to put back this "problem" for a while, but will be back in a week.
How did you put the OS back to the chip?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

On the C4ARMs CD is a file "EB185-30-1.pdf" which contains the instructions. This is in the "ARM_Board_files" directory.

The only time the bootloader will need to be replaced is if the TST jumper setting is changed from its default position. DO NOT CHANGE THIS JUMPER SETTING UNLESS WE ASK YOU TO - it is for factory setup purposes only.

Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Ich hatte Probleme mit dem USB-Treiber.
Da habe ich wahrscheinlich das ARM OS aus Versehen mit dem TST-Jumper gelöscht.
Anschließend bin ich die Anleitung auf Seite 9 des "E-Blocks ARM programmer Daughter board"-Datenblatts exakt durchgegangen.
Es hat auf Anhieb funktioniert.

Das benötigte Programm SAM-BA befindet sich auf der CD.

Gruß Gernot

I had problems with the USB-Driver.
I propably erased the ARM OS with the TST-Jumper.
After that, i followed the description on page 9 of the "E-Blocks ARM programmer Daughter board"-datasheet step by step.
It worked without any problems.

The requierd Prg. SAM-BA you can find on the CD.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Thanks for the workaround Gernot.

joe

Re: C for ARM

Post by joe »

datalink wrote:I installed C4ARM today. Then I started it and went through the program up to the point wehre PN2 started and Ex11.pnproj get loaded.
When I select "Build Project" I get the following error mesage:

> "make.exe" all
> Failed to create process: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. (The system cannot find the file)
> Process Exit Code: 0

I installed it with admin privileges and there is no difference when I run it as admin or user. I also removed it and installed again.

What went wrong?
I have more as one compiler, Borland, M$.
I have rename make.exe to makeARM.exe.
The problem with false compile is clear.
The message "Failed to create process: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. (The system cannot find the file) Process Exit Code: 0"

I its my next problem.

This "C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\WinARM\utils\bin" its in my systemconfiguration.

Jörg

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Joe
I have rename make.exe to makeARM.exe.
Why did you rename your make.exe file to makeARM.exe did you read somewhere that you was meant to change it.

Also have you tried the earlier suggestion of seeing if the directory is in the Windows path.
this directory should be in the "path" environment variable within Windows. To check, open a command prompt (Start...Run...cmd) and enter the command "path".

Hope this helps :D

joe

Post by joe »

When i call make.exe than run Borland make.exe

im my path its M$, Borland and C4ARM -Programpaths.
Why did you rename your make.exe file to makeARM.exe did you read somewhere that you was meant to change it.

Also have you tried the earlier suggestion of seeing if the directory is in the Windows path.