HELP- programming pic 16F690

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

gangusgreen

HELP- programming pic 16F690

Post by gangusgreen »

I am have a horrible time trying to program a f690. I've been trying to us the pickit3 but I fear that it is not working and I am getting no help for microchip. That said I tried to program a hex file to the device at work on a universal programmer and had what appeared to be no luck. I Have a usb universal programmer on order and hope that I can program strait threw using flowcode. If not how can I make sure that the hex file generated has the proper control words sent to the chip so that the stupid thing works? I am new to this and getting frustrated by this. When I test the code in the panel box it works fine. Please help.
Bill F

Enamul

Re: HELP- programming pic 16F690

Post by Enamul »

Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

gangusgreen

Post by gangusgreen »

OK it notices the pickit3 now but it gives me this error

PICkit 3 Connected.
PK3Err0045:
You must connect to a target device to use PICkit
3. Return code = 2
Flowcode was unable to transfer the flowchart to the microcontroller. Check the programmer options and physical connections.
FINISHED

gangusgreen

Post by gangusgreen »

OK , I figured out the last issue, it was me - I was plugged into the wrong plug on the board now I am on the device plug on the board and get this

Connecting...
PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.28.56
Firmware type......................Midrange
PICkit 3 Connected.
Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 00000006
Erasing ...
Erase device complete
Programming Device ...
Programming/Verify complete Return code = 0
FINISHED

Now I have this board under power the whole time and no LED's lighting and if I turn the power off and back on still no LEDs. I am running on the device on Internal RC no clock in the settings with the watchdog timer:ON , power up timer :OFF, Master clear enabled : Internal, Code Protect :OFF , Data EE Read Protect : OFF , Internal External Switch over mode : Enabled , Monitor Clock Fail-safe : Enabled and the Brown Out Detect : BOD Enabled,SBORAN Disablebled and the configure word in HEX

gangusgreen

Post by gangusgreen »

LOL, OK you gave me enough info and time to play and the end result is my LEDs are now FLASHING!!!!! :D

Turns out I need to Autoclear the watchdog timer and BAM it worked. THANK YOU for poking me in the right direction. :mrgreen:
Now I can move on with my lessons and learn Flowcode and then design my circuit for the greenhouse PH/EC controllers.
THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!! Can you tell my 2 weeks of frustration just washed away? Have a great day!

Bill F.

PS Now I am dangerous :lol:

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Bill,
Welcome to Flowcode and the forums
it's great that you have got your LED's to flash after being pointed in the right direction.
Bet that feels really good.

Well done.

Martin
Martin