C for ARM Vista Not...

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

LinkerDude

C for ARM Vista Not...

Post by LinkerDude »

When I install your software package "C for ARM Microcontrollers" it looks like it installs well, but when I compile the first example I gett the following message:
> "make.exe" all
-------- begin --------
arm-elf-gcc (GCC) 4.0.1 (WinARM)
Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Assembling (ARM-only): ../Global/Cstartup.S
arm-elf-gcc -c -mcpu=arm7tdmi -I. -x assembler-with-cpp -DROM_RUN -Wa,-adhlns=../Global/Cstartup.lst,-gstabs ../Global/Cstartup.S -o ../Global/Cstartup.o
arm-elf-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory]
make.exe: *** [../Global/Cstartup.o] Error 1
> Process Exit Code: 2

I tried this on my XP machine and there it works just fine.
Not so on my Vista machine.

I have tryed to instal it as an administrator as I know that Vista can apply security measures that can affect some installations not to include everything but to no success.

Do you have a install package that you know that it work on vista that you can provide to me?
Or, do you have a quick fix to my issue?

Best Regards
LinkerDude

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: C for ARM Vista Not...

Post by Sean »

In XP, the GCC compiler searches some default locations to find the files it requires. Vista seems to prevent GCC from performing this automatic search operation, so a number of additional paths must be added to the Vista environment, or to the tool chain command lines.

The main GCC installation directories that must be added to the Vista path list are:

\bin
\libexec\gcc\arm-elf\4.0.1
\arm-elf\bin

The compiler command line requires the paths to the following GCC installation folders to be supplied as a cpath command:

\arm-elf\include
\lib\gcc\arm-elf\4.0.1\include

The linker command line requires the paths to the following GCC installation folders to be supplied using a -L directive for each one:

arm-elf\lib
lib\gcc\arm-elf\4.0.1

There are several ways to implement these changes for Vista. We hope to be able to release an upgrade that will automate the process in the near future.

LinkerDude

Post by LinkerDude »

Hi,
I tried to add the paths to the system path by navigating through:
Control Panel->System->Advanced settings->Environment Variables, and selecting Path and edit that by adding the path mentioned.
Naturally the full path for example:
………..;C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\libexec\gcc\arm-elf\4.0.1\;………..
Well, the cc1.exe is in one of your path but still it can’t be found.
Oh, and I restarted my computer to be sure that the newly added path would be included.

I admit that I’m far from a path guru so maybe I’m missing some basic knowledge here.
First I tried a .bat file but my skill is apparently not as developed that I could managed that as that did not show up in the Environment Variables. (Maybe new rules for Vista. I don’t know. I even executed that bat file as an administrator by right-clicking the bat file on my desktop).
Maybe if you can create a working .bat file that puts all together you could provide that trough this webboard?
The beginning of the path name may be different from different countries but I use an English OS.
For instance in on a Swedish Vista OS the folder “Program files” are spelled different.

Best Regards
LinkerDude

LinkerDude

Post by LinkerDude »

Weeee, I just got it to work.

For others to know:
I just added this to my path variable:
;C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\WinArm\libexec\gcc\arm-elf\4.0.1;C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\WinArm\arm-elf\bin;C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\WinArm\bin;C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\WinArm\utils\bin;

Now it works.

Best Regards
LinkerDude