serial communication through ICD2 debugger

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

saravana_3

serial communication through ICD2 debugger

Post by saravana_3 »

hi,
i am having a development board(HP-488-00-03) which is not supporting the serial communication, i am using the 16f88 and i am using the ICD2 debugger for debugging the codes, my development board support the ICD2, my ICD2 has the RS232 port,
in this case am i able to do the serial communication between the PC and ICD2, is it any external hardware like max 232 (driver) to step up the voltage to the PC level or the ICD2 itsself already built in with the driver,

is it able to communicate through the hyperterminal in the pc
my PC dont have the serial port am i able to use the serial to USB
thanks
Saran
saran

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: serial communication through ICD2 debugger

Post by Sean »

Hello Saran,

You will not be able to use the RS232 port on the ICD2 to test the serial communications of the PIC16F88 application. If you have access to a max232 circuit you should be able to convert the PIC TX (RB5) and RX (RB2) signals, from the terminals on the right-hand side of the HP-488, to levels suitable for a PC RS232 port. If your PC does not have an RS232 port a USB to RS232 adapter should work (we have tested several of them) and communicate successfully with Hyperterminal.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Saran

Here is an example of how to do the RS232 voltage shifting with simple resistors and diodes. Have a look at the schematic file.

http://www.bobblick.com/techref/project ... dterm.html

This method is probably not as reliable as the Max232 method but I have tested it myself and it does work.

saravana_3

Post by saravana_3 »

thank you Sean
thank you Benj
i will try the both methods
thanks
Saran
saran